Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Experience with Garmin ProPace strategies
Quote | Reply
I have it as a feature on my new Fénix 6. Basically you load a run course, and it tells you what splits you should be running, taking into account elevation, to hit a goal time. And you can adjust whether you want to be aggressive on the climbs, or descents, or if you want to keep it neutral. Just curious to hear if anyone has used it and what you’ve thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Experience with Garmin ProPace strategies [TJP_SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve used it on my last two running races; it’s a really useful tool. It gives upcoming turns and the associated elevation in the next segment which is super helpful if you’re not familiar with the course. As the race progresses, it auto adjusts your paces necessary to hit your overall goal. Give it a shot.
Quote Reply
Re: Experience with Garmin ProPace strategies [Strugglebeast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Strugglebeast wrote:
I’ve used it on my last two running races; it’s a really useful tool. It gives upcoming turns and the associated elevation in the next segment which is super helpful if you’re not familiar with the course. As the race progresses, it auto adjusts your paces necessary to hit your overall goal. Give it a shot.

Nice, I’ll give it a try for sure.

Did you map out your own course first? Or did you try and find one already loaded that someone else put in? Is it just mile by mile splits, or does it give paces within the mile as it changes?

Also, can you set it up to guide you during the run segment in triathlon mode?
Quote Reply
Re: Experience with Garmin ProPace strategies [TJP_SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJP_SBR wrote:
Strugglebeast wrote:

Nice, I’ll give it a try for sure.

Did you map out your own course first? Or did you try and find one already loaded that someone else put in? Is it just mile by mile splits, or does it give paces within the mile as it changes?

Also, can you set it up to guide you during the run segment in triathlon mode?

It doesn't matter how you obtain the course - map your own or import one. You can have splits per mile, per kilometer, or by elevation changes. You can also adjust whether you want positive or negative splits, and how aggressive/conservative you want that positive or negative splitting to be.

I haven't been able to test it on a tri course (thank you COVID) but I suspect there may be issues with navigating just the run segment in triathlon mode.

I guess you could set up a Workout in triathlon mode, which would guide you on splits, but you wouldn't be able to do this by elevation change. (Except perhaps an elaborate replication of pace changes by distance to match where you will hit hills).
Quote Reply
Re: Experience with Garmin ProPace strategies [mcalista] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried doing a demo triathlon, just hitting lap button until it got to the run segment. But it doesn’t look like there’s any options to switch over to the pace pro setting. Thinking I might just set up a swim/bike multi sport and then do a separate run when I leave T2 and then use pace pro. Will be at worlds in Utah and the elevation changes on the run are going to be much different from the flat that I’m used to running in. At least on the bike I can manage the hills with power and cadence.
Quote Reply