Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2022 Worlds in Townsville cancelled
Quote | Reply
I didn't see another post on this, but apologies if I missed it.

Triathlon Australia have announced that Townsville Multisport Worlds is not taking place in 2022. As someone who's looking to qualify at some point in the future, what are your expectations about when things will get back to some sense of normality and new qualifying etc. will roll around? Surely Worlds slots can't keep rolling forever, but...?

Interested in the thoughts of folks with Team USA experience, or how your country's governing body is handling nation team qualifying.
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 Worlds in Townsville cancelled [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This touches on the thread about the IM70.3 WC in New Zealand (Dec 2022). At least World Triathlon can now start working on a more likely venue. And Ironman just got the message that Taupo ain't happening next year. Incidentally, NZ just broke it's air travel bubble with Australia due to rising COVID cases in the latter.

Now everyone going to the USAT long course nationals at Toughman New York (Sep 2021) will be qualifying for some unknown venue instead of Australia. That has to suck. But COVID sucks worse. This is just shit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are so many variables now it makes your head hurt. There were age groups in aquathlon at Long Beach last week that had zero qualifying slots for Townsville as they were taken by people who were supposed to do Almere. No doubt the same thing is about to happen in Milwaukee for the olympic distance. If Almere cancels long distance then the people doing Toughman will probably find the number of qualifiers for 2022 plummet and that's assuming if there's an alternative venue for 2022. If there's no 2022 and then there just needs to be a reset.
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 Worlds in Townsville cancelled [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
This touches on the thread about the IM70.3 WC in New Zealand (Dec 2022). At least World Triathlon can now start working on a more likely venue.

Yup, I started a subdiscussion about Townsville on that thread. There is a USAT/Team USA Town Hall on right now. Not much information b/c they don't have much info from ITU. Just gotta sit tight for announcement of 2022 location and dates - if there *is* a 2022...
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 Worlds in Townsville cancelled [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I listened to the zoom call. Tim Yount missed his calling as a Chamber of Commerce shill. No matter how messed up the situation is he puts a positive spin like it's the best thing that ever happened.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be surprised if they don't do Almere in 2022, and then either bump Townsville to 2023, and Ibiza to 2024, or leave Ibiza in 2023 and move Townsville to 2024... Or that they move up Ibiza to 2022, and give Townsville 2023...
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 Worlds in Townsville cancelled [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
I'd be surprised if they don't do Almere in 2022, and then either bump Townsville to 2023, and Ibiza to 2024, or leave Ibiza in 2023 and move Townsville to 2024... Or that they move up Ibiza to 2022, and give Townsville 2023...

That would make sense, but we are less than 2 months out and they are holding fast to Almere in Sep 21 for the Long Course Tri and Long Course Aquabike. The other events were already rescheduled to Spain for Nov 21.
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 Worlds in Townsville cancelled [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think 2021 has much bearing on whether they re-award it next year, it really depends on whether the LOC is happy just having the LD races or whether they would like to hold the whole festival next year. Spain took over the Du and the Cross Tri, in separate events in Oct and November, but nobody took on the Aquathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: 2022 Worlds in Townsville cancelled [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The event could not be held today under current restrictions put in place by NL on 9 July. Those expire on 13 August, but if extended another month, then the race is toast. TBT pulled out of supporting Almere today. The race is very much hanging by a thread.
Quote Reply