Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Value of Zipp wheel needed
Quote | Reply
I was in a car accident with my bike on the back of the car (we were rear-ended), and my Zipp 404 front wheel was crushed. I have to file an insurance claim for it. Does anyone know how I can find the value of this wheel? It is a 2017 404 wheel, like new. Is there any type of "blue book" for these wheels that would list its value? I don't even know where to start looking, so any advice is appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Value of Zipp wheel needed [CTYankee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d look at it as the cost to repair the BIKE (i.e. with a replacement wheel from Zipp…whatever the closest current model is).

Analogous to your damaged bumper. They don’t look at what the discounted value of your car bumper is; it’s the cost to put a new bumper on your used car. The “used” value only comes into play if the vehicle is totaled.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Value of Zipp wheel needed [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I will have a bike shop look at the bike, but I am fairly sure the rest of the bike is ok. I believe the only thing damaged is the 404 wheel. The insurance company will be asking me the value of the wheel, and I have no idea what to tell them. I bought it as part of a set with an 808 wheel a few years ago for $1,750 (used), but I am not sure what percentage of the sale I can attribute to the 404. Shopping for one now will be difficult, as there aren't many 2017 404 Zipp wheels, used, on the market. It would take me a long time and a lot of research to find one. Isn't there any sort of manual/guide like a blue book that would estimate its value?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are looking for replacement value. If there’s no used inventory, then you are looking at the retail cost to replace the wheel.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t know anything about the claims process, but isn’t eBay a pretty good indication of market value? Or The Pro’s Closet? If you have a little time, you should be able to observe transactions there. Maybe TPC staff could give you data on similar transactions. I saw a similar wheel sold in the ST Classifieds.

My guess is it is worth $500-$600.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I handle these type of cases I argue that where there isn't a readily available reliable secondary market the fair valve is replacement cost of a new wheel. I support that with the argument that you can't trust used carbon fiber bicycles or components.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Jun 14, 21 4:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In insurance claims, the assessor is usually looking for a " like for like ' replacement value. You could submit examples of available 2017 Zipp 404 carbon wheels in the secondhand market. There will be a range of pricing dependant on condition etc but its a start to negotiate with the assessor.

I have a set of 2016 Zipp 404 carbon wheels, they are in top condition and l asked my local bike shop to assess their market value in 2019 for insurance purposes and he valued the pair at $1,000 but l also observed in various market places, the same wheels ( true condition unknown ) for $800 - so there is the range etc.

The assessor is obliged to replace your wheel with one of an equivalent quality, no better and certainly no worse !

Don't be afraid to complain or appeal the decision of the assessor, if he has not taken notice of your examples etc. The cost of dealing with the appeal etc is usually greater than the value of your claim, so they will get it sorted quickly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your front wheel was destroyed, I would seriously consider making a claim for the whole bike if carbon fiber, but certainly the front fork. I can't imagine that I would want to ride on that fork thinking there may be a small crack somewhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like others have said you need to consider claiming the whole bike. I’d be most worried about the fork and in particular the steerer. If the bike took enough force to destroy the wheel and the wheel was attached to the bike it’s reasonable to assume the fork took a big hit. Damage in this area isn’t obvious but it is not good news.

I would ball park the value of the wheel at 50-60% MSRP of a brand new 2021 Zipp 404. Over the past two years used bike parts have not depreciation as much as in the past and so most of the value was lost in first 3 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to demand and receive replacement cost for your wheel, i.e what will it cost to replace your Zipp wheel with one that is available for retail today. Whatever the cost to replace with a new front Zipp 404 is the amount that you need to request and not a dollar less. When some else is liable you get replacement costs. When it is your fault and you have cut rate insurance you only get actual cash value and have to buy used wheels off of Ebay.

Also you have local bike shop thoroughly inspect your frame and fork for cracks and misalignment. Now is the time to find any issues, not three months down the road. Then will be too late and you will be SOL.
Quote Reply