Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Completed my first 70.3. Oregon 70.3
Quote | Reply
As seen here:
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...__P7492940/#p7492940

I had a background in running. 17:04 5k and 2:51 marathon from a couple years back but I had been dealing with injuries and i had completely quit running for a year. After a couple months of light jogging, my buddy asked me to do the oregon 70.3. I was about 20 pounds heavier than my previous race weight and barely in shape. I had 3 months to train. I'm a competitive type person and I had no desire to do the triathlon with the goal of "finishing." I wanted to race it to the best of my fitness ability on race day. I think I'm an ok swimmer for someone that has never swam competitively and no idea on form. Maybe 1:50 pace for 3200 in a pool without flip turns. I had never cycled before. I bought a used "neil pryde diablo" from craigslist.

I did a practice Olympic triathlon at the beginning of june. The swim went HORRIBLY. I heard that it can be chaotic but totally underestimated it. I thought I'd start in the back to let some of the chaos subside and I could do my own thing. BIG mistake. It was a very narrow path to swim and I was stuck between the fat people that couldnt swim and the next wave of fast women trying to pass. I had a total panic attack and just stood there. I'd try to swim but I was hyperventilating. I had the feeling of being in a war and having grenades thrown down on me. I completely froze. I ended up back stroking 90% of the race. The bike; it was a short course. I think it was around 20 miles. I was on gatorskins, but it was flat and fast and I averaged 19.5mph. The run, I had no idea what shape I was in, but i finished the 10k in 40:40 or so.

The Oregon 70.3. Being that it was single file and a nice wide river to swim, It was a totally different experience. I was completely calm the entire time. I freestyled the whole thing and never felt any panic. I had tinted goggles and didnt have any trouble sighting like other people. Not at least until the end when I wasnt paying attention to the kayaks and kept running in to them.

The bike... i switched out my gator skins for Michelin power time trials and latex tubes. I also went and got a bike fit. The fitter got my bike to wear he said my ergonomics are in the realm of a tri bike. They claimed it was totally flat in the race description. I'm new to cycling but that didnt seem that flat to me. There were lots of rolling hills and a few really steep ones. I tried to push myself of the bike but still hold back. I averaged 19.88. I was happy with that, considering it was almost 3 times as far as my Olympic and much more elevation, I averaged like .4 faster. Probably mostly due to new tires. By the end of the bike, I was starting to get a little nauseous. Like I had drank too much liquid

The run, it was immediately clear it was going to be hot and I'd get overheated. Couple that with the fact that I didnt think I could hold down any more liquid and I already felt like I had liquid sloshing in my stomach. At the aid stations, I'd just take a sip of Gatorade and pour water on my head. I was going to aim for about 1:30 finish time, but after like 4 miles, I knew it was going to get ugly and I just started jogging. By like 8 miles, I really started to break down. I knew I was getting dehydrated, but I also felt like I would vomit. I was still only taking small sips. After 8 miles, I felt like I was barely moving. I'd walk through the aid stations and slow jog the rest of the time. It really took everything I had just to finish. I finished the run in 1:42:33. I was pretty disappointed with that. I really wanted to break 5 hours, especially with the smoking fast downstream swim. I finished in 5:02:48.

I was sick for a good 6 hours after the race. Completely dehydrated, but I would vomit anything I tried to drink.

There is another Olympic triathlon on the exact same course that I did a month ago. I'm going to do it again and see if i can redeem myself on the swim
Last edited by: Jimmy21: Jul 29, 21 13:26
Quote Reply
Re: Completed my first 70.3. Oregon 70.3 [Jimmy21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds normal. Welcome to being a Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good showing, your experience including your run is literally what I would expect for a first timer for the distance with minimal Oly/sprint background. Don't worry, you'll get a lot faster, including your run given your run background. And no, it won't because you will become a stronger pure runner, but you'll just get less fatigued on the swim/bike prior to the run with more training there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the race report and congrats on finishing your first 70.3! I was volunteering at the first run aid station and hoped I got you what you needed :-).

I hope to do Oregon 70.3 next year - maybe I'll see you there!

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jimmy,

Great work. Welcome. Once you know you're committed please get a bike fit BEFORE you buy a tri bike.

Keep at it.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Completed my first 70.3. Oregon 70.3 [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Good showing, your experience including your run is literally what I would expect for a first timer for the distance with minimal Oly/sprint background. Don't worry, you'll get a lot faster, including your run given your run background. And no, it won't because you will become a stronger pure runner, but you'll just get less fatigued on the swim/bike prior to the run with more training there.

Any idea on nutrition? How to stop from feeling like I've drank too much liquid? I've had that happen on multiple long races where the liquid feels like it's just sloshing in my stomach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, I think your result in your first 70.3 is fantastic. I think a 1:42 whilst feeling sick and in the heat is still a great showing, but I understand as a runner that you are disappointed. Don't be. Lost of things to learn as a newbie and as someone else said, you'll get faster with more training and racing.

I am likely not the one that should be giving any advice about most things triathlon, but here are a few things that I think of after reading your post.

There are tons of posts on here about nutrition. Go thru and read some of them and see if anything is helpful to you. It'll take time and lots of stuff is likely to be irrelevant, but still worth some time. Dr. Alex Harrison has lots of info and often comments in those posts and may be very helpful to you.

Questions:

Do you know exactly how much you drank on the bike? How many bottles and what their capacity was (I assume 24 oz)? What drink did you use on the bike? Gatorade, gatorade endurance, water, Tailwind, NUUN, etc? You said you felt like you had too much after the bike, but then couldnt drink much on the run on a hot day. Thats certainly not a great combo. Did you consume any gels? If so what ones? Did anything you consume have caffeine?

I am guessing that the best thing for you i terms of improving your nutrition plan is to pay close attention on your long training rides to how much and what you are consuming. Experiment in training with what you would do on race day and take note as to how you feel during/after the ride and maybe you ultimately find the right combination of fluid amount and type.

Also, maybe consider food as a source of energy during a ride for you instead of all liquid?????
Quote Reply
Re: Completed my first 70.3. Oregon 70.3 [curdog16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
curdog16 wrote:

Questions:

Do you know exactly how much you drank on the bike? How many bottles and what their capacity was (I assume 24 oz)? What drink did you use on the bike? Gatorade, gatorade endurance, water, Tailwind, NUUN, etc? You said you felt like you had too much after the bike, but then couldnt drink much on the run on a hot day. Thats certainly not a great combo. Did you consume any gels? If so what ones? Did anything you consume have caffeine?

I am guessing that the best thing for you i terms of improving your nutrition plan is to pay close attention on your long training rides to how much and what you are consuming. Experiment in training with what you would do on race day and take note as to how you feel during/after the ride and maybe you ultimately find the right combination of fluid amount and type.

Also, maybe consider food as a source of energy during a ride for you instead of all liquid?????

I think I had about 60 oz of Gatorade endurance, 3 stinger waffles and 6 Gu gels
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
60 oz seems like a lot to me, but maybe not to others. I usually top out at 48 ish oz or so for a 60 mile ride. Others may disagree.

Try taking in less fluid on a long ride but be sure to still get enough carbs/electrolytes/calories etc other ways and see if your stomach avoids that sloshy sensation and that you still hav energy for a quality run.
Quote Reply