Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Quintana Roo warning [CyclingClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ty for posting pictures. That is helpful as I am not able to post pics for some reason. I'm on my phone and I believe the file is too large? The picture on the top where are you show the very tight clearance is what mine looks like also. Mine does not have any type of lip. If you slide the storage box up and off the bracket you will find two hidden screws. You cannot even see these screws if the unit is on your bike or you open the container. You have to slide your storage unit up and off. My screws did not fall out- they came loose. No lip underneath therefore it sagged on my back wheel. The guys on my ride flipped my bike upside down ( side of road) as we thought a brake was the problem as there was such an abrupt halt. They discovered my unit running so they slid it off and found 2 loose screws. I took the screws, the bracket and the unit home in my back pockets with a tired burned in spots from the friction. I am so darn lucky. There are numerous reports of the entire units coming off as the screws can come completely off. It is not reasonable to have to Inspect your bike head to toe every single ride and take off parts to look in nooks and crannies.

BobAjobb stated the 3 most important words in this post "foreseeable problem" and "flaw".
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo warning [KSP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KSP wrote:
Ty for posting pictures. That is helpful as I am not able to post pics for some reason. I'm on my phone and I believe the file is too large? The picture on the top where are you show the very tight clearance is what mine looks like also. Mine does not have any type of lip. If you slide the storage box up and off the bracket you will find two hidden screws. You cannot even see these screws if the unit is on your bike or you open the container. You have to slide your storage unit up and off. My screws did not fall out- they came loose. No lip underneath therefore it sagged on my back wheel. The guys on my ride flipped my bike upside down ( side of road) as we thought a brake was the problem as there was such an abrupt halt. They discovered my unit running so they slid it off and found 2 loose screws. I took the screws, the bracket and the unit home in my back pockets with a tired burned in spots from the friction. I am so darn lucky. There are numerous reports of the entire units coming off as the screws can come completely off. It is not reasonable to have to Inspect your bike head to toe every single ride and take off parts to look in nooks and crannies.

BobAjobb stated the 3 most important words in this post "foreseeable problem" and "flaw".

that may well be true. but i reiterate my 2 words that i consider important. loc... tite. i have one of these bikes. i have had water bottle cages come loose a number of times in the past (not on this particular bike, but on others). and other bolts. for this reason, nowadays a lot of bolts on my bikes come pre-loctited from the manufacturer. why? because of this very thing you write about. accordingly, every metal or carbon surface on my bike that touches another metal or carbon surface gets a treatment. carbon paste. anti-sieze. grease. loctite (blue). one of these 4 treatments. (maybe a pressfit BB is an exception, or a metal-on-metal handlebar-and-stem. but the exceptions are rare.)

it may well be - i don't know - that the best practice for this bike maker is to pre-loctite the threads on the screws that affix this to the frame. but, no, it is not an "integrated part" of the frame. it's an aero-shaped part that *looks* like it's integrated, just like (for example) profile design's front hydration systems that work well on this bike, or the top tube storage that looks integrated. whenever there are bosses on the bike, for water bottles, bentos, or other storage, they're not part of the frame. they're add-ons that increase the bike's functionality.

in my opinion, having had enough screws come loose that go into these bosses, it's a good idea to blue loctite the screws that holds these outboard storage devices in place. this is what i in fact do.

otherwise, i'm glad you're safe, and quite often when we have situations like this we (users and/or manufacturers) learn something.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Jun 16, 21 16:49
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo warning [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
accordingly, every metal or carbon surface on my bike that touches another metal or carbon surface gets a treatment. carbon paste. anti-sieze. grease. loctite (blue). one of these 4 treatments. (maybe a pressfit BB is an exception, or a metal-on-metal handlebar-and-stem. but the exceptions are rare.)

When I trained up a guy as a mechanic (not normally my thing but the government pays for athletes to learn other skills and I'm always happy to get money from the govt) the first couple of lessons were on precisely this. Knowing what to use where makes a big difference to the outcome. I'd add prep spray and yellow loctite for BBs to your list.
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo warning [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My PRSix2 has the two bolts and two sided tape holding it on. If yours didn’t come with it then I would suggest adding some or contacting QR and see if they will ship some to you.
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo warning [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
RossJ wrote:
ut I routinely find bolts in my stem and headset that come slightly loose

if this is true you have something wrong

Yeah, something seems off. I don’t think I have ever checked or had to do this. Not once in ~20 years of riding.
Quote Reply

Prev Next