Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Overcoming heart attack and injuries at 50
Quote | Reply
Well....I'm all in (again) at 50.
Ankle surgery twice, heart attack and major injuries from a horse accident, but my goal has been to be an Ironman finisher since my first triathlon when I was in my mid 30's.
I was very competitive in my 30's and qualified for the AG National Championships (Olympic) at 36. In the last 7 years, I've had major injuries and health issues that put all things triathlon on the back burner.
In 2014 I was registered for IMCd'A and training hard, with a "dream" of qualifying for Kona;). During a training run I began having ankle pain. Long story short, I had major ankle surgery to repair massive cartilage breakdown in the ankle joint. I never got real relief from that and resigned to not being able to run anymore. A year later while training a horse (I own horses/mules) I was thrown and had 18 displaced rib fractures, 2 vertebrae cracks and a punctured lung that landed me in critical care nearly d.o.a. Eleven days later I had a major Pulmonary Embolism from the chest trauma. Thankfully, I wasn't killed and did not have a stroke. This led to months of sleeping in a chair and rehab. Two and a half years ago, I was shocked to find myself in the hospital again, except this time it was with a heart attack... My previous injuries had led to complacency and a lack of ability to exercise and my unhealthy eating habits while traveling for work, caught up to me. Thankfully (again), I survived w/out heart damage and only a single stent in my heart. Something obviously had to change. I scheduled a second ankle surgery and it made a big difference, but not 100%.
Fast forward to this Summer. I was in Cd'A to see the build up for Ironman in June and felt such a longing to get back in shape and once again try to get to the start line of an Ironman.
I recently found a chiro/sports therapist in Helena, MT where I live that committed to helping me regain expansion in my chest/lungs (horse wreck issue) and work on my ankle/foot. For the first time since 2014 I have no pain in my ankle/foot!! I have begun swimming, run/walking and biking again! I have a long ways to go, but my journey has begun and I will overcome!
I will be on the start line at IMCdA 70.3 next June and with health and luck, will toe the line at my first full IM in the next few years.
Don't let an injury or injuries lead you down the nasty path I traveled over the last 7 years. Chin up, chest out, overcome!
Here's to a brighter, healthier, injury free future! Cheers.

50 and getting back to racing.
Quote Reply
Re: Overcoming heart attack and injuries at 50 [soretaint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you're lucky to be alive. Everything's a bonus after that!

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Re: Overcoming heart attack and injuries at 50 [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fuller wrote:
Sounds like you're lucky to be alive. Everything's a bonus after that!

That is a fact! :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good Luck and hope all goes well.

With everything else you didn't even mention the soreness of your taint, which I don't think I could stand as a chronic condition at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Overcoming heart attack and injuries at 50 [opusTpenguin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
opusTpenguin wrote:
Good Luck and hope all goes well.

With everything else you didn't even mention the soreness of your taint, which I don't think I could stand as a chronic condition at all.

Lol:) I may change my username after being back in the saddle for a while. But for now......;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What does your cardiologist/doctor think about doing an IM? Chin up, chest out is all bravado until you end up back in the hospital.
Quote Reply
Re: Overcoming heart attack and injuries at 50 [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
softrun wrote:
What does your cardiologist/doctor think about doing an IM? Chin up, chest out is all bravado until you end up back in the hospital.

That is a valid concern. Obviously, I continue to consult closely with the docs... Thankfully, there was zero heart damage as a result of the blockage I had. With strict diet/exercise/cholesterol controls in place, it's not an issue at this time. I choose "bravado", or whatever you want to call it, and living life to the fullest over fear of what may be. As mentioned above, every day is a bonus at this point and I'll live accordingly. :-) Cheers.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
soretaint wrote:
softrun wrote:

That is a valid concern. Obviously, I continue to consult closely with the docs... Thankfully, there was zero heart damage as a result of the blockage I had. With strict diet/exercise/cholesterol controls in place, it's not an issue at this time. I choose "bravado", or whatever you want to call it, and living life to the fullest over fear of what may be. As mentioned above, every day is a bonus at this point and I'll live accordingly. :-) Cheers.

I hear you. Two years ago I had a seizure, just like that, out of the blue. Spent 2 days in hospital totally comatose, don't remember anything. Recovered well, off meds for the past year. The neurologist is happy with MRI etc. Every day is a gift indeed. Take care...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
softrun wrote:
soretaint wrote:
softrun wrote:

I hear you. Two years ago I had a seizure, just like that, out of the blue. Spent 2 days in hospital totally comatose, don't remember anything. Recovered well, off meds for the past year. The neurologist is happy with MRI etc. Every day is a gift indeed. Take care...

Was 21 when I woke up with a racing heart beat, 6 days later I had full blown open heart surgery. It changes one's perspective and one's desire to walk around without a shirt.

Of course now a days WPW is nearly outpatient surgery, when I tell doctors of a certain age that I needed open heart surgery for it they look at me like I am from the stone age. Coming up on my 30th anniversary of the surgery this coming February.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
softrun wrote:
soretaint wrote:
softrun wrote:

Scary stuff, glad you're ok!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I have a guy who uses the locker next to mine at the YMCA who calls me "The Come Back Kid" I don't think he's ever bothered to learn my actual name.

I just passed the 5 year anniversary of my Flat-line / Widowmaker event. Like you I was very lucky to bounce back and get back to racing again. I have no activity restrictions and only the smallest amount of heart muscle damage according to the latest nuclear stress test. It feels great to come back from adversity and makes for an interesting cocktail party story for those who are willing to listen to it.

For the first 6 months afterwards I was more or less physically sound but a real mess emotionally - at some point I put it behind me and started working on my fitness and not just survival. I assume you've reached that point and are ready to rock!

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Re: Overcoming heart attack and injuries at 50 [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fuller wrote:
I have a guy who uses the locker next to mine at the YMCA who calls me "The Come Back Kid" I don't think he's ever bothered to learn my actual name.

I just passed the 5 year anniversary of my Flat-line / Widowmaker event. Like you I was very lucky to bounce back and get back to racing again. I have no activity restrictions and only the smallest amount of heart muscle damage according to the latest nuclear stress test. It feels great to come back from adversity and makes for an interesting cocktail party story for those who are willing to listen to it.

For the first 6 months afterwards I was more or less physically sound but a real mess emotionally - at some point I put it behind me and started working on my fitness and not just survival. I assume you've reached that point and are ready to rock!

Sorry you had to deal with that, but awesome that you're racing and doing well now!! I can totally relate to being an emotional mess after a heart attack... Getting past the mental aspect and feeling like every "twinge" is another heart attack is a huge battle. Thanks for the note, it's really encouraging to hear from someone else that has bounced back! Cheers! - John

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Helena is awesome. I enjoyed my visit and the trail marathon immensely. Sad I missed eating the blue MSU ice cream.

Based on your lower body wreck are you focusing your training on biking and swimming? Having a confident SB will make the run gravy.

As somebody who will be 50 this year forget your 30s. You are a different person and comparisons are unfair. Beating yourself up because you are slower or can't train with the same volume is unproductive.

Enjoy the journey(training) and stay positive.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Re: Overcoming heart attack and injuries at 50 [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
linhardt wrote:
Helena is awesome. I enjoyed my visit and the trail marathon immensely. Sad I missed eating the blue MSU ice cream.

Based on your lower body wreck are you focusing your training on biking and swimming? Having a confident SB will make the run gravy.

As somebody who will be 50 this year forget your 30s. You are a different person and comparisons are unfair. Beating yourself up because you are slower or can't train with the same volume is unproductive.

Enjoy the journey(training) and stay positive.

Yes, we love Helena. Just not too many triathletes locally:)
Not sure I know what you mean by “confident SB”..?
Definitely not as fast as I used to be on a bike or run, but my swimming speed is maybe better now for some reason.
Will certainly keep the run volume much lower to reduce the risk of RE-injuring the ankle.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Confident SB - swim-bike - meaning if 3 parts of the triathlon are going well swim-bike-transitions the run will be easy as imo bad runs are caused by overdoing it on the bike.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Re: Overcoming heart attack and injuries at 50 [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
linhardt wrote:
Confident SB - swim-bike - meaning if 3 parts of the triathlon are going well swim-bike-transitions the run will be easy as imo bad runs are caused by overdoing it on the bike.

Got it:) Thanks!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you’ve been through some tough times. Best wishes on your journey. Take your time, listen to the professionals (coach, MDs, physios, etc) and keep advancing toward your goals.
Quote Reply
Re: Overcoming heart attack and injuries at 50 [Jimmy B.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jimmy B. wrote:
Sounds like you’ve been through some tough times. Best wishes on your journey. Take your time, listen to the professionals (coach, MDs, physios, etc) and keep advancing toward your goals.

Thank you sir:) Lots of work to do, but feeling good and looking forward to the journey.

Quote Reply