Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Should I go to Europe to attempt for a 21 Bubble Kona Slot [frebay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Update from one of your Slowtwitch Slavs!

The inaugural Ironman Gdynia (Poland) took place yesterday. Ironman allocated a whopping 75 slots to the 608 finishers. In the largest age group - M40-45 - there were 16 slots up for grabs among 135 finishers. I don't know how far the roll down went, but the 16th guy finished in 10:26. A friend of mine, who cranked out a (quite impressive if you ask me) 10:22, took a slot as well. The conditions on the day were challenging with rain, some wind and choppy seas, but overall Gdynia, with ~4600 feet of elevation change on the bike, is not exactly Wales or Lanzarote.

So if I look at my own placing in races from sprint through 70.3, I mean it's the sort of finishing position I often end up in myself, and being a front-of-middle-of-the-pack kind of guy I'd never dream of reaching Kona level. Granted, people are generally fitter in Ironman and it's probably harder to get a placing like that, but still.

What a strange year.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Should I go to Europe to attempt for a 21 Bubble Kona Slot [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was there, got a last slot in AG 30-34 for Kona. Generally, it was a very tough day in the office, the course was brutal and a lot of us struggled on the last lap into the run. Some AGs have rolled down quite far below, some - didn't.

So I think you need to have some data informed/educated guess, based on which AG you are and how well can you race in it and how the AG itself evolves. Some AGs are extremely difficult to get the slots. In overall, I think in most of the cases - there weren't that many people who did not take their slot from all those 75 on the table.

I think like somebody has mentioned earlier in this thread - some of the people have dropped out due to COVID, but those people who have set their eyes on qualifying 2-3 years ago, have become stronger and did not waste time during the lockdowns and utilised it to their advantage.

http://www.triflections.com
https://www.instagram.com/triflections/
Quote Reply
Re: Should I go to Europe to attempt for a 21 Bubble Kona Slot [Kurinkuji] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats. Hope you've had (or will have) a safe trip back to Lithuania.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply

Prev Next