Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rust proof multi-tool?
Quote | Reply
I got a Park Tools multi-tool to carry on the bike. It has only been about a year and it is so rusted that it is almost unusable. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good on-bike tool that isn't going to rust? I'm on a P3X so size is not important.
Quote Reply
Re: Rust proof multi-tool? [tomljones3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had the same issue (albeit from a Topeak tool).

I've since got a Lezyne stainless one.

https://www.google.co.uk/...inless-20-tool%3famp

They do a few sizes/ numbers of tools.
I got the 12 version..all good except it misses a flat screwdriver- which is useful for the flat slot screw head on the brake pad pin on Shimano Road brake discs.
(The 20 wasn't available when in got the 12).
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/road.cc/content/review/3343-lezyne-stainless-12-multi-tool%3famp

Last edited by: BobAjobb: Aug 2, 21 8:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tomljones3 wrote:
I got a Park Tools multi-tool to carry on the bike. It has only been about a year and it is so rusted that it is almost unusable. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good on-bike tool that isn't going to rust? I'm on a P3X so size is not important.

check out Silca tools

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Rust proof multi-tool? [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 for Silca. They are the gold standard. Their quality is off the charts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you need the whole kitchen sink (chain breaker, etc.) or bits for tightening. I carry the Silca torque kit ( https://silca.cc/...e-kit-2nd-generation ) as my go to. With all the carbon pieces in modern frames, etc. it's nice having a torque wrench for fiddling and not worrying about cracking something with some mid-ride ham handing. In SoCal so not as brutal as some humid climates.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most tools are going to rust without some level of maintenance. Gently rubbing some 3 in 1 Oil in the moving parts and wiping it back off once or twice a year will help a multi tool last indefinitely.

I have had the best luck with Crank Brothers multi tools. The new M20 holds tubeless repair strips and includes a tubeless repair tool along with have everything you could ask for. Their old M17 and M19 are fantastic too if you don't need the tubeless plugs and insertion tool.

I disagree with the Silca recommendations. Their T-Ratchet + Ti-Torque Kit is pretty cool if you want to carry that much stuff, but their basic multi tools are not any better than other offerings and I don't think I have seen anybody with one of their folders where the magnets holding the quick links haven't fallen out.

The stick-style ones are fun to use like Fix It Sticks or whatever Abbey calls theirs. You can buy torque 'limiters' for the Fix It Sticks if that's a concern on the road.
Last edited by: dangle: Aug 2, 21 12:14
Quote Reply
Re: Rust proof multi-tool? [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Silca stuff looks great, but isn't the chrome plating the stuff that flakes off and corrodes?

I really like the idea of the torque wrench and the other tool kits they have. I often have the whole family, or at least a couple other people on rides with me so I end up helping maintain 5 or 6 bikes. But I'm always concerned about the corrosion. Between the high humidity and my sweat, nothing lasts very long. The way I sweat makes this guy look dehydrated.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope you find one that works and remember.

"Good Luck we're all counting on you."
Quote Reply
Re: Rust proof multi-tool? [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle is probably right about maintenance. Maybe the best thing to do is lightly oil it and leave it in a ziploc bag since I often go a long time without needing it or thinking about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Rust proof multi-tool? [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
I disagree with the Silca recommendations. Their T-Ratchet + Ti-Torque Kit is pretty cool if you want to carry that much stuff

Admittedly, I pare mine down from the full case into a more compact sleeve with a separate bit case (hello random torx size needed for the hidden rear brake). The full case is pretty though (also the price is up almost 50% from what I remember paying for the 1st gen on sale).
Quote Reply
Re: Rust proof multi-tool? [andrewjshults] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, I clicked over and it certainly isn't cheap. I sometimes carry the Ritchey 5Nm torque key for days I don't mind packing extra. There's not much on a bike you would be worried about torqueing too strongly that 5 Nm wouldn't work. It holds a handful of bits to cover most sizes needed too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Lezyne, Silca, and Crank Bros tool. The Crank Bros has the most rust, then lezyne, then silca.

Last edited by: rob_bell: Aug 2, 21 14:30
Quote Reply
Re: Rust proof multi-tool? [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rob_bell wrote:
I have a Lezyne, Silca, and Crank Bros tool. The Crank Bros has the most rust, then lezyne, then silca.

Wow, now that is a useful post! Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wolf Tooth. A little spendy, but very nice.

Quote Reply
Re: Rust proof multi-tool? [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the photo Rob
I believe that our multi-tools are the only ones using stainless for the tools. I believe the Lezyne 'stainless' multi-tool to have stainless hardware holding the tools to the side plates, but not the tools themselves. Unfortunately, the stainless tool steels can and will develop a bit of surface corrosion over time, but it will be limited.

Our T-ratchet/Ti-torque uses nickel-chrome plated S2 tool steel for the bits, so those will corrode a bit faster than the stainless, but we feel in that tool that the superior hardness of the S2 is worth it, especially when the bits are easily replaceable, unlike the components of a multi-tool

Best
Josh

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I keep mine in a ziploc bag with a very light spray of CRC 6-56. It wraps up nice and tight and doesn't take up any extra space.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had a Pedro's multi tool for a few years now that is in my roadie tool bag and went to it since going to disc brakes since I need the 6mm to remove the wheels.

I've had an Alien since 1993 that resides in my Camelbak for the MTB/Fat bike rides. Over the years I have probably built 6 or 7 bikes with it. Last time I used it? The last time I was on a MTB ride. Did a nice crash and needed to straight out my saddle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for Silca Tredici. Additionally when I snapped the Hex 2 due to a very tight screw, it was duly replaced by the kind Silca folks. Solid after sales service for a simple tool.
Quote Reply
Re: Rust proof multi-tool? [Epong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ended up ordering the Silca Venti since I have so much room to spare. I'll keep it in a ziploc bag with a little machine oil or CRC.

One upside of having 6 bikes to maintain is it gives me the chance to try something else if I don't like something.

Thanks for all the help.
Quote Reply
Re: Rust proof multi-tool? [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joshatsilca wrote:
Thanks for the photo Rob
I believe that our multi-tools are the only ones using stainless for the tools. I believe the Lezyne 'stainless' multi-tool to have stainless hardware holding the tools to the side plates, but not the tools themselves. Unfortunately, the stainless tool steels can and will develop a bit of surface corrosion over time, but it will be limited.

Our T-ratchet/Ti-torque uses nickel-chrome plated S2 tool steel for the bits, so those will corrode a bit faster than the stainless, but we feel in that tool that the superior hardness of the S2 is worth it, especially when the bits are easily replaceable, unlike the components of a multi-tool

Best
Josh

Hi Josh

Can you just clarify please - your multi tools like the Venti (which I really like the look of) - are the tools themselves stainless steel? Or chrome plated ?
Reading the info on your website I got the impression the hardware (= the nuts and bolts) were stainless, but the actual tools were plated (not sure what is the material under the plating).

It says

"The Italian Army Knife VENTI builds on the flat design, forged mid-length tools and Stainless Steel hardware of our award-winning line of Italian Army Knives. Adding new tools including the most ergonomic and functional..."

And
"... and all tools are coated with SILCA's unique high-grip chrome plating which provides better torque transfer at the bolt interface"

(You may of course quite correctly tell me that good quality chrome plating does not corrode so is even better than using stainless.)

I live in rainy England and a non-rusting multi tool will be great as it's hard to keep stuff dry all the time and in winter stuff doesn't dry out too well in the garage !) A non corroding Venti will tick all the boxes for me.

Many thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Rust proof multi-tool? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks and sorry for the confusion. Our tools are stainless AND chrome plated using a slow growing nickel chrome that helps us maintain good tolerances and adds hardness and grip to the underlying material.

Now, as mentioned above, tool steel stainless is not as 'stainless' as some others so the hardware stainless on our tool is like 4x greater corrosion resistance than the stainless tools themselves.. so it is still subject to some corrosion over time, but it's much more limited than what you get with standard carbon steel.

Multitools are really hard to do well as they typically die from corrosion, but all the stuff we can do to really eliminate corrosion makes them prone to twisting, flexing or rounding out when you need them most. We've found what we think is the best blend of functionality and corrosion resistance, but it's a tricky balance as somebody who lives in Phoenix might prefer a harder tool and has never seen a multi-tool rust, while somebody on the coast might prefer the opposite! Either way, the suggestion above of a light WD-40 or similar spray and a plastic bag is a solid suggestion for any multi-tool!

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Re: Rust proof multi-tool? [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply - all understood - and most helpful as always !
Quote Reply
Re: Rust proof multi-tool? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
+1 for Silca. They are the gold standard. Their quality is off the charts.

Yup. Accidentally left my entire tool box open, outside, in the humid PNW a couple nights ago. A few Silca tools included. 80% of all my tools had at least very minor rust on them from one night outside. Mostly in the higher-wear areas of the tool. Nothing catastrophic, thankfully.

Silca did not rust.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Last edited by: DrAlexHarrison: Aug 4, 21 9:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have several of the Lezyne SV Pro V models. I don’t see any signs of rust after several years in our saddle bags, I purchased them because the other lezynes quickly rusted.

https://ride.lezyne.com/products/sv-pro-tool
Quote Reply
Re: Rust proof multi-tool? [shotts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2, a dynaplug pill and that wolf tooth thing will get you through mostly anything,
Quote Reply