Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post Covid Lung
Quote | Reply
About three weeks ago, while on vacation, I came down with a bad sinus infection. I get them frequently, so thought nothing of it. Thought I caught from my son's summer cold (he had just tested covid negative). But a day later, I started losing smell, again, no biggie since I often lose some smell with my regular sinus infections. I maintained my workout regiment at pace. Heart slightly elevated at same pace, I figured the humidity where I was because I live in the desert. Had one night of fever/chills, but was gone the next day. Otherwise just some fatigue after my workouts. I figured it was being on vacation, not having a care, whatever. Beside, I'm fully vaccinated (Pfiser).

Well when I got back, I talked with a co-worker who said they had all the same so got a test. Wouldn't you know. Tested positive. Right then my motivation was gone for a couple days. But since I was already almost 10 days in, I scheduled another test a few days later. Negative. Here's the thing. I'm fine at zone 2 or zone 4 working out. No issues. I was training at elevation to get back into the rhythym. But man, it seems like it takes longer to recover from VO2 max intervals. Wondering if this is mental or damage. I tried to do research, but like most covid stuff, the data is either old, out of date, or emerging data that isn't conclusive. Anybody experience this? Can't be from taking five days off. I do on occasion.
Quote Reply
Re: Post Covid Lung [Ozymandias] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ozymandias wrote:
About three weeks ago, while on vacation, I came down with a bad sinus infection. I get them frequently, so thought nothing of it. Thought I caught from my son's summer cold (he had just tested covid negative). But a day later, I started losing smell, again, no biggie since I often lose some smell with my regular sinus infections. I maintained my workout regiment at pace. Heart slightly elevated at same pace, I figured the humidity where I was because I live in the desert. Had one night of fever/chills, but was gone the next day. Otherwise just some fatigue after my workouts. I figured it was being on vacation, not having a care, whatever. Beside, I'm fully vaccinated (Pfiser).

Well when I got back, I talked with a co-worker who said they had all the same so got a test. Wouldn't you know. Tested positive. Right then my motivation was gone for a couple days. But since I was already almost 10 days in, I scheduled another test a few days later. Negative. Here's the thing. I'm fine at zone 2 or zone 4 working out. No issues. I was training at elevation to get back into the rhythym. But man, it seems like it takes longer to recover from VO2 max intervals. Wondering if this is mental or damage. I tried to do research, but like most covid stuff, the data is either old, out of date, or emerging data that isn't conclusive. Anybody experience this? Can't be from taking five days off. I do on occasion.

what seems pretty clear to me, as an observer, is that all around COVID - the virus itself, and the vaccine - there's both a lung hangover issue, and there's a heart issues. alveolar damage in the lungs, and heart muscle. and some brain issues as well. again, as an observer, what i see is a pretty significant prevalence in post-COVID people; and a much smaller but occasional presence as a result of the vaccine (not the lung problem, but myocarditis in a very small number of younger vaccine recipients). francois and others in the field can speak to this.

i'm looking at 2 articles right now in JAMA, from march and may of this year, on COVID long hauler in athletes, to better get my arms around this.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Post Covid Lung [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, hard to find the extent. One medical article I read suggest that it isn't permanent, but takes time. Another says the extent and duration are unknown. My own personal experience is the heart rate can stay constant at zone 2 for 30 minutes, but goes up. Unfortunately, my environment has had to many variable to determine. The desert heat causes spikes at about the same time frame, elevation same deal for me. I'm hoping I'm just getting into my own head with my OCD. Either way, hoping this is largely behind me come October when my first race in years happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ozymandias wrote:
Yeah, hard to find the extent. One medical article I read suggest that it isn't permanent, but takes time. Another says the extent and duration are unknown. My own personal experience is the heart rate can stay constant at zone 2 for 30 minutes, but goes up. Unfortunately, my environment has had to many variable to determine. The desert heat causes spikes at about the same time frame, elevation same deal for me. I'm hoping I'm just getting into my own head with my OCD. Either way, hoping this is largely behind me come October when my first race in years happens.

i'm a pfizer grad. march. i have had afib for about 15 years, paroxysmal (comes and goes) and in may i had my worst ever bout (4+ consecutive days before i naturally cardioverted). so there's that.

but in the follow up, here's some other interesting data. my BP has been slowly declining, and my most recent was 104/60, which i haven't seen since i was in my 30s. i broke UCLA Medical Center's ex fizz lab 60+ record for the Bruce protocol, and for VO2 max 3 weeks ago.

so you just never know. here's what i do know. you mentioned desert heat. this is a real afib trigger for me, and by far this has been the hottest summer on record here where i am. don't discount the temperatures you're living and training in; that you're sleeping in; when you consider your metabolic behavior right now.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Without much more information (eg imaging, pulse ox) my suspicion is that you likely did not have pneumonia and that your symptoms are related to the infection or perhaps psychological . Most of the people I’ve seen with pneumonia are limited on exertion rather than at VO2 recovery. It’d be hard to imagine that you could work at VO2 max with actual damage and have it manifest only as delayed recovery which makes me think this might have a mental component. Plus you are training at elevation which tends to effect work rate and recovery (assuming you are from the lowlands) so this is another variable.

I’d see how you feel when you get back to sea level. If you are still short of breath then consider CXR and pulmonary function tests to see if there is any damage to your lungs. I’ve had quite a few people who have complaints of shortness of breath with completely normal findings. If this is you, know that it will get better but it could take many months.

Also your initial positive might have been a false positive esp if it’s a rapid test. This could all be allergies. Just another thing to think about
Last edited by: Old lungs: Jul 19, 21 19:01
Quote Reply
Re: Post Covid Lung [Old lungs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought a false positive was possible, but I loss of smell and my mother in law contracting it (fully vaccinated), I'll just assume I had it. With that said, I forgot I have a voldyne machine. A couple months ago I maxed out at 5000 on second attempt. I just did again. Probably just mental as I have diagnosed OCD for which I take meds for. Definitely didn't have pneumonia.

The loss of smell sucked, but interestingly, the only thing I could smell was that infection/rot smell you get. Boy was it strong.
Quote Reply
Re: Post Covid Lung [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your low BP is interesting.

I "think" I got Covid back in January 2020. A little chest congestion for 10 days but ran through it with my regular training schedule. No issues for 13 months.

In February I self checked by BP and it was 187/95, went to quick care the next morning and it was 212/90. Emergency room and meds got it down quickly. Stress test - passed with flying colors, Angio look into the heart - nothing; ultrasound - nothing.

Doc put me on the lowest dose (5gm) of BP meds for about 4 months now.

I got the J&J single dose vaccine in May. Broke out in fluid filled bumps all over. Doc says it means I had already had Covid but did not know it and my body was fighting the vaccine. Bumps went away in 1 week.

Been back to training for 3 months. BP recently went down to 100/65 for two weeks. They took me off the meds. Then it went up to 120/80 where it is now.

I have no idea what is going on. Never was on any meds before.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Last edited by: dkennison: Jul 20, 21 10:47
Quote Reply
Re: Post Covid Lung [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've actively monitored my BP for years. Actually started meds almost three years ago (10 mg of lisonopril). Winter it rest about 130-135/75-80. Summer it can get down to 115-125/65-75. I just checked do to this thread. A little high for summer at 140/80, but could be stress related.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In reply to no one in particular: This is scary and frustrating for those experiencing long-term effects. I hope it resolves and gets figured out for the future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Possibly some autonomic dysfunction. It's a common issue for covid long haulers (and other post-viral sufferers).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go see your doctor.

To my knowledge, if it was Covid, test would be positive. There are false results with the rapid tests, but otherwise lab results should be good.

I had Covid and did not experience what you are. However, we all know everyone responds differently.

Again, go see your doctor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dkennison wrote:
Your low BP is interesting.

I "think" I got Covid back in January 2020. A little chest congestion for 10 days but ran through it with my regular training schedule. No issues for 13 months.

In February I self checked by BP and it was 187/95, went to quick care the next morning and it was 212/90. Emergency room and meds got it down quickly. Stress test - passed with flying colors, Angio look into the heart - nothing; ultrasound - nothing.

Doc put me on the lowest dose (5gm) of BP meds for about 4 months now.

I got the J&J single dose vaccine in May. Broke out in fluid filled bumps all over. Doc says it means I had already had Covid but did not know it and my body was fighting the vaccine. Bumps went away in 1 week.

Been back to training for 3 months. BP recently went down to 100/65 for two weeks. They took me off the meds. Then it went up to 120/80 where it is now.

I have no idea what is going on. Never was on any meds before.

isn't that interesting? i would guess that your BP medicine lowered your BP, however if you're not on it and you're at 120/80, that does kind of invite some explanation.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Post Covid Lung [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
Go see your doctor.

Again, go see your doctor.

"We don't know"

That will be $500 please. WITH insurance.

Man we are well off yet this is pissing me off. I have no idea how working poor deal with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Post Covid Lung [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rains brought a cool day a couple weeks back. Solid long runs at a good pace. Since then, I've had a lot of workouts where I met or exceeded previous records on strava. So maybe it was just in my head, or some post sickness short term recovery. Maybe the white blood cells built back up. Who knows, but I'm good my skill level.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man these stories are really similar to mine although I am not tracking BP as that has never been an issue.

From what I have read post covid is really an auto immune issue or AT least that seems to be the running theory. Of course the medical community uses auto immune when they have no idea so there is that.

One thing for sure if anyone says they have sinus issues assume they have covid because it probably is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So my experience with the lung. I caught covid in January and had almost every symptom. Tested positive, loss of taste/smell, a week of fevers and fatigue and shortness of breath. I didn't end up in the hospital but I didn't have mild symptoms either. After about 4 days of the fever breaking I tried to get on the trainer and after about 5 mins I realized it was a bad idea. It was just painful to take deep breaths. After about 2 weeks I was able to run and ride for a about an hour max, but no hard efforts. I could probably feel it linger in my lungs for about a month.

Flash forward to now. I'm running possibly better than I ever have and riding too. For what its worth, I was USAT AG AA 2016-2019 and have no reason to think I wouldn't be able to match the performance if I was racing more this year.

For what it's worth, another triathlete told me he had the same experience about 3 months before me.
Quote Reply