Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ST forum reader, but "retired" from IM(triathlon)?
Quote | Reply
I finished my last IM 11 years ago and barely have tri-ed since then.

I still run marathons/ultras and swim fairly frequently, but don't bike very much.

I left Slowtwitch shortly after my last IM, but came back in the past year as I missed the discussions and community.

Am I alone as someone "retired" in the sport still wanting to stay connected?

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Last edited by: linhardt: Jun 14, 21 9:21
Quote Reply
Re: ST forum reader, but "retired" from IM? [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM is not triathlon, it's a subset of triathlon. You can be a great triathlete without ever having done an IM event, or a long distance triathlon of any brand for that matter.
I don't think that's central to your query but still......

I've only ever done a handful of triathlons, covering Olympic, 70.3 and long distances. I've done many more duathlons, adventure races, and bike only events than triathlons...and I find those more interesting to be honest. But still, they all have a lot in common and I loiter here for something to do when I'm bored ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lurk too, but haven't done an IM, or triathlon for that matter, in quite some time and don't intend to. Paulo knows where to find me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a knee replacement and cannot run so my Ironman days are over as are my tri days, unless I want to walk to the run. I don’t think slowman has a rule that you must be a practicing triathlete to post here. And if you get bored here, come visit us on the Darkside in the lavender room.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm hoping that from the title of your thread that you don't imply that not doing IM's means one is kinda 'retired' from triathlon. I have no intention of doing IM and I'm having a blast just focusing on Olys! (Doesn't mean less training hours necessarily either.)
Last edited by: lightheir: Jun 14, 21 8:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
linhardt wrote:

I still run marathons/ultras and swim fairly frequently, but don't bike very much.

I left Slowtwitch shortly after my last IM, but came back in the past year as I missed the discussions and community.

I thought that's what the Lavender Room was for.
Quote Reply
Re: ST forum reader, but "retired" from IM? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
I'm hoping that from the title of your thread that you don't imply that not doing IM's means one is kinda 'retired' from triathlon. I have no intention of doing IM and I'm having a blast just focusing on Olys! (Doesn't mean less training hours necessarily either.)

Definitely not. All multi-sport is awesome. HIMs and Duas are my favorite events as they are so much less complicated and don't require utter devotion.

Maybe I could have said retired from competing multi-sport, but that is an even more painful title.

For me I went from gaining 50-75lbs weight post college to losing weight to running for the first time to marathons to ironman to "retirement".

After doing 5 IMs and some of my favorite shorter distance events either being discontinued or re-branded I decided I didn't like biking that much. Chicagoland is also not tri friendly for events, traffic, and weather.

I just didn't want to be alone as the only person still going to their highschool football games in their late 40s getting questions like "what position does your kid play?" if that makes any sense.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear you on the locales being important to how much you can like cycling.

I never thought I would love cycling, but here in Norcal ($$$!) where I live, it's literally cycling heaven.

I did live in urban LA for awhile and cycling in any of those urban environments was no fun - I even resorted to using a trainer on the roof of my apartment in lieu of going on 1 hr bike rides on weekdays since the stoplights and traffic were no fun. Luckily, the Santa Monica mts were also bike heaven, but getting out there was a bear in traffic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
linhardt wrote:

I've never done an IM, and don't intend to.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: ST forum reader, but "retired" from IM? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
linhardt wrote:

I thought that's what the Lavender Room was for.

Despite joining in '06 I went there for the first time based on your suggestion. Scary.

I use ST to get my tri fix on not to have barroom conversations with fellow triathletes, which it seems is the Lavender Room's purpose.

Quote Reply
Re: ST forum reader, but "retired" from IM(triathlon)? [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only noobs think triathlon is all about Ironman.
Well, some not so noobs think so too, but...

I haven't done an iron distance race since Roth in 2013. Might come out of "retirement" for Ironman Canada next year though for nostalgic reasons.

Slowtwitch may have started as a triathlon forum, but I come here for all sorts of endurance related topics related to the individual sports of swim, bike and run.
There's even been some paddling threads.
Lots of gravel talk. WOO!
Bike racing. I still hate the no spoilers thing (c'mon, get off the internet man). At least we're still not arguing about he who shall not be named (much).

I stay the hell out of the Lavender Room. I can argue politics on twitter if I want that.
Last edited by: NordicSkier: Jun 14, 21 9:28
Quote Reply
Re: ST forum reader, but "retired" from IM(triathlon)? [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't do triathlon anymore (I hate the OW swim), but duathlon instead. I also don't do anything further than Olympic. And yet, here I am. :)

- John
"Have courage, and be kind."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My last triathlon was in 2007 but I still ride regularly and follow the sport in general.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply