Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ineos TdF Squad !!! - Carapaz, Porte, Thomas, Tao, Dennis etc
Quote | Reply

https://www.velonews.com/...-the-tour-de-france/

In a world of "any one but Ineos", its like these guys are combining the spending power of Bayern Munich+New York Yankees + MacLaren + Dallas Cowboys LOL!!!

They have three grand tour winners in Carapaz, Thomas, Tao Geoghan Hart. Richie Porte, a super domestique backup. Rohan Dennis a World Hour record holder. Richie just won the Dauphine!!! Carapaz on the verge of a potential Tour de Suisse victory. And their former TdF winner Bernal, is ON VACATION after the Giro win!

Quote Reply
Re: Ineos TdF Squad !!! - Carapaz, Porte, Thomas, Tao, Dennis etc [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of depth but I don't think anyone on that list is as good as Pogacar or Roglic.

My question is who is their main guy? Thomas? Carapaz? Or are they going to try and do a multiple leader thing? Going in with multiple leaders isn't really the best strategy (ask Movistar). J-V will have a strong cast around Roglic - the Kuss ven Aert combo was really impressive last yaer. But then again Pogacar showed last year that you don't need a super team around you to win

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Ineos TdF Squad !!! - Carapaz, Porte, Thomas, Tao, Dennis etc [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with you; too many chiefs, not enough Indians!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Ineos TdF Squad !!! - Carapaz, Porte, Thomas, Tao, Dennis etc [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
Lots of depth but I don't think anyone on that list is as good as Pogacar or Roglic.

My question is who is their main guy? Thomas? Carapaz? Or are they going to try and do a multiple leader thing? Going in with multiple leaders isn't really the best strategy (ask Movistar). J-V will have a strong cast around Roglic - the Kuss ven Aert combo was really impressive last yaer. But then again Pogacar showed last year that you don't need a super team around you to win

I would think Thomas is the leader. Everyone else are helpers. Porte beat Thomas at the Dauphine and he WAS 3rd at least year's TdF, but at best he is the backup guy. Tao was backup to Thomas at the Giro and look what happened. I am normally "anyone but Ineos" but on this round I like each of the individual riders and would be happy to see any of them beating Pogecar. I'd be equally happy seeing Roglic take the TdF. It should be a fun end of June early July sandwiched in between the Euro and the Olympics. The world feels almost normal again when the biggest thing to complain about is Ineos !!!! It's almost like was are back in 2019 again!
Quote Reply
Re: Ineos TdF Squad !!! - Carapaz, Porte, Thomas, Tao, Dennis etc [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All of those guys together probably doesn't amount to Half of Dak's contract for a season.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Chemist wrote:

Porte beat Thomas at the Dauphine and he WAS 3rd at least year's TdF, but at best he is the backup guy.

Could be. But at the Dauphine they kept their cards close to their chest (Thomas and Porte) and when it came to decision time (mountain stages) the one on better form became the leader.
I'd think they will have several guys who will be on a similar level and will decide who is on better (peak) form when the road tilts upwards for several days (with a back-up or 2 in the top 10).
Pretty sure their performance team monitors their parameters day-in day-out, and if there is an indicator that Thomas's performance numbers are off when the critical mountain stages come around, either Porte or Carapaz will get the go-ahead to try to take a decisive lead.
Fascinating stuff, that teasing out and planning, and still failing to predict peak performance. So it's great to have a couple options.

I pithy those teams who need to rely on a single option and pray that their 'leader' doesn't have a couple bad days in the mountains......
Last edited by: windschatten: Jun 12, 21 16:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
Going in with multiple leaders isn't really the best strategy (ask Movistar).

I agree - managing the egos of multiple leaders can be pretty difficult.

However, the amounts Ineos are paying their riders provides a fair bit of ego smoothing. If any team can manage this issue, it is Ineos. Certainly they have done it before with Thomas and Froome, Bernal's 1st tdf win, Geohegan in last year's Giro. Although you could argue that in those cases, Ineos adapted to the circumstances, rather than going in with it as a deliberate strategy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:

I would guess it’s Thomas and Carapaz as co-leaders. The harder question is whether to keep Porte as plan C, in case Thomas or Carapaz falls out of contention, or use him as a full domestique from day one. My guess is that they will try not to burn Porte unnecessarily and keep him as an option as long as possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Chemist wrote:

I would think Thomas is the leader. Everyone else are helpers. Porte beat Thomas at the Dauphine and he WAS 3rd at least year's TdF, but at best he is the backup guy. Tao was backup to Thomas at the Giro and look what happened. I am normally "anyone but Ineos" but on this round I like each of the individual riders and would be happy to see any of them beating Pogecar. I'd be equally happy seeing Roglic take the TdF. It should be a fun end of June early July sandwiched in between the Euro and the Olympics. The world feels almost normal again when the biggest thing to complain about is Ineos !!!! It's almost like was are back in 2019 again!

Chris Horner was actually of the opinion that they would probably go with Carapaz and he makes a good point. I don't think the whole co-leader Thomas-Carapaz thing is what they will go with. Time will tell...

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ineos TdF Squad !!! - Carapaz, Porte, Thomas, Tao, Dennis etc [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It didn't think that Carapaz's TT today at Tour de Suisse in Andermatt was particularly strong. He lost almost a minute to Rigoberto Uran.

It feels to me like I would lead with Thomas with Porte as a backup who you don't want to burn out doing donkey work or riding tempo.

They need to break Pogacar on a few stages or catch him knapping in cross winds. I think Thomas can take Roglic if he is on at a TT. Not sure anyone at Ineos can beat Pogecar at a TT. Richie was solid last year on Planche des Belles Filles ITT.

This TdF should be fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
It didn't think that Carapaz's TT today at Tour de Suisse in Andermatt was particularly strong. He lost almost a minute to Rigoberto Uran.

It feels to me like I would lead with Thomas with Porte as a backup who you don't want to burn out doing donkey work or riding tempo.

They need to break Pogacar on a few stages or catch him knapping in cross winds. I think Thomas can take Roglic if he is on at a TT. Not sure anyone at Ineos can beat Pogecar at a TT. Richie was solid last year on Planche des Belles Filles ITT.

This TdF should be fun.

Yeah, they need to gang up on Pogacar fairly early. As for TT, I’m not sure Ineos has anybody that can hang with either Tadej or Primoz. I especially think Primoz has something to prove on the TT this TdF and he will come loaded for bear.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ineos TdF Squad !!! - Carapaz, Porte, Thomas, Tao, Dennis etc [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The stats since Roglic is fighting for the win in grand tours doesn't look good for Ineos:
Giro 2019: Roglic 3rd place vs Ineos 9th place (Sivakov)
Vuelta 2019: Roglic 1st place vs Ineos 20th place (Tao)
Tour 2020: Roglic 2nd place vs Ineos 13th place (Carapaz)
Vuelta 2020: Roglic 1st place vs Ineos 2nd place (Carapaz)
Quote Reply
Re: Ineos TdF Squad !!! - Carapaz, Porte, Thomas, Tao, Dennis etc [nav|gator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would not send a team with more than two clear leaders: can be two among Carapaz, Thomas, Porte. Then you can add 4 pure domestiques among Dennis, Castroviejo, Van Baarle, Amador, Kwiato, Rowe...., and two strong guys to cover in the climbs like Daniel Martinez and Adam Yates. I would not pick Tao, neither Sivakov,..do not look they are made to work as domestiques all the time.
So, two leaders, one stays home. As for now I would pick Thomas and Porte (as 2nd bullet). They seem more reliable plus they do great in TT.

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Last edited by: juanillo: Jun 13, 21 2:12
Quote Reply
Re: Ineos TdF Squad !!! - Carapaz, Porte, Thomas, Tao, Dennis etc [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sivakov is a grade A domestique, but there is a 10% chance that he makes it as far as stage 7 without some debilitating crash.

They'll run with G and Carapaz as co-leaders, like they did with G and Bernal In 2019. Porte as lieutenant and super domestique. He has been very clear in interviews that he understands his role here. But despite the roster strength, Bernal is really the only one with a shot against healthy Pogacar/Roglic/maybe Landa. Hope G proves me wrong as he is more likable than he used to be, and the most likely one to stick close to Roglic on the flat TTs (though I expect Roglic to give him a spanking in both).

Quote Reply
Re: Ineos TdF Squad !!! - Carapaz, Porte, Thomas, Tao, Dennis etc [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
Sivakov is a grade A domestique, but there is a 10% chance that he makes it as far as stage 7 without some debilitating crash.

They'll run with G and Carapaz as co-leaders, like they did with G and Bernal In 2019. Porte as lieutenant and super domestique. He has been very clear in interviews that he understands his role here. But despite the roster strength, Bernal is really the only one with a shot against healthy Pogacar/Roglic/maybe Landa. Hope G proves me wrong as he is more likable than he used to be, and the most likely one to stick close to Roglic on the flat TTs (though I expect Roglic to give him a spanking in both).

Hey if you say maybe Landa has a chance against Roglic and Pogacar then you gotta put Carapaz having a shot. I am not saying Carapaz does, especially after yesterday's TdS ITT (then again, maybe he took the descent into Andermatt way to conservative to protect his lead), but Carapaz has a better shot than Landa.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I like Landa, but he's weak in TT, just the same as Bernal.

Thomas and Porte are more rounded, and I feel these Grand Tours should reward those riders who can TT as well as just go uphill fast. Seems the flat sprint stages have no penalty for the GC riders if they just role in with the pack, whereas the mountain top finishes are the make or break stages. So really it's only the TT where the director can explore an individual strength of the rider.
Quote Reply