Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Delta Air fee for bike
Quote | Reply
Anyone gone on Delta with a bike in a case recently? Their website says as long as the item is less than 50 lbs and the case is less than 115 inches in dimension (total), it can be counted as a checked bag. Delta used to charge $150 (or more) each way for a bike, so what is it now?
Quote Reply
Re: Delta Air fee for bike [cestmoi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cestmoi wrote:
Anyone gone on Delta with a bike in a case recently? Their website says as long as the item is less than 50 lbs and the case is less than 115 inches in dimension (total), it can be counted as a checked bag. Delta used to charge $150 (or more) each way for a bike, so what is it now?

i don't think anything has changed since this was written.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have, and I was not charged.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flew Delta with bike in June. Under 50lbs they just charged $30 each way as an “oversize” fee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cestmoi wrote:

I flew in March and my bike flew for the price of a bag (which is free for me because I'm a medallion member) no extra fee. Under 50 lbs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I flew with a bike on Delta, they destroyed my bike case. Fortunately I had a titanium bike and it avoided damage.

IMHO, Delta sucks. Yes, I hold a grudge.
Quote Reply
Re: Delta Air fee for bike [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
When I flew with a bike on Delta, they destroyed my bike case. Fortunately I had a titanium bike and it avoided damage.

IMHO, Delta sucks. Yes, I hold a grudge.

crap - sorry to hear that, regardless of the titanium bike. I feel like all US carriers are horrible because I just flew American had a really bad experience overall (not that it was ever that good, IMO).

thanks to others for answering on this!
Quote Reply
Re: Delta Air fee for bike [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just out of curiosity what bike box was it? I'm currently bike box shopping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a biospeed soft case. Flew a few weeks ago. $30 each way. Boom.
Quote Reply
Re: Delta Air fee for bike [cabdoctor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cabdoctor wrote:

FWIW, I bought an Orucase, which passed through a United flight and two American flight check-ins with only a checked baggage charge. Same for my traveling companion, who had an even larger Orucase (he's like 6'5"). No damage to either bag or bike. Requires more disassembly than larger bags.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two flights on Delta recently with a Thule Roundtrip and with my road bike, it weighs over 50lbs. I've never been charged. FWIW, flew American last week and the ticket agent didn't even weigh the case at all..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Delta Am Ex. card and my bike flies free everywhere I go. I've only traveled in the US and to Mexico, so can't speak to other foreign travel. I always use a hard case and have had zero issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Delta Am Ex. card and my bike flies free everywhere I go. I've only traveled in the US and to Mexico, so can't speak to other foreign travel. I always use a hard case and have had zero issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently flew (last weekend) with a premier bike case. I was 62ish lbs and wasn’t charged anything. But I’m a silver member and my wife is gold on delta (she flew with me).

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have. This monster. Was upgraded to first class for less than the cost of a checked bag, by some quirk in the algorithms they use. Got to check that thing for free, but did have to rearrange contents between all luggage to finagle down to 50 pounds on the dot.

Same story on the way back. Just a standard checked bag fee for the bike.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Delta Air fee for bike [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a friend with that bag and I was very impressed.

We flew at the same time and her's flew for the price of a bag as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like the others, I flew Delta recently and was not charged for my bike box, counted as a regular bag. However, on the way back I was over 50lbs and they wanted to charge me an exorbitant fee ( >$100) so I ended up having to unpack and get rid of some things to get down to weight, which is not fun when you are tight on time in the middle of the airport...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I flew with Delta one month ago with an EVOC bike bag and was not charged. I am Delta Sky Priority and was I think Silver Medallion at the time with a Delta Sky Miles Reserve card, though, so that could be a part of it. My bike and wheels arrived unharmed and I had a great experience. Was a really nice bike travel experience overall.
Quote Reply
Re: Delta Air fee for bike [Zissou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I normally put my pedals, tools, seatpost/saddle, tire pump and other small heavy items in my normal checked bag and put water bottles and helmet in the bike box.

Whatever seems heavy I try to get out of the bike box. I'm normally near 48 lbs with a Trico Ironcase.
Quote Reply
Re: Delta Air fee for bike [cabdoctor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cabdoctor wrote:

I sadly forget but 10 years ago it cost me $500.
The remnants of the case also had a hole that was the exact shape and size of a shoe.

It clearly had fallen off of the luggage cart and slid across the tarmac given the abrasions on the bike box.
Quote Reply