Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cleat Placement Question: Pain on Top of Foot
Quote | Reply
I did my 1st ride on a smart trainer yesterday after a year of no training. I also used new shoes. My right foot hurt really bad the 2nd I was finished on the top outside. Note: This foot gives me trouble in that location from running all the time.
I have never had the issue biking. In the past when it got to where I couldnt run, I could bike. In fact, I got into cycling because of this very issue
So, is there a way I can place the cleats in my shoes for this not to happen? I know pretty much nothing about cleats and cycling in general.
Last edited by: Spartan420: Jun 15, 21 8:22
Quote Reply
Re: Cleat Placement Question: Pain on Top of Foot [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have my cleats as far back, and as far inward as I can get them, putting my foot as far forward, and outward on the pedals, as they will go, for this very reason. With my cleats where the fitter put them, I could barely make 20 miles without some excruciating pain. I’ve also tried different insoles, and toe spreader inserts. Over tight shoes shoes destroy rides and runs real fast. Now I don’t smoke my shoes tight, and can ride any distance I want. I’ve also got skinny old bowed legs, putting a lot of pressure on the outside of my foot. Just this spring, I put pedal extenders on my bike. This gives me a straighter shot at the pedals, and is showing promise.

It’s funny, as I’ve been told not to mess with cleat position, or I’ll blow up my knees, or loose efficiency or whatever. Screw that, I want some comfort. And then recently I’ve seen some folks mentioning triathletes moving their cleats back, to save their calves for the run.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply