Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bourbon [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
spockman wrote:
Isn't that just a fancy word for corn whiskey?

That what? Bourbon?

All bourbon is whiskey, but not all whiskey is bourbon. Bourbon must have 51% corn mash and be aged in oak.

A bourbon and a corn whiskey can share the same exact mash bill, but whiskey can never be classified as both at the same time.

Yep. I’ll also add that the oak must be new virgin casks, there can be no fillers or flavors added ( Jack Daniel’s, etc), and there are also entry and bottling proof requirements in order for it to be considered our glorious bourbon.
Mistakenly a lot of people used to think it must come from Kentucky to be considered bourbon but that’s not the case.

Then there’s all the rabble about “finished” bourbons not truly being a bourbon.

So many semantics. Who cares. As long as it tastes good!

Last night we went to my buddy’s restaurant and they have one of my favorites back on the menu. I have to get him liquored up enough to divulge the recipe. But it’s bourbon, fresh lemon juice, a little chambord, ginger and blackberry. Fucking spectacular in taste and color.
Quote Reply
Re: Bourbon [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
Been hanging out with family who all have a pretty extensive collection of bourbons and other stuff. Some notes

Rock Hill Farms- Good but not worth the money. Better when it was $40 a bottle
Hine XO - Excellent
Armagnac La Haille 25 years old - Amazing
Frank August Case Study: 02 - Loved it

I just got a bottle of rock hill. Not worth keeping for a good night Just open and drink?
Quote Reply
Re: Bourbon [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Nutella wrote:
Been hanging out with family who all have a pretty extensive collection of bourbons and other stuff. Some notes

Hine XO - Excellent

I just got a bottle of rock hill. Not worth keeping for a good night Just open and drink?

If I’m on the same page as Nutella I believe he means it’s not worth the secondary that most people have to pay to grab it. At MSRP or close it’s a good pour. Not worth the $300+ it goes for on secondary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Nutella wrote:

Hine XO - Excellent

I have a sentimental attachment to it but I don't think it is worth the hype. Don't get me wrong, it is good stuff, but not worth what the secondary market is selling it for. It is a good, high rye, bourbon. Same mashbill as Blantons but different rickhouse. There is also the fact that it is a single barrel so each bottle is bit different. I have had great ones but this was just ok.

Personally I would keep it for when friends visit who would be excited to try it.
Quote Reply
Re: Bourbon [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:
Nutella wrote:

Hine XO - Excellent

I have a sentimental attachment to it but I don't think it is worth the hype. Don't get me wrong, it is good stuff, but not worth what the secondary market is selling it for. It is a good, high rye, bourbon. Same mashbill as Blantons but different rickhouse. There is also the fact that it is a single barrel so each bottle is bit different. I have had great ones but this was just ok.

Personally I would keep it for when friends visit who would be excited to try it.

Thanks. I appreciate the practical explanation. I didn’t pay secondary market so it was “ fairly priced” in todays pricing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Nutella wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:
Nutella wrote:

Hine XO - Excellent

Thanks. I appreciate the practical explanation. I didn’t pay secondary market so it was “ fairly priced” in todays pricing.

Then that’s a great buy! Enjoy and drink it in good health.

Nutella brings up a great point with RHF and Blantons. In terms of bourbon and the “unicorns,” there are so many different bottles from the same distillery that it makes it more enjoyable when you can play the “name game” as I call it.

So many of them share the same mash bills but are aged differently, or placed in different locations, or just “didn’t make the cut” for the “better” labels.

In your case, Blantons has become so popularized (thanks to John Wick I think?) that it’s more than doubled in shelf price and people know it: but you can say well I’ve got RHF and it’s the same juice just a different location. Blows a lot of peoples minds.

Similar story with Weller 12 and Van Winkle 12. And so many others.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Bourbon [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had to be in Dallas last week for some meetings. Picked up a bottle of Pinhook 7 year and a bottle of Penelope barrel strength 9 yr. I can never find in Wichita. The Penelope is definitely the better bottle.

Anyone with any other really good bottles you found that are readily available. For me Heaven Hill bottled in bond is a very good bourbon. I need to keep a bottle of it on hand.
Last edited by: SWEDE63: Jan 26, 24 13:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heading to Nashville from Canada for the weekend.

Any suggestions for a local whiskey/bourbon I should pick up. I can bring back 2.2 Litres/80 ounces. Looking for something I can't get in Canada - doesn't have to be crazy expensive, just different and worth buying.
Quote Reply
Re: Bourbon [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Guardian wrote:

Any suggestions for a local whiskey/bourbon I should pick up. I can bring back 2.2 Litres/80 ounces. Looking for something I can't get in Canada - doesn't have to be crazy expensive, just different and worth buying.

Welcome to town!!

Are you staying in town? If so, we have the following local distilleries: Belle Meade Bourbon, Pennington Distilling Co., Nashville Barrel Co., Corsair Distillery & Taproom, Nelson's Greenbriar (the last two are close to casa clm).

If you want a day trip: Jack Daniels, Uncle Nearest and George Dickel are all in the same general vicinity about an hour or less from downtown.

Bars: Barrel Proof, Gertie's at 404 Kitchen, The Fox Bar & Cocktail Club, Single Barrel inside Assembly Food Hall, Bourbon Sky - the bar at Bourbon Steak on the top of the JW Marriott.

Where to buy: Frugal MacDoogal, Midtown Corkdorks, Main Street Liquors.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
The Guardian wrote:

Welcome to town!!

Are you staying in town? If so, we have the following local distilleries: Belle Meade Bourbon, Pennington Distilling Co., Nashville Barrel Co., Corsair Distillery & Taproom, Nelson's Greenbriar (the last two are close to casa clm).

If you want a day trip: Jack Daniels, Uncle Nearest and George Dickel are all in the same general vicinity about an hour or less from downtown.

Bars: Barrel Proof, Gertie's at 404 Kitchen, The Fox Bar & Cocktail Club, Single Barrel inside Assembly Food Hall, Bourbon Sky - the bar at Bourbon Steak on the top of the JW Marriott.

Where to buy: Frugal MacDoogal, Midtown Corkdorks, Main Street Liquors.

Oh, I like me some Belle Meade Bourbon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is great stuff. Many thanks. Staying at the Thomson - looking forward to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried Standard Proof?

I'm on a trade association board and a member's husband is a partner in that brand. They started in Nashville and recently opened an Austin tasting room.
Quote Reply
Re: Bourbon [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
Have you tried Standard Proof?

I'm on a trade association board and a member's husband is a partner in that brand. They started in Nashville and recently opened an Austin tasting room.

I have not. I'll have to check it out.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At a project completion celebration last night. It was open bar.

They rolled out a cart with various bottles.

I got a pour of Pappy van Winkle Family Reserve Rye.

I did not realize i just asked for a $90 pour. Oops. It was very tasty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
At a project completion celebration last night. It was open bar.

They rolled out a cart with various bottles.

I got a pour of Pappy van Winkle Family Reserve Rye.

I did not realize i just asked for a $90 pour. Oops. It was very tasty.

….and???

That’s a sweet cart deal. Are you normally a rye guy? What else was on the cart?

I was gifted a bottle of VWFRR A few years ago. Probably the one bottle I’ll try and save for an occasion.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And I didn't get fired. A couple other guys got a pour and then we were cut off.

I saw several bottles of EH Taylor, and a couple other Pappy Van Winkles. I did not get a good look at the cart as I was a bit shocked that I just ordered a $90 drink.

I'm going to have to try more ryes. I normally get bourbon.
It seemed like this had hints of vanilla.

Funny thing is we had drink tickets and I assumed the cart was included. Good thing the project had been very profitable.

They had a very tasty old fashioned.

It was a Brazilian steakhouse. I'm still in a food coma this morning. Don't think I'll be eating again until tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
And I didn't get fired. A couple other guys got a pour and then we were cut off.

I saw several bottles of EH Taylor, and a couple other Pappy Van Winkles. I did not get a good look at the cart as I was a bit shocked that I just ordered a $90 drink.

Funny thing is we had drink tickets and I assumed the cart was included. Good thing the project had been very profitable.

It was a Brazilian steakhouse. I'm still in a food coma this morning. Don't think I'll be eating again until tomorrow.

You might like the Angel's Envy Rye. It is tasty. If I am looking for a rye flavor it wouldn't be what I reach for but it is a tasty whiskey drink with some nice vanilla flavors. I think it is more $90/bottle instead of $90/drink

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:

Sounds incredible all around! Love me some whiskey and Brazilians, errr I mean Brazilian steakhouses.

I think you made the right choice. If I could choose from a VW lineup I’d go for the FRR. Which I’ve yet to try and why having an unopened bottle is a tease but also builds anticipation.

It’s highly regarded as one of the better pours in the VW family especially based on hype. And fir a 12-18 year juice.

I used to shy away from rye but have come to really enjoy it.
Quote Reply
Re: Bourbon [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interestingly, I just tried Angel's Envy last weekend at a BBQ Cookoff competition. Our lead cook had a bottle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Replying in general.

I tend to like cocktails and have not gotten into Bourbon neat.

I typically have a bottle of Elijah Craig Small Batch and Wild Tukey 101 bourbon. For Rye, I usually have Rittenhouse Rye and maybe Old Overholt.

I'm actually drinking a riff of an Old Fashion tonight:
- 1 Dash of Orange Bitters
- 2 Dashes of Angostura bitters

1 fat teaspoon of Maple Syrup
0.5 oz Smith and Cross Rum
1.5 oz Wild Turkey 101 Bourbon

Its a pretty potent drink and nice when just having one drink.

My favorite home cocktail is probably a manhattan with Rittenhouse and Carpano Antica vermouth or Midnight Marauder (mole bitters, cynar, bonal, and mezcal).

Any bottles that are better say Elijah Craig Small batch or Rittenhouse that would be better neat? 1 or 2 bottles to add to the bar for special occasions. I find that most people are good with Elijah Craig if they want Bourbon.
Quote Reply
Re: Bourbon [LacticacidMCB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LacticacidMCB wrote:
Replying in general.

I tend to like cocktails and have not gotten into Bourbon neat.

I typically have a bottle of Elijah Craig Small Batch and Wild Tukey 101 bourbon. For Rye, I usually have Rittenhouse Rye and maybe Old Overholt.

I'm actually drinking a riff of an Old Fashion tonight:
- 1 Dash of Orange Bitters
- 2 Dashes of Angostura bitters

1 fat teaspoon of Maple Syrup
0.5 oz Smith and Cross Rum
1.5 oz Wild Turkey 101 Bourbon

Its a pretty potent drink and nice when just having one drink.

My favorite home cocktail is probably a manhattan with Rittenhouse and Carpano Antica vermouth or Midnight Marauder (mole bitters, cynar, bonal, and mezcal).

Any bottles that are better say Elijah Craig Small batch or Rittenhouse that would be better neat? 1 or 2 bottles to add to the bar for special occasions. I find that most people are good with Elijah Craig if they want Bourbon.

That sounds very in my lane. Thanks for the suggestion. I have all of the above in the pantry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:

I'm not a big Rye fan myself, but I've found I enjoy a glass of Redemption and it sells at a decent price point if your looking to expand.
Quote Reply

Prev Next