Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Denmark team pursuit [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Impressive ride from Ganna over the last couple of laps: power trumps Denmark’s aero tricks.

Perhaps if the Danes had been cheating with their aero vests and sticky taped legs they may have pinched it.

Awesome ride by the Italian team with great team tactics getting their missile on the front for the last couple of laps.
Quote Reply
Re: Denmark team pursuit [GingerAvenger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GingerAvenger wrote:
trail wrote:
rmt wrote:

Actually, rule 3.2.056 states that a catching rider may not ride in the slipstream of his opponent, on pain of disqualification, so there is a strong argument that the Danes should have been disqualified before the catch actually occurred.

Just like in road TT, you can ride ride up to the wheel, and as long as you don't park there, you're good. Given that Denmark was storming to the finish, zero chance that'd be called.

Except that you cannot ride up into the wheel of the rider that you are catching in a time trial. You have to leave a lateral gap of 2 meters to either side while approaching. UCI road rules 2.4.018. Failure to do this results in a variable time penalty from the table in 2.12.007. The UCI does not stipulate a distance behind that this later gap must be established by. USAC does though.

For USAC: rule 2E6.(b) "No rider shall take pace behind another rider closer than 25 meters (80 feet) ahead or 2 meters (7 feet) to the side. (c) No two riders may ride abreast other than when attempting to pass and such attempts shall not be maintained beyond a distance of 500 meters. If the pass is not made cleanly within 500 meters, the caught rider must drop back to a distance 25 meters behind the rider who caught him."

Standard US lane width is 12 feet. Good luck with this in some instances of TT's where the pavement is shit in the right couple feet of the lane.

I think with TT's, participation is low enough and it's started off a minute apart you don't get the same drafting bullshit that triathlon gets into with the mass or wave starts.

I'm guessing the math on the minute apart start versus how much of a speed delta you'd need to actually catch a rider would mean the pass rule is kind of moot anyway. You'll fly on by.
Quote Reply
Re: Denmark team pursuit [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Brits had dropped their third rider and he needed to finish for it to count. That being said the Danes were catching up to the last rider and not the full "team" which might have been confusing to the officials.

Danish rider Madsen though acted like a tool after, and thus I am glad they lost to Italy.
Quote Reply
Re: Denmark team pursuit [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve heard some rumblings that the Danes were in pace for about 3:40 before the crash. I haven’t looked into the splits enough to know if it’s true or not but insane if it is.
Quote Reply
Re: Denmark team pursuit [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/...ab_channel=NBCSports

Anyone find a longer video than that? Would love to watch a bit more.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Denmark team pursuit [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the Semi they went through 3km in 2.47.502
Then 2.47.659 in the final
So no, not on 3.40 pace unless one of them was going to become Ganna
Quote Reply
Re: Denmark team pursuit [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkippyKitten posted this on twitter. Too funny

“Aerodynamics are for people who can’t make engines”. - Filippo Ganna.
Quote Reply
Re: Denmark team pursuit [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

Silly thing to say when your speciality is racing a bike designed to be aerodynamic, fitted with deep section or disc wheels, and wearing an aero helmet and speedsuit!
Quote Reply
Re: Denmark team pursuit [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
marcag wrote:

Silly thing to say when your speciality is racing a bike designed to be aerodynamic, fitted with deep section or disc wheels, and wearing an aero helmet and speedsuit!

It's a JOKE. It's a famous saying from Filippo's countryman : Enzo Ferrari.

“Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines.” In 1960 race car driver Paul Frère asked Ferrari at Le Mans why the Ferrari 250 TR had a limited speed since the car had quite an impressive windshield. Enzo responded, in his own words, that you don't need to worry about aerodynamics if you build a superb motor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
marcag wrote:

“Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines.” In 1960 race car driver Paul Frère asked Ferrari at Le Mans why the Ferrari 250 TR had a limited speed since the car had quite an impressive windshield. Enzo responded, in his own words, that you don't need to worry about aerodynamics if you build a superb motor.
Yeah, it's fine in that context, but it's hardly obvious to most is it?
Quote Reply
Re: Denmark team pursuit [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
marcag wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
marcag wrote:

You're right. I'll ask Skippy to find a Nascar reference next time
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
marcag wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
marcag wrote:

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

Ferrari would be so proud of this comment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
marcag wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
marcag wrote:

Nascar? Now you're just making it more obscure. I'm not from the US. No chance I'll get a Nascar reference unless it's related to the Cars kids films by Pixar ;)......is that Nascar?

I'm a mechanical engineer, an aerodynamicist, and a cyclist, I have some interest in cars, my partner is from northern Italy, and I'll be 300km from Maranello tomorrow..... but no, I didn't get the reference, so I'm going to stick with claiming it's fairly niche.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess in this case the one stud is strong enough and the team played their game plan right.

Similar to a sprint train I guess, you can have a great leadout team and legless sprinter. Or a stud sprinter and a leadout train that barely ever makes it to the last kilometer together.

To put their efforts in perspective, I think everyone who owns a TT bike should go out and try to do a couple things.........just do a standing start 4km even with using the gears if you want and see what you get. Even cheat it a bit with a false flat or tailwind. Then see how long you can hold 500 to 600w in the extensions. Probably not long, if at all.

Also just try to do a standing start in a 30mph gear and then reach that 30mph quick as you can.

40's mph for 3.5min without a tailwind or hill. Unreal.
Quote Reply
Re: Denmark team pursuit [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go closer to 700w and you’ll be getting a better idea of what it’s like on the front once the team have settled in to 13.x second laps. Insane!
Quote Reply

Prev Next