Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fix or Replace Treadmill?
Quote | Reply
I have a AFG - 5.3 AT treadmill that's about 4 years old. The start-stop buttons have quit working and I hear this is a common problem with treadmills that use these ribbon strips. I'm not sure if the issue is with the buttons themselves, with the control board, or somewhere else. I've looked online and the only part I can find to replace those ribbon buttons would be to replace the whole console for $470 plus tax / shipping, then I have to install it myself and then hope it fixes things.

Now the treadmill was only $1000 new and I'm reluctant to sink more into it, however, my only other option is to buy another treadmill as I need the convenience of a treadmill at home to get in those late night / early morning runs.

What should I do, drop $470+ on parts and try to fix it, or drop $1k or more on a new treadmill?
Quote Reply
Re: Fix or Replace Treadmill? [Consultri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good question.

Have you used it a lot, regularly, put on a lot of miles?

I'd not like to be in your position. I tend to try and fix things to save $ but if it's used and abused, maybe time for a new one. If it's not been used much I would also lean towards replacement if it failed with little use.

Good luck! I have been very happy with my Sole f80 treadmill. They are great .
Quote Reply
Re: Fix or Replace Treadmill? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve trained for 3 Ironmans in that time on it.

If I had to guess I’d say 500 miles per year or 100 hours per year for round numbers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have you gotten a fix quote? some companies won't fix crap treadmills.

given your context there is no way i would take that risk on a cheap treadmill.

buy once, cry once.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ge a new TM. Mainly because you'll actually use it and get real value out of it if you're putting 500ish miles per year on it.
Quote Reply
Re: Fix or Replace Treadmill? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with the comments above me. Not sure I’d spend 470 on a 1k treadmill if you can afford a new one or nicer refurbished/used one. 4 years isn’t bad for a 1k treadmill, to be honest.
Quote Reply