Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Grossly Underfit: New Poll Support Group [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't swam since March 2020, and really hadn't done much after DNF at LP 2019.

The bike is there, hooray Zwift. My run glues itself together.

Extra poundage courtesy of the new prescriptions I'm on, but whatever.

Just need to get back in the grind of things, particularly in the pool. It'll come back. Not really planning on racing until 13 months from now anyways.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Grossly Underfit: New Poll Support Group [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
I haven't swam since March 2020, and really hadn't done much after DNF at LP 2019.

The bike is there, hooray Zwift. My run glues itself together.

Extra poundage courtesy of the new prescriptions I'm on, but whatever.

Just need to get back in the grind of things, particularly in the pool. It'll come back. Not really planning on racing until 13 months from now anyways.

Yeah those helpful medicines are insidious sometimes because side effects and how it affects our self image.

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tried getting back in the pool in January. Caught covid and started a kitchen renovation and got married and never made it back til a few weeks ago. Started small with 1200 yds. Up to 2400 after two weeks. I figured within a month or two I'll be in shape enough to race. I've never been a FOP swimmer but I figure I'll only be a 2-3 mins off my normal swim time for a HIM. Perspective is everything. My arms were on fire yesterday and I felt miserable and a guy in the lane next to me was asking for swim tips just because of the fact I could swim a few laps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim fitness seems to be the easiest to get back for me.

I run by default so I never truly lose it. Basically run endurance is mental -- once you've done enough marys/ultras you are just telling your body to shut-up and keep running. Run speed is the challenge to get back.

Biking is my struggle. It doesn't take much pain, but it takes a lot of hours in the saddle to reclaim it. And it is very weather dependent being in Chicagoland and having become a pu**y biker. If it is rainy, cold, or windy I'll run no problem, but cycling it has to be perfect including non-rush hour traffic and plenty of daylight remaining.

Weekend warriors are very like mountain running. You hit the peak and then you run down and then you level up and you have to start running back up the next hill. Your fitness isn't a plateau it is peaks and valleys. Life interferes with maintaining "peak" fitness besides which I think one needs to become underfit so you can enjoy the improvement journey of the peak.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yuuuup.

Thankfully my wetsuit still fits, but...yeah. Not great. We'll see what happens.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
Yuuuup.

Thankfully my wetsuit still fits, but...yeah. Not great. We'll see what happens.

You’re doing the right thing!

E

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both of us are, man.

Have to avoid falling into the comparison trap. It ain't about where we used to be. It's about where we can go from here. Time to love the process, not the outcomes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe Slowman should do another poll - >

how fit and fat are you -

my reply -> Grossly overweight, incredibly unfit

2021 race season there I go!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
Both of us are, man.

Have to avoid falling into the comparison trap. It ain't about where we used to be. It's about where we can go from here. Time to love the process, not the outcomes.

You’re speaking my old language with that process comment, unfortunately for the time being I don’t recognize my old self enough to take my own advice LOL.

E

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run into KP often enough riding around in VT that I need to remind myself of those KP-isms, and take 'em to heart.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got in the pool yesterday for the first time since September of 2019. After 300 yards, my arms and shoulders were burning and my stroke went from bad to complete shit. Ended the workout after 1000 yards and thought about stopping sooner. That's drastically different than the 7-10k weekly yardage I was doing in 2019.

The good news was my speed was only marginally slower than 2019, I just couldn't swim for very long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
I run into KP often enough riding around in VT that I need to remind myself of those KP-isms, and take 'em to heart.

OK... I ran a few times, and it doesn't seem as scary or as daunting anymore. Me, not the running per se... the running is easy but I'm harder to figure out.

Stumbled on another thing I wrote myself a year ago, in addition to what someone linked to upthread... I'm going to process it and see if it's also relevant.

E

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve come back to this forum after some three years away and that couldn’t be a more timely post to bump into. I raced last at Roth in 2016 at circa 180lbs. Went through a bit of a tough spell with some life stuff and then got back into a rhythm just in time for covid to hit and shut down life. Without the incentive of training with others alongside working frontline in healthcare I just lost my mojo completely. All I seemed able to do was eat poorly and booze, and a couple of months ago had one of those rock bottom moments when my other half made a joke about being out of breath coming upstairs to bed. She was right - knackered climbing two flights of stairs.

Weighed myself the next day and gulped at the 255 pounds that flashed up. Put on my shoes and jogged / waddled 10 mins to the end of the road and back. Since then I have been doing something daily and am now able to run 5km in about 28 mins. Far cry from the 18:xx I used to run. My swim club started back up and I got into Zwift again. I’ve dropped 14lbs in 6 weeks or so, and have had a few bad nights out over that time, but am still ensuring I do something daily.

I cannot remember the last time I was this unfit, but there is some solice funnily enough in owning it and getting back on the road. So. Yeah. I don’t think grossly unfit really does it justice in my case. I hope I’ve intervened in time and can get back to some sort of decent shape (200lbs ish) for Xmas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are not alone

For the last year and a half, being super fit was not our objective, it was well below the top ten objectives, stay alive, lead kids, work, keep house clean, home school, be a good spouse, try not to pick fights in the LR.....and so on

If you like most people got some stuff done and you have years in the sport you will be fine and are probably not as unfit as you think you are. I was considering myself grossly unfit after this last year, have run 300 k this year and went to my local 5 K knocked out 20:10, okay slow, unfit, maybe compared to old self but I was 11 th out of 200.

Bike I can hang with zwift B grade and ride with solid bunches but I try not to pull turns, lacking a bit endurance.

Swimming, well no point sugar coating it the first week sucks, but just swim every day for two weeks and some of old self comes back.

Also, just start doing it, every little bit helps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mate, I was feeling like this 5 weeks ago.

I use to be FOP swimmer and took 3 years off with not a day in the pool. I set a 5 week plan to hit specific splits for 100FR and 100 Fly. It was disgusting the first 15 days and putting on a speedo was shameful, for me, just to be clear. 5 weeks later and last Friday, I hit my goals. Once I set the goals - it was much easier to get started.

Go get it Eric!
Quote Reply
Re: Grossly Underfit: New Poll Support Group [Fendalton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fendalton wrote:

I use to be FOP swimmer and took 3 years off with not a day in the pool. I set a 5 week plan to hit specific splits for 100FR and 100 Fly. It was disgusting the first 15 days and putting on a speedo was shameful, for me, just to be clear. 5 weeks later and last Friday, I hit my goals. Once I set the goals - it was much easier to get started.

Go get it Eric!

Thanks, it’s great to hear support from everyone.

My fear or vertigo is that after going thru a five week program like you did I’ll also hit my goals, but I won’t be the same person I was. Like, I know that my fitness will come back, but will my identity?

E

Quote Reply
Re: Grossly Underfit: New Poll Support Group [Ironmike78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironmike78 wrote:
I’ve come back to this forum after some three years away and that couldn’t be a more timely post to bump into. I raced last at Roth in 2016 at circa 180lbs. Went through a bit of a tough spell with some life stuff and then got back into a rhythm just in time for covid to hit and shut down life. Without the incentive of training with others alongside working frontline in healthcare I just lost my mojo completely. All I seemed able to do was eat poorly and booze, and a couple of months ago had one of those rock bottom moments when my other half made a joke about being out of breath coming upstairs to bed. She was right - knackered climbing two flights of stairs.

Weighed myself the next day and gulped at the 255 pounds that flashed up. Put on my shoes and jogged / waddled 10 mins to the end of the road and back. Since then I have been doing something daily and am now able to run 5km in about 28 mins. Far cry from the 18:xx I used to run. My swim club started back up and I got into Zwift again. I’ve dropped 14lbs in 6 weeks or so, and have had a few bad nights out over that time, but am still ensuring I do something daily.

I cannot remember the last time I was this unfit, but there is some solice funnily enough in owning it and getting back on the road. So. Yeah. I don’t think grossly unfit really does it justice in my case. I hope I’ve intervened in time and can get back to some sort of decent shape (200lbs ish) for Xmas.

Thanks for reaching out, it’s good to know we are not alone. Let’s keep each other posted here.

E

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go register for a race in the late fall and that should help with getting away from grossly underfit.
Quote Reply
Re: Grossly Underfit: New Poll Support Group [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Northy wrote:
Don't fret, just remember all the work you have in the bank (e.g. this).

This is gold. And training adaptations while they certainly feel transient, absolutely are not. Once you've been fit, you will always be MUCH closer to that level of fitness than you were at any point before you achieved that level of fitness.

I had a striking example of this which really reinforced my professional learning in the area.

Example:
I had a 19" vertical jump around age 17
I worked for 13 years, training like a professional (better actually... most non-endurance sport pro athletes' training is a joke compared to the lengths FOP athletes will go to). I accumulated 13 years of almost nothing but heavy/explosive lifting, plyos, and sprints, and improved my vertical to 40" at age 30.
Now, approaching age 34, I have done virtually everything in my power to reduce my vertical jump (haphazard tri training, reduced protein consumption, no longer taking creatine, muscle loss, the whole 9 yards).

I still have at least a 32" vert. I'll pull a quad muscle if I go outside and test this any further today ;)

Interestingly, I lost almost all that vertical jump ability in the first year off from power sport training. And, I suspect I'd get most of it back quite quickly with a couple months of reasonable power training.

Much like gains are exponential for the unfit, losses are most pronounced early-on in detraining, but the decay slows enormously over time. Further, the re-gain rate is potentially even faster than the loss rate, which is super fun. Trust me, I've detrained what little aerobic fitness I'd developed several times in the last 4 yrs. (See 'haphazard')

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Grossly Underfit: New Poll Support Group [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
Northy wrote:

This is gold. And training adaptations while they certainly feel transient, absolutely are not. Once you've been fit, you will always be MUCH closer to that level of fitness than you were at any point before you achieved that level of fitness.

I had a striking example of this which really reinforced my professional learning in the area.

Example:
I had a 19" vertical jump around age 17
I worked for 13 years, training like a professional (better actually... most non-endurance sport pro athletes' training is a joke compared to the lengths FOP athletes will go to). I accumulated 13 years of almost nothing but heavy/explosive lifting, plyos, and sprints, and improved my vertical to 40" at age 30.
Now, approaching age 34, I have done virtually everything in my power to reduce my vertical jump (haphazard tri training, reduced protein consumption, no longer taking creatine, muscle loss, the whole 9 yards).

I still have at least a 32" vert. I'll pull a quad muscle if I go outside and test this any further today ;)

Interestingly, I lost almost all that vertical jump ability in the first year off from power sport training. And, I suspect I'd get most of it back quite quickly with a couple months of reasonable power training.

Much like gains are exponential for the unfit, losses are most pronounced early-on in detraining, but the decay slows enormously over time. Further, the re-gain rate is potentially even faster than the loss rate, which is super fun. Trust me, I've detrained what little aerobic fitness I'd developed several times in the last 4 yrs. (See 'haphazard')

I want to push back slightly on why that not might be gold, not the least of which is that I have no idea who the person who wrote that is, even though it was me.

I feel like I'm realizing that I'm spiritually unfit, not aerobically. And yes, while my aerobic gains are all in there somewhere, and will come back, I'm not so sure about the spiritual side. I don't know that I've got the reps. The person who wrote that year-old post seems unrecognizable to me, despite the fact that physically I look the same for the most part. People say, "don't worry, it will come back", or "don't worry, you look great", or "don't worry, you're so much faster than most people" but that doesn't encapsulate what I'm feeling.

My argument is that it would be cosmically negligent of me to just go back to my old ways, get my fitness back, as if that's what's missing. I feel like there's more work to be done than that. Ironically, in doing that work, I'm sure my aerobic fitness will come back eventually, so there's that.

E

Quote Reply
Re: Grossly Underfit: New Poll Support Group [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:
You are not alone

For the last year and a half, being super fit was not our objective, it was well below the top ten objectives, stay alive, lead kids, work, keep house clean, home school, be a good spouse, try not to pick fights in the LR.....and so on

If you like most people got some stuff done and you have years in the sport you will be fine and are probably not as unfit as you think you are. I was considering myself grossly unfit after this last year, have run 300 k this year and went to my local 5 K knocked out 20:10, okay slow, unfit, maybe compared to old self but I was 11 th out of 200.

Bike I can hang with zwift B grade and ride with solid bunches but I try not to pull turns, lacking a bit endurance.

Swimming, well no point sugar coating it the first week sucks, but just swim every day for two weeks and some of old self comes back.

Also, just start doing it, every little bit helps

A new week, and every little bit is continuing to help as you alluded to. Getting over the hump is hard.

E

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Fendalton wrote:

Go get it Eric!

Thanks, it’s great to hear support from everyone.

My fear or vertigo is that after going thru a five week program like you did I’ll also hit my goals, but I won’t be the same person I was. Like, I know that my fitness will come back, but will my identity?

E

Wow, this is a deep question and something I have been questioning myself lately. In most of the local races I do (running and Tris) I usually podium in AG. My swim is crap (still is) but my bike and run are usually pretty good. Well, after 2020 I put on about 5 pounds and, being almost 50, I can feel that it is harder to get back into shape. I have done three races thus far in 2021 (one Oly Tri) and did not podium in AG in any of them. However, I am having a blast. Which goes back to your question: who am I?!

My identity as an athlete is changing, I think. I love being a bit heavier and feel much healthier for it. And I am definitely not as stressed about performance as I used to be which is actually allowing me to enjoy the season a lot more. I feel no pressure and I am just enjoying getting fitter and having a blast with friends and family at races. So, yes I have lost fitness but I actually feel healthier and happier. Does that make sense?

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Last edited by: Lock_N_Load: Jun 15, 21 10:33
Quote Reply
Re: Grossly Underfit: New Poll Support Group [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Northy wrote:

Personally, I haven't been in the water since last March and my running has been fits and starts as I've cycled through a series of run related injuries. I feel good on the bike though and banking on all the riding I've done since the pandemic to carry me through.

Just thought I'd bump this.

I turned 49. I went skydiving (transcendent). I've been running doubles. The more I run, the more I want to run. Classic runners high.

But I'm also experiencing something new... I'm calm AF. Like, super calm, super chill. I think it's from the doubles, which I've never done this consistently before.

E

Last edited by: ericMPro: Oct 7, 21 15:59
Quote Reply

Prev Next