Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How an Athlete Dropped Almost 90 Seconds in an 800m Swim TT in 8 weeks [AS88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While the demonstration of correct/incorrect in the video is spot on that’s not something I would have as a focus.

Hope this helps,

Tim

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: How an Athlete Dropped Almost 90 Seconds in an 800m Swim TT in 8 weeks [frebay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
frebay wrote:
SnappingT wrote:
If you don't have the fitness specific to swimming then you probably aren't going to be able to improve your technique.

I feel like I have this problem, what are some exercises you recommend to benefit the swim fitness? More time in the water or more dryland excercises like core work and weights?

I swam a ton with a pull buoy mostly and then paddles also with a pull buoy. I know a lot people don’t have this perspective because they started swimming when they were three, but there is a lot of stuff going on in the lower half of your body that is exhausting.

If you do pull buoy work primarily to start it works on building up your upper body endurance that if you didn’t swim you don’t have. Trying to improve your upper body endurance at the same time as you don’t know what your lower half of your body is exhausting and you lose yardage you could get in by using a pull buoy.

Most races I was doing were wetsuit legal any ways so it wasn’t a big deal, but even if you aren’t wetsuit legal, I think this gets you stronger to be more comfortable with or without a wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Re: How an Athlete Dropped Almost 90 Seconds in an 800m Swim TT in 8 weeks [frebay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
frebay wrote:

I feel like I have this problem, what are some exercises you recommend to benefit the swim fitness? More time in the water or more dryland excercises like core work and weights?

the best way to build swim fitness is swim more often and/or add in a few hundred easy to the end of a swim. I know this is the antithesis to what many triathletes prefer doing though

I often have my athletes use fins for any drill sets that we do, which aren't often. For a lot of drills having fins provides enough speed so you're not floundering trying to stay on top of the water.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: How an Athlete Dropped Almost 90 Seconds in an 800m Swim TT in 8 weeks [SnappingT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SnappingT wrote:
I can’t think of a time that I would cue an athlete with “lead from the wrist” or “lead from the elbow” on the recovery. Ultimately, you want to get it to the point where your focus and attention is primarily on your hands and the amount of pressure you can put and hold through the pull phase of the stroke and the connection to the core with the core coordinating/directing a lot of the power of the movement.. Your attention will check other parts of the stroke, but we are trying to train it where a lot of the movement is automatic and there isn’t much conscious thought involved in making the movement.

In regards to the recovery part of the stroke, you should be relaxed. If you want something specific, most of the best distance swimmers have their shoulders about 30-40% off the plane of the water on the recovery.

This video was just posted of the reigning Olympic champions in the mile swimming a best effort set in practice. You can check out their strokes.

Finke & Ledecky Video

Hope this helps,

Tim

I just love this video b/c it shows just how hard these guys are working. Finke and Ledecky were just getting after it big-time!!! I believe this video is the best I've seen in terms of showing D swimmers in training. I can't recall having seen this type of video before. I've watched it 4 times now. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply

Prev Next