Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: USMNT-Why do we suck at soccer? [sosayusall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I largely agree with that. Would certainly be an uphill struggle, but the U.S. team is very young and if they continue to progress and stay healthy it is not out of the question. Still need to find more reliable goal scorers. Honestly, would have more confidence if Jesse Marsch or Patrick Viera was the next coach, but that is what it is.
Quote Reply
Re: USMNT-Why do we suck at soccer? [Tri2gohard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This match against Canada was absolutely a Frenetic Hamster Wheel Pinball Game !

The USA cannot continue to play like this if they want to be a force on the world stage.
Quote Reply
Re: USMNT-Why do we suck at soccer? [HiKai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HiKai wrote:
This match against Canada was absolutely a Frenetic Hamster Wheel Pinball Game !

The USA cannot continue to play like this if they want to be a force on the world stage.

It was bad, but fortunately it was their C team.

Matt Turner though I am a fan of.
Quote Reply
Re: USMNT-Why do we suck at soccer? [HiKai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HiKai wrote:

Nothing to worry about other than Matt Turner, Jesus Ferreira, and possibly Cade Cowell none of these players will make the World Cup List.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: USMNT-Why do we suck at soccer? [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well it was what I thought would happen. We looked horrible in the first half. Made some decent adjustments in the second but were still out played. And frankly I couldn’t see this squad doing well against a fairly full strength Mexico team.

It was our B/C team and we wrote off the cup when they were named. Now back to your regular WC qualifying programming with some friendliest this fall.
Quote Reply
Re: USMNT-Why do we suck at soccer? [crowny2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
crowny2 wrote:
Well it was what I thought would happen. We looked horrible in the first half. Made some decent adjustments in the second but were still out played. And frankly I couldn’t see this squad doing well against a fairly full strength Mexico team.

It was our B/C team and we wrote off the cup when they were named. Now back to your regular WC qualifying programming with some friendliest this fall.

I guess Nations League is more important now? Its tough that they are back to back.
Quote Reply
Re: USMNT-Why do we suck at soccer? [LacticacidMCB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LacticacidMCB wrote:
crowny2 wrote:

I guess Nations League is more important now? Its tough that they are back to back.

I also think they had set the Gold Cup lineup before the end of Nations League so they clearly placed more emphasis on it. Maybe if we hadn’t won the Gold Cup last time it would be different? Of maybe they wanted to test these guys to see what they were made of? Either way I’ll be pulling for Panama so Mexicos woes continue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't say I'm surprised, given how Panama played to date. Maybe a bit surprised that it had to go to PKs.

Rooting for Panama to win it all. They've played well. (and anti-Mexico, just because it's Mexico).
Quote Reply
Re: USMNT-Why do we suck at soccer? [LacticacidMCB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LacticacidMCB wrote:
crowny2 wrote:

Hosting the Gold Cup every two years is pure Concacaf greed.

If Comebol has it basically once every four years, I can't see why Concacaf can't do the same.

I still haven't figured out what winning the Nations League gets. Is it better seeding for World Cup qualifications? Are there benefits other than that?
Quote Reply
Re: USMNT-Why do we suck at soccer? [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
LacticacidMCB wrote:
crowny2 wrote:

Hosting the Gold Cup every two years is pure Concacaf greed.

If Comebol has it basically once every four years, I can't see why Concacaf can't do the same.

I still haven't figured out what winning the Nations League gets. Is it better seeding for World Cup qualifications? Are there benefits other than that?

According to CONCACAF …”the purpose of the competition is to have a regular schedule of international fixtures for CONCACAF's national teams, noting that some teams play fewer than 10 games in a four-year period and needed more competitive games to assist the sport's development in those nations.” Has less to do with the top and more to do with the bottom.

I think it and the Gold Cup should be in 2 year rotations on the off WC years. I agree the GC every 2 years is just a $ grab.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure how the various tourneys (e.g. Gold Cup) are considered. But everything does affect rankings...which in turn affect seedings and brackets for WC placement.

The tourney has a weight associated with it. Example, WC qualifier games are weighted more than friendlies. And friendlies are weighted more or less depeding on time of year as well (off season, in-season) etc.
Quote Reply
Re: USMNT-Why do we suck at soccer? [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:
Not sure how the various tourneys (e.g. Gold Cup) are considered. But everything does affect rankings...which in turn affect seedings and brackets for WC placement.

The tourney has a weight associated with it. Example, WC qualifier games are weighted more than friendlies. And friendlies are weighted more or less depeding on time of year as well (off season, in-season) etc.

I don’t know if it is still the case but in the past if you won both GCs you automatically qualified for the Confederations Cup (which is why they do it every 2 years). Other then that it is a stand alone tournament. The Confederations Cup has been eliminated and the slot replaced with the Club World Cup so there is now no real reason for it to happen every two years.
Last edited by: crowny2: Jul 13, 23 14:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting interview with Jesse Marsch

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thought this fit here. Watching youngest at practice his coach has them all on the correct age size ball and nets. Kudos.

Older son and I taking pot shots on the 24 foot goal a long way from anyone. Like golf shot far.

Up walks a troupe of maybe 4 year olds and their coach sets up camp in front of the 24 foot goal while the 10 foot or whatever goals are easily a golf shot away also.

Whatever, not our spot. Who cares. But made me think, why? More instagrams for the little ones to use a big goal? No idea but I often see a lot of “weird” coaching of young kids.

Like, why is warmups the entire team taking shots? You watch older challenge kids or schools and see more positions specific drills and warmups and skills. Only a couple people are really setup to score.

My kids won’t be Messi. But still, you can teach kids right. We had other coaches do that stuff in the past and those teams often lost.

The other reason I felt this fit is field or space available in the US still seems to be more about walled off spaces than public spaces. Like public “cages” and stuff. If those kids only had a 24 foot goal to use, why? That makes no sense.

I still feel in the US we are often curating talent from those able to pay.

I volunteered to teach golf years ago, we could still teach good golf even of our service was free to a kid. Maybe they don’t want to coach due to difficult parents.
Quote Reply
Re: USMNT-Why do we suck at soccer? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Thought this fit here. Watching youngest at practice his coach has them all on the correct age size ball and nets. Kudos.

Older son and I taking pot shots on the 24 foot goal a long way from anyone. Like golf shot far.

Up walks a troupe of maybe 4 year olds and their coach sets up camp in front of the 24 foot goal while the 10 foot or whatever goals are easily a golf shot away also.

Whatever, not our spot. Who cares. But made me think, why? More instagrams for the little ones to use a big goal? No idea but I often see a lot of “weird” coaching of young kids.

Like, why is warmups the entire team taking shots? You watch older challenge kids or schools and see more positions specific drills and warmups and skills. Only a couple people are really setup to score.

My kids won’t be Messi. But still, you can teach kids right. We had other coaches do that stuff in the past and those teams often lost.

The other reason I felt this fit is field or space available in the US still seems to be more about walled off spaces than public spaces. Like public “cages” and stuff. If those kids only had a 24 foot goal to use, why? That makes no sense.

I still feel in the US we are often curating talent from those able to pay.

I volunteered to teach golf years ago, we could still teach good golf even of our service was free to a kid. Maybe they don’t want to coach due to difficult parents.

Your instinct is correct.

At 4 years old, every kid should have a ball at their feet as much as possible. 24 kids. 24 balls. Lots of dribbling and uncontested shooting on small goals. No real game play.

Here's the thing: At 4, they want the ball. However, as coaches the easiest thing for us to coach to show "improvement" to parents is the dreaded "spread out". That's so backwards, but teaching dribbling skills requires a coach who understands the technique and has patience. At this age, they all want the ball so we should just let them have it! Win win.

By the time our players are 12, every travel coach complains they don't have a scorer. Duh, that's because when they were 4, we told them to pass and not take defenders on.

The most important attacking move to teach at 4 is you will lose the ball when you take defenders on. Don't worry about that. Just get it back. That mentality is fundamental. It creates fearless, confident attackers.

I have coached over 2000 players ages 18 months to 5 years old in the Philly area. It can be done this way.
Quote Reply
Re: USMNT-Why do we suck at soccer? [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We’ve got quite the starting lineup tonight against Mexico. Dare I say close to full strength and personally Im happy to see Gio starting. Hope Adams stays healthy.

Unfortunately quite an uneventful 35 min thus far. But we do look a little better in the final third. Just need to get there more.
Quote Reply
Re: USMNT-Why do we suck at soccer? [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dest showing some flair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fuuuucking hell Ty!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Giooo!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another Dos a Cero, nice!
Quote Reply
Re: USMNT-Why do we suck at soccer? [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:

Damn straight! Frustration showing on the Mexican side as the fans keep showing their class chanting "puto" and the game had to be suspended multiple times.

Pulisic and Weah seemed inda absent tonight; didn't contribute much or play to their potential. Our back line looked tight. Dest's dribbling skills raised the level last night.

Lets get to 2026 on the right path with this lot!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was so off the grid the whole weekend, that I didn't even know there was a game! Against Mexico, with our A-team, and a win! Bummer I missed the whole thing.

One thing about soccer, watching a replay when the score is known is totally not the same.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
Nutella wrote:

Damn straight! Frustration showing on the Mexican side as the fans keep showing their class chanting "puto" and the game had to be suspended multiple times.

Pulisic and Weah seemed inda absent tonight; didn't contribute much or play to their potential. Our back line looked tight. Dest's dribbling skills raised the level last night.

Lets get to 2026 on the right path with this lot!

I wonder when they flew over from Italy? No way their body clocks were ready for a game that stated at 3 am Italy time. I missed the game because i fell asleep because I just got back from Europe a few days ago, I can't imagine playing.

Mexican fans are classless. Always have been.
Quote Reply

Prev Next