Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thomas Friedman gets it right
Quote | Reply
When it came to the Dubai ports issue, the facts never really had a chance — not in this political season. Still, it's hard to imagine a more ignorant, bogus, xenophobic, reckless debate than the one indulged in by both Republicans and Democrats around this question of whether an Arab-owned company might oversee loading and unloading services in some U.S. ports. If you had any doubts before, have none now: 9/11 has made us stupid.

What's ironic is that if Democrats who hate the Bush war in Iraq actually had a peaceful alternative policy for promoting transformation in the Arab-Muslim world, it would be called "the Dubai policy": supporting internally driven Arab engines of change.

That's why Arab progressives are stunned by our behavior. As an Arab businessman friend said to me of the Dubai saga: "This deal has left a real bad taste in many mouths. I mean this was Dubai, for God's sake! You could not have a better friend and more of a symbol of globalization and openness. If they are a security danger to the U.S., then who is not?"

So whatever happens with the Iraq experiment — but especially if it fails — we need Dubai to succeed. Dubai is where we should want the Arab world to go. Unfortunately, we just told Dubai to go to hell.
Quote Reply
Re: Thomas Friedman gets it right [Startmeup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When it came to the Dubai ports issue, the facts never really had a chance — not in this political season. Still, it's hard to imagine a more ignorant, bogus, xenophobic, reckless debate than the one indulged in by both Republicans and Democrats around this question of whether an Arab-owned company might oversee loading and unloading services in some U.S. ports. If you had any doubts before, have none now: 9/11 has made us stupid.

I think he is making a good point.

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Re: Thomas Friedman gets it right [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was never about the facts. It was about the politics...on both sides of the political aisle. Prospective Ree-pub presidential candidates saw a chance to score a few points and bolter their "hardcase" credentials without really doing too much damage to a soon-to-be lame duck President from their own party, and the Dem prospective candidates saw it as an opportunity to reassure the electorate that they really should, this time, be trusted with the nation's security.

Both sides were peopled by idiots, in my opinion.

T.
Quote Reply
Re: Thomas Friedman gets it right [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will say my initial reaction was that it was a bad deal and I think most people were in the same boat. I think the President did a poor job of explaining the situation and then when asked about it he just said, "people should not worry about security" with no explanation.

This was completely the opposite message he has been saying for the last 6 years, that security is the number one issue, so much of the blame has to fall on Bush himself.

The Republicans facing an election this year are tripping over themselves trying to keep their trump card, the tough on terrorist card, and so they are distancing themselves from Bush's position. It is a political issue for them.

The Democrats are also jumping on it to capitalize on the Republicans one strong issue (or perceived strong issue) of defense. I think they are also being opportunistic.

You are right, it is all about politics and this is one case where both sides are to blame and Bush, even though he is largely responsible for messing it up, is right.

Sometimes you just can't win.

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Casey, that was my point the whole time: Bush's non-explanation is to blame for deepening the fiasco.

He banged the terror-drum for 6 years, but for an Arab group buys the keys to several of our ports - and he's tight lipped. Huh?? The overreaction of congress was ACTION compared to what was percieved as Bush's INACTION.

America was smarting from 9/11, not dumber - and we'll learn and grow ties again with Dubai. Anyone who has been hurt, or in mourning reacts differently than a fat, comfy, right-wing chickenhawk blogger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The whole case show how utterly globalized the U.S. and the world is: We are way too far down the line to turn back whether we want to or not. From what I have read and a good in-depth analysis on NPR, the great majority of U.S. ports are run by foreign companies and the largest U.S. operator would not be capable of running many more operations than it already does. (maybe you all mentioned this in other threads)

Its this way with nearly all aspects of trade. Our nation's economy is just as dependent on other nations as they are on us. Its a complex web we can't untangle ... I don't think the rush to globalization is great for our "security" with respect to crime and terrorism but there's sure no turning back now, unless we want to suffer big-time and for a long time, economically.
Quote Reply