Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Des Moines 70.3 - Spectator Game plan - Local folks
Quote | Reply
Local folks - any suggestions on navigating the course as a spectator during the race.

Specifically, is there way to park and stay on the north side of grays lake to see the swim start and than walk to the transition area.

Google maps does not show a bridge over the racoon river near Grays Lake but I have been told there is one now.

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Des Moines 70.3 - Spectator Game plan - Local folks [thunderdouble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy Crap that is one hell of a run to transition from the swim. I just did that on garmin connect it’s like 1/3 of a mile thats nuts. The actual parking is going to be south of the lake and that may still be your best bet. It does look like there is a bridge now, but I don’t think that is going to help much because i’m still not sure where you would park on that north side.

It’s been a while since I lived there, but even for the pro races for the old olympic distance I had a bike down there because it’s super spread out and this looks like a lot of the same.

I would just park where they suggest and get ready to walk for a bit to see things or bring a bike down if you have one with you. You’ll have time to get to transition from the swim because a lot of people are going to need a nap after they run to transition from the swim exit.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Des Moines 70.3 - Spectator Game plan - Local folks [Grantbot21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the insight!

Also didn't realize how far the exit out of the water to the transition is - woah!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Des Moines 70.3 - Spectator Game plan - Local folks [thunderdouble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah when it was downtown for the Olympic our transition was in the parking lot right outside the swim. The you got on Fleur. The transition is where we parked for Hyvee. That is bizarre they are doing it that way.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Des Moines 70.3 - Spectator Game plan - Local folks [Grantbot21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea I had it at about .25 mile. T1 times will be long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grantbot21 wrote:
You’ll have time to get to transition from the swim because a lot of people are going to need a nap after they run to transition from the swim exit.

LOL.

Looking forward to any additional suggestions for spectating - never been to Des Moines and excited to be there for an inaugural race!

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply