Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Second dose: 8 weeks vs 12 weeks
Quote | Reply
Peeps, I need help here.

I got AZ first dose. Getting either Pfizer or Moderna second dose. Whatever they give me.

Has anyone read the Spanish study on mixing Pfizer and AZ shots?

Ontario wants me to get the second dose at 12 weeks but will allow me to get it at 8 weeks with “informed consent”.

Only I am not informed. Vaccine studies are far above my pay grade.

Is it significantly better to get the shot at 12 weeks rather than 8 weeks?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Second dose: 8 weeks vs 12 weeks [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See here:

https://www.sciencemag.org/...ost-immune-responses

Both options are most likely fine. Sander’s study is smaller but the results promising. Note that both studies papers are still preprints.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the same boat. Got AZ April 23. Have appointment to get Pfizer June 20th.

My brother is getting his second the same day. His wife is a doc, but not an epidemiologist. She's the smartest person I know and told him to get it. So I'm listening to that as well! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Second dose: 8 weeks vs 12 weeks [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks that was interesting, since I’m in the same boat as the others. Looks like I’m doing AZ and Pfizer 8 weeks apart. Looks like it will work fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it were me, I would insist on the same brand as the first dose. Have they even done any studies of mixing brands of shots?

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: Second dose: 8 weeks vs 12 weeks [Justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justgeorge wrote:
If it were me, I would insist on the same brand as the first dose. Have they even done any studies of mixing brands of shots?

Yes, several. Spain, Germany and Uk.

Quote Reply
Re: Second dose: 8 weeks vs 12 weeks [Justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If only someone had posted a link with references addressing this ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got AZ first and second dose. Alberta said minimum of 8 weeks. I got mine 5 days before the 8 week mark. It was either now or in 3 weeks and I didn't want to wait that long. I'm sure my immune system will be okay and mount a sufficient covid response.

I think you'll be fine either way - book in whenever you are able.
Quote Reply
Re: Second dose: 8 weeks vs 12 weeks [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah so I was told I could book starting today. Our region only lets us out our name on a list. They will supposedly get back to me.

First dose was at a pharmacy but they don’t have stock yet.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Yeah so I was told I could book starting today. Our region only lets us out our name on a list. They will supposedly get back to me.

First dose was at a pharmacy but they don’t have stock yet.

I did pharmacy first dose, AHS second dose. Pro - appointment was made online, no phoning around. Con - took way longer than the pharmacy.

Super Pro - done with minimal second shot side effects.

Hope they get back to you soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:

Yes, several. Spain, Germany and Uk.
My wife and I are getting Pfizer tomorrow after getting AZ first shots, eight weeks ago. The Alberta health booking system lets you choose which type you want and then you find a nearby vaccination center. We were able to get into Airdrie a couple of weeks ahead of Cochrane (for anyone that happens to be in the Calgary region) but apparently the downtown mass vaccination center is also available with little waiting

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Originally scheduled to get Pfizer in late July, but rescheduled this morning to get Moderna next Thursday.

1st dose was AstraZeneca in late April, and 2nd dose will be 8 weeks + 1 day.

I'm in a hotspot for the delta variant, so they are allowing residents to move the 2nd dose up.
Quote Reply
Re: Second dose: 8 weeks vs 12 weeks [Apollo71] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apollo71 wrote:
Originally scheduled to get Pfizer in late July, but rescheduled this morning to get Moderna next Thursday.

I'm in a hotspot for the delta variant, so they are allowing residents to move the 2nd dose up.

My wife just got scheduled for next Wednesday. I assume driving when this opportunity came up but I wouldn’t have taken a slot as we want different days just in case side effects suck.

I will look more tomorrow.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 new papers, one in Lancet and other from Public Health England, both showing Pfizer and AZ impact on Indian variant

I had mine April 9th, I called the pharmacy where I was scheduled to have the second and asked if I could bring it forwards on 8 weeks to the day, they said if I got there by 4.........

I got there as I know I'll have a booster in 8-10 weeks of another vax.

If you Google the two papers above, the issue with AZ is it is less effective than Pfizer against the Indian variant at a single dose

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/vaccines-offer-significant-protection-against-covid-19-delta-variant-u-k-analysis-shows-11623690999
Last edited by: Andrewmc: Jun 14, 21 14:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Apollo71 wrote:

My wife just got scheduled for next Wednesday. I assume driving when this opportunity came up but I wouldn’t have taken a slot as we want different days just in case side effects suck.

We really rolled the dice with getting shot on the same day, but it was okay. Husband was a lot sicker than I was after the first shot and we both had only mild side effects after the second. But trying to take care of kids while sick really, really sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Apollo71 wrote:

I was hoping for Pfizer, but honestly was willing to take anything for an earlier date.

Was walking the dog on the weekend and the local park by the lake was a gongshow. Jam packed with massive gatherings. No one adhering to the 10 person limit. Its clear that some people have given up on the public health guidelines and are letting loose.

The sooner I get fully vaccinated to protect me from these maniacs the better. Thankfully my wife has had her 2nd dose and my son is scheduled for next Wednesday.
Quote Reply