Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

yet another full IM nutrition strategy question
Quote | Reply
tried searching some old threads, but wanted to get some feedback on my own situation.

i have done one full IM, back in 2019. i trained with and used tailwind concentrated bottles, but on race day it didn't go very well. i blame some of the cramping I had on some mistakes when it came to breakfast and not taking in calories in the wait before the swim, but let's just say i am not too keen to try tailwind again bc i got very sick of it during the race and am looking for another approach, at least on the bike. My approach is to live off the course either way for the run, that was about the only thing that worked for me in 2019. I'm doing IMFL later this year so looking to get some nutrition practice in starting soon. I want to maintain having liquid as my main/sole source of calories during the race for a couple reasons. i don't mind mixing in some "food" but I am not a gel-sucker nor do I want to mess around with eating a turkey sandwich lol. liquid is easier to store, ingest, and is just better. I have two possible options:

1) live off the course entirely for the bike and run. I like the simplicity of it, and can buy gatorade endurance to practice with, but i'm just concerned it doesn't have enough calories, and thus i'd have to drink a TON of it on the course. I feel i'd get very sick of it and the strong flavor by the end, and might have to pee constantly. And I don't see too much about people concentrating that stuff like other products can be (tailwind, infinit, etc.). even if i did concentrate it, the flavor would be a big concern, plus wouldn't it be way too much sodium and stuff?

2) go with a totally different liquid nutrition for the bike, and then live off the course for the run. my only concern with this is switching of brands/sources. For instance, if i go with concentrated infinit on the bike (or something similar, besides gatorade endurance), would that present problems if i switched to gatorade endurance on the run? I guess my plan would be to eat whatever i'm craving on the run anyways. I imagine practice is the only way to know, but it seems many people switch sources during the race and that works for people. To me this seems like the easier option, but for those that do this, any considerations I need to be aware of?

thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: yet another full IM nutrition strategy question [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
tried searching some old threads, but wanted to get some feedback on my own situation.

i have done one full IM, back in 2019. i trained with and used tailwind concentrated bottles, but on race day it didn't go very well. i blame some of the cramping I had on some mistakes when it came to breakfast and not taking in calories in the wait before the swim, but let's just say i am not too keen to try tailwind again bc i got very sick of it during the race and am looking for another approach, at least on the bike. My approach is to live off the course either way for the run, that was about the only thing that worked for me in 2019. I'm doing IMFL later this year so looking to get some nutrition practice in starting soon. I want to maintain having liquid as my main/sole source of calories during the race for a couple reasons. i don't mind mixing in some "food" but I am not a gel-sucker nor do I want to mess around with eating a turkey sandwich lol. liquid is easier to store, ingest, and is just better. I have two possible options:

1) live off the course entirely for the bike and run. I like the simplicity of it, and can buy gatorade endurance to practice with, but i'm just concerned it doesn't have enough calories, and thus i'd have to drink a TON of it on the course. I feel i'd get very sick of it and the strong flavor by the end, and might have to pee constantly. And I don't see too much about people concentrating that stuff like other products can be (tailwind, infinit, etc.). even if i did concentrate it, the flavor would be a big concern, plus wouldn't it be way too much sodium and stuff?

2) go with a totally different liquid nutrition for the bike, and then live off the course for the run. my only concern with this is switching of brands/sources. For instance, if i go with concentrated infinit on the bike (or something similar, besides gatorade endurance), would that present problems if i switched to gatorade endurance on the run? I guess my plan would be to eat whatever i'm craving on the run anyways. I imagine practice is the only way to know, but it seems many people switch sources during the race and that works for people. To me this seems like the easier option, but for those that do this, any considerations I need to be aware of?

thanks!

Option 1:
I don't think you'd have to pee constantly. High sodium intake helps retain water. Concentrated Gatorade Endurance would work well so long as it's not so concentrated it causes GI distress. The level of sodium intake needed for increased urination is an order of magnitude larger than you could tolerate with concentrated sports drink.

Flavor intensity would become a big issue. Hence, I recommend option 2.

Option 2:
Switching products doensn't matter. No problem there.

Considerations should be:
How many grams of carbs per liter?
What is the ratio of glucose to fructose?
How many milligrams of sodium per liter?
How much fluid total per hour?
Can I tolerate the flavor? (less flavor-intense foods become more preferable the longer the duration, so don't sit in your kitchen at rest and test flavor. Test flavor while sweating during your 6th hour of a bike ride.)

Whether those things come with an infinit/tailwind/GE/Walmart label, doesn't matter to your GI tract, thankfully. :)

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply