Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMWI moving to June in 2022 and beyond [coredump] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coredump wrote:
People aren't going to want to ride HHH and race IMWI in the same month.

They won't even be able to since they are the same day now. Isn't HHH usually Father's Day? I'm signed up for IMWI this year and glad I will get to do it one last time. Agree with you this will end up taking a lot of local events with it as it dies over the next few years.
Quote Reply
Re: IMWI moving to June in 2022 and beyond [davetopia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HHH is 8/28 this year. Looks like back to father's day for 2022.

"NEW DATE FOR 2021
Please mark your calendars for Saturday, August 28, 2021. We plan to return to Father's Day weekend in 2022."
Quote Reply
Re: IMWI moving to June in 2022 and beyond [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mgreer wrote:
HHH is 8/28 this year. Looks like back to father's day for 2022.

Yeah, I was saying that in 2022 and beyond, HHH and IMWI would be one the same day.
Quote Reply
Re: IMWI moving to June in 2022 and beyond [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
MadTownTRI wrote:
It’s official. I’d expect the Des Moines full announcement later this year.

“In 2022, we’re honoring the 20th edition of IRONMAN Wisconsin on June 19, 2022, a rare and exciting milestone in the world of endurance events.

For nearly two decades, athletes from around the world have embraced the welcoming community of Madison while being rewarded with an unparalleled finish line experience that IRONMAN Wisconsin has come to offer over the years. Regularly topping IRONMAN’s yearly Athlete’s Choice Awards, IRONMAN Wisconsin has become known for Madison’s relentless crowds of spectators lift the spirits of athletes the only way the Badger State knows how and bringing out the best in all those willing to toe the line on race day.

Priority Registration will open Monday August 9th and general registration will open Monday August 16th.

Update your calendars and get ready to test your grit at the 2022 IRONMAN Wisconsin on June 19.”

Odd that they wouldn't specify 70.3 or 140.6. Should we take this to mean both races will be June 19?

They said IRONMAN Wisconsin, I think that would be the full. Time will tell if they offer the 70.3 that day as well.
Quote Reply
Re: IMWI moving to June in 2022 and beyond [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's too bad. as a Madison native the September IM was a mainstay. this will also negatively impact a lot of local tri businesses that build the business model around the sept IM...

“The answer is hard work. What are you doing on Christmas Eve? Are you riding your bike? January 1st – are you riding your bike?”- Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Re: IMWI moving to June in 2022 and beyond [ClarkWGriz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ClarkWGriz wrote:
Sadly I think one thing they didn't take into consideration is how many athletes visit Madison over the summer months to ride the course, put on tri camps and just enjoy the Madison area as they prepare for the September race. This potentially is the beginning of the end of IMOO as I think you just lost a large group of midwesterners that made up the race. They will find something else towards the end of summer in my opinion.

Yes, agreed that is a very large part of the race preparation. I sometimes go to TriWisconsin events and they always have at least 2 course previews. Per capita Madison has to be one of the highest triathlon hotbeds in the country so I think they'll survive, but this seems like a strange decision given that most people in the upper Midwest don't start riding consistently outside until April at the earliest. Many others don't start until mid May. The roads on the course are awful. I can't imagine someone traveling far to race on those roads, especially if there's races closer that are in much better condition.

Professional interests in Genomics, Bioinformatics, Hardware/Software interfaces, sports interests are running from 800 to half marathon, sprint tri to half iron, cycling road races

https://brave.com/ - A safer and faster way to browse the web
https://www.strava.com/athletes/3757906
Last edited by: adaykin: Aug 6, 21 6:52
Quote Reply
Re: IMWI moving to June in 2022 and beyond [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
SiRcivic27 wrote:

I see this decision driven 100% by corporate greed as a way to cut costs and increase profits with no regard for the sport or individual race itself.

A college town wanting to move the race out of football season and into a down time seems much more likely than your corporate greed theory.
I agree with the football season comment.

The Big Ten's scheduling has gotten more unpredictable each year. I used to be able to plan away game trips 5 years out and now I don't know the schedule generally until the end of the previous year.

With realignment it could get even worse.

Northwestern has Colorado and Duke on their future schedules. Who knows whether either the ACC or the Pac Ten will exist in its form by the season it is scheduled.

God forbid if you have a Big 12 opponent those are surely counterfeit as of the 2022 season.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Re: IMWI moving to June in 2022 and beyond [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Replying to last and in general... Folks seem of two camps - race will either wither or be fine.

I think it'll be a different experience in June vs. Sept, but it there are enough folks still chasing a full distance and the M-dot, then it'll be fine.

Training buddy was an alumni of UofW and convinced a bunch of us to do the inaugural event... September was nice b/c you had college kids just coming in, and helping out as volunteers and out there cheering. That experience is unlikely to be there in June.

On the other hand, like lots of groups, our club started outdoor rides in March around the daylight saving time change... So still training 5 months later and waiting for Sept to get here and also chasing waning daylight towards Sept on bike rides was a bit of drag. June would be better on that front.
Quote Reply
Re: IMWI moving to June in 2022 and beyond [SiRcivic27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Madison resident and super bummed I didn't get a chance to do the full in September. I did the 70.3 a few years back in June and the heat and humidity made that race pretty rough. I feel like we're all still adjusting to the summer temps in June so a full race during that period would be rough. Plus I just love the atmosphere around town in the fall.

Oh well - maybe they'll move it back at some point down the road.
Quote Reply
Re: IMWI moving to June in 2022 and beyond [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was my thought too - does the race get enough volunteers without college kids? I was just in town 2 weeks ago and the area seemed pretty quiet and unlike it was for my other trips in September, October, or April. Drunk spectating college kids helped get me through some of those later miles of the run when I did the race.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: IMWI moving to June in 2022 and beyond [jpk_phx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpk_phx wrote:
ADabs wrote:
I'm from the upper midwest, and did IMMOO in the past because it worked perfectly with training over the summer months.

But now I live in TN and wouldn't dare train for an A september race. June is perfect for me now, and I'm tempted to sign up!

+1. Everyone lamenting the loss of midwesterners overlook the likely addition of athletes from the southern half of the country. It may not be a 1 to 1 exchange but this will attract new participants, assuming it is a done deal. I don't believe anyone has posted a source for this news.

count me in as a "southern half of the country" guy that just signed up b/c this works great for me...training during the summer in nc is brutal. now, i can really focus on some indoor training during the cold months, then get out in late march, april, and may for the longer rides in nice, cool spring.

it's too bad it messes/frustrates so many midwesterners, but i get it.

see those of you racing there

eta: just signed up using priority registration, which goes through 15 august.

eta2: f'n active processing fee...what are they processing? a f'n new platform?
Last edited by: d00d: Aug 9, 21 10:12
Quote Reply
Re: IMWI moving to June in 2022 and beyond [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I signed up too. First time racing there. I live in the northeast but honestly I'd rather not give up my whole summer to Ironman training. Give me a lot of training hours in March when not much else is happening.
Quote Reply
Re: IMWI moving to June in 2022 and beyond [Emzee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is honestly tempting me to try to swim again and do it. Not next year but maybe in a year. As a Midwesterner I still do most of my summer rides on the trainer anyway so riding outdoors won’t be an issue. And if I can get open water once I should be good but if I don’t I think I’ll be fine. The timing works much better for me and easier to get the wife in board if I’m not giving up the whole summer training heavy.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: IMWI moving to June in 2022 and beyond [SiRcivic27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just replying to the thread. I am deferring my 2021 IM WI registration to next June.

Living in SoCal, we train year-round, so a mid-June race works better for my friends who are teachers and have difficulty getting days off during the school year. And we swim in the Pacific, where a water temperature above about 63 is darned pleasant in a wetsuit.

That said, if anybody is still looking for a place to stash friends, family or fans, this very cool lakeside cabin that sleeps six is now available. It would sure help the owner, Frank, to have a booking for Ironman week.

It’s on a lake about 15 minutes from race HQ.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Re: IMWI moving to June in 2022 and beyond [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps I missed this, but what about the 70.3?
Quote Reply
Re: IMWI moving to June in 2022 and beyond [Jicawa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think they've announced yet... Seeing as the June date roughly lines up with when the 70.3 was running, and this year they are running them both the same day I was assuming (maybe incorrectly) that their future plan was to do them together.
Quote Reply
Re: IMWI moving to June in 2022 and beyond [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:

count me in as a "southern half of the country" guy that just signed up b/c this works great for me...training during the summer in nc is brutal. now, i can really focus on some indoor training during the cold months, then get out in late march, april, and may for the longer rides in nice, cool spring.

it's too bad it messes/frustrates so many midwesterners, but i get it.

see those of you racing there

eta: just signed up using priority registration, which goes through 15 august.

eta2: f'n active processing fee...what are they processing? a f'n new platform?

Another southerner (ATL) who isn't that upset by the change. I'm definitely surprised, but not as upset as the majority it seems. I'm coming from an original '20 deferral (covid) and now '21 deferral (cancer), so I don't have a lot of options. Definitely looking forward to spring time training as well.
Last edited by: lisac957: Aug 10, 21 10:47
Quote Reply
Re: IMWI moving to June in 2022 and beyond [nord0296] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nord0296 wrote:
I don't think they've announced yet... Seeing as the June date roughly lines up with when the 70.3 was running, and this year they are running them both the same day I was assuming (maybe incorrectly) that their future plan was to do them together.

I’m wondering if they’re going to use this year to feel out if the combined race makes sense to continue or if they can move the 70.3 and kill Door County or MiTi.
Quote Reply
Re: IMWI moving to June in 2022 and beyond [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm also curious about Des Moines 70.3...it's likely that same day in June but they haven't announced it yet. So, are they planning to
1. put DSM in early May as a build for people in the region doing WI in June
2. or will it be pushed later in the summer?
3. Or just a week different either direction so it's not the same day as IMWI?

Blog: https://davidkoppeltriathlon.blogspot.com/
Coaching: https://dkendurance.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next