Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Gwen Jorgensen leaves Bowerman, returning to the marathon [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it is good news. I like to follow her. Anyway...even she may not excel at that she has the illusion. She is not that old... so, the one that success is the one who tries over and over again. Hope she can find her best shape with her new coach....
Many of us would love to see her back in triathlon, but she loves running. Triathlon is so demanding... so it is not just about what you are good at, it is about what you like the most...

So, she is still young and can do fine in the coming years...

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen leaves Bowerman, returning to the marathon [Grantbot21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fortunately she'd be selling out of a high priced environment (Portland) so there's a good chance they'd be making some good money there - provided they haven't been renting.

CO prices are crazy though. My son will be a freshman at CSU next month so I've been loosely keeping an eye on Fort Collins area real estate. It's nutzo and things go super fast.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen leaves Bowerman, returning to the marathon [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Maybe Flag is both too cold (although not far off from BOCO) and too high?

after i wrote what i wrote, i remembered that i think high altitude is not on their list of imperatives. perhaps the opposite in fact. were it me, i'd find a way to be at 5,000' to 7,000', if i was doing what she's doing. i do almost all my running at 6,000' to 7,000' in the spring thru fall, until it gets covered in snow. but i have no problem with altitude.

Boulder is at 5300 feet, Colorado Springs is over 6,000 feet. Even though Bobby McGee is based out of Colorado, being close to the coach may be a good thing but the environment may not suit their family for optimal life balance. The question is she says she left the BTC. BUT did she leave or did they boot her out of it? We may not know ever the real story. She seemed to struggle with the very elite end of the team, even though she is totally what I consider an elite runner. But within every group, there are different levels--she may not be what they sought for that kind of group from here on out.

i got the impression she was pretty well done with the program early this year, and it was her decision, but that there was no percentage in making a formal change until after the whole olympic cycle played out.

but i come to this with strong opinions about enclaves like these. lukas verzbicas was ground up and spit out by oregon, and here was a guy coming into that program running 3:58 and 8:29 out of high school. some programs make great chateaubriand. other programs make great hamburger. i would like to see the pass/fail rate of all the top kids who go to oregon, versus all the top kids who go to NAU. i may be dead wrong, but i think the pass/fail rate is much more favorable at NAU.

i am not in gwen's brain, and i'm not privy to how gwen views this. also, i'm not sure that gwen has thought all this through. but i do know that it's a really cool *idea* to be in that hard charging enclave. you think that's where the forward motion is. you think that if you're going to get fast, you have to be in that enclave, with america's fastest women, running with them, running their workouts. this is a natural tendency. i think being in that enclave is as much a part of the dream as the races you intend to run and times you think you can achieve.

but is the coach of an enclave like that a chef? making chateaubriand? or is that coach a cook, making salisbury steaks? i get the sense that gwen had to sacrifice the dream of living in that enclave in order to realize the dream of getting that best marathon out of her legs. but there's a lot of my own projection in there, based on my own sense of how these sorts of things have turned out in the past for athletes i care about.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen leaves Bowerman, returning to the marathon [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, I’m not so sure it wasn’t a mutual parting of the ways with Bowerman. Picking up to train alone seems an odd transition for an older runner.Contracts were probably up at the end the Olympic Trials. While Gwen is a decent runner she was never going to reach the heights her triathlon career delivered . Injuries are always a factor and seeing the marathon trials were before lockdown , track trials were only option. She did run the 5k to her potential and time will tell for the marathon .
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen leaves Bowerman, returning to the marathon [Passmore007] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Passmore007 wrote:
Is that marathon going to be after a swim and a cycle!?

Not a chance, she's done with triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen leaves Bowerman, returning to the marathon [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Flagstaff elevation might not be ideal for her. But I do love her videos about where should we live! She already pretty much nixed my vote for them, Asheville. I can't wait to see where they decide. And I love their check off list and scoring of each city.
Last edited by: Pat0: Jul 25, 21 15:02
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen leaves Bowerman, returning to the marathon [Pat0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here making a video catalog of where she wants/will live just seems like a cry of "keep playing attention to me!"

I respect Gwen for her accomplishments but it seems she is trying to hang onto relevancy at this point.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen leaves Bowerman, returning to the marathon [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for the last 3 years. . . .
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen leaves Bowerman, returning to the marathon [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
907Tri wrote:
Here making a video catalog of where she wants/will live just seems like a cry of "keep playing attention to me!"

I respect Gwen for her accomplishments but it seems she is trying to hang onto relevancy at this point.

More like trying to maintain a career.

But now that she isn't doing a marathon and has all but officially said she is having another kid soon.. I think her pro career may be donezo.

It's certainly possible to continue to have a career based off of her current viewer base and social media - but she needs a coach/consultant on that front immediately.

She is sadly as charismatic on youtube as a chia pet. At least the chia pet grows on me - the videos are brutal.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen leaves Bowerman, returning to the marathon [ADabs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ADabs wrote:
907Tri wrote:

More like trying to maintain a career.

But now that she isn't doing a marathon and has all but officially said she is having another kid soon.. I think her pro career may be donezo.

It's certainly possible to continue to have a career based off of her current viewer base and social media - but she needs a coach/consultant on that front immediately.

She is sadly as charismatic on youtube as a chia pet. At least the chia pet grows on me - the videos are brutal.

I am not a fan of Gwen since she left Tri but I have to admit her recent videos are much more interesting. She seems to have got a bit of personality back since leaving BTC.

She is doing a fall marathon but might have to delay it as they still haven’t settled on where to live just yet. She hasn’t said she is having another child, in fact the opposite said they might adopt.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen leaves Bowerman, returning to the marathon [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She just had a post saying she pulled out of a fall marathon mostly due to the time crunch and stress of moving.

I’d be curious so see her just do a local non-pro marathon as a time trial this. At least to gauge where she’s at a bit with her distance fitness.

Hadn’t seen any comments on adoption - great for them if that’s the route they choose! They seem like a great little family to have a “keeping up with the Jorgensens” that follows her training and their personal life, but they really need a Talbot/Kenny/ someone to film, edit, and create the content. I know they worked with Talbot a bit in the past.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
907Tri wrote:

I actually kind of dig them. Not because it's Gwen or anything...or event that they are done well.

Just being someone who craves desperately to live somewhere other than where we are and always researches the pros and cons of other cities, I love stuff like that.....
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen leaves Bowerman, returning to the marathon [ADabs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ADabs wrote:
She just had a post saying she pulled out of a fall marathon mostly due to the time crunch and stress of moving.

I’d be curious so see her just do a local non-pro marathon as a time trial this. At least to gauge where she’s at a bit with her distance fitness.

Hadn’t seen any comments on adoption - great for them if that’s the route they choose! They seem like a great little family to have a “keeping up with the Jorgensens” that follows her training and their personal life, but they really need a Talbot/Kenny/ someone to film, edit, and create the content. I know they worked with Talbot a bit in the past.

seems like a good chance to give back to community AND her followers by pacing a marathon. say 3:00 to help people BQ
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen Jorgensen leaves Bowerman, returning to the marathon [Grantbot21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She has just said they are moving to Boulder in a few weeks but will be renting until they sell their house.

Longer term she said they will be buying in Bend.
Quote Reply

Prev Next