Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

True Detective on HBO
Quote | Reply
I’m actually watching on Amazon Prime. Anyone watch this series? Season 1 featured Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson (and others) and Season 2 features Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn (others). I find it interesting but extremely difficult to follow. Very complex plots and themes but I keep watching. I suppose I keep watching because, eventually, I’ll be able to sort it out. Is it just me?
Quote Reply
Re: True Detective on HBO [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The first season was amazing.

The second was so bad I couldn't get through episode 2 or 3. Vince Vaughn really shat the bed in that role.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: True Detective on HBO [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree, the first season was unbelievable, especially the episode that ends with the raid on the stash house. The second season sucked for a few reasons: poor casting to start with but also the fact that the show creators basically had nine months to put it together where they spent four years developing the first one and it showed in the depth of the story and the characters. McConaghey was awesome.

Third season was good, much better than the second but the first one is by far the best.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: True Detective on HBO [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, that scene with the stash house raid in EP 4 I think is off the hook! I looked in to it and how it was all shot in one scene, I think it's like 8 minutes long? Super intense.

I never gave the third season a shot, I'll give it a watch!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thought it was great, although S2 was lacking. Steven Dorff was f'n great in S3.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Season 1 was amazing. I actually enjoyed S2 despite it’s shortcomings. Season 3 was really pretty good. All pale to season 1 though which was pretty much the best tv I’ve ever watched.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, all one shot with so much going on. So many little details covered, the best one being when Rust calls Marty and says to meet them on the corner in 90 seconds, and exactly 90 seconds later he pulls up. So well done.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I enjoyed season 1, especially when it finally all made sense towards the end. Season 2 is bizarre. I’ll get through it and move to what seems a good Season 3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Season 1 was absolutely incredible TV. Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson just perfect 10 nailed their roles.

Season 2 was a mess. Everyone was miscast.

Season 3 was very good. Mahershala Ali and Stephen Dorff were great and they were amazing at playing the same characters in three timelines set over 35 years.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As noted, Season 1 was some of the best TV made. Season 2 was so bad but I stuck it out bc surely it couldn't be that bad forever. It was. Season 3, never watched bc I don't HBO anymore. There's a pretty extensive thread from many years ago on here I believe. yes, can be complicated to follow at times but for all things that need to come together and make sense, they do. Also, that other thread answered a lot of questions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Vince Vaughn really shat the bed in that role.

However, he did die well

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: True Detective on HBO [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I'll have to rewatch it just to see that.

I think I made it to episode 2 or 3... there was a scene where Vaughn was in a fist fight that was so bad and so unbelievable I had to turn it off. It was cringe worthy. I couldn't do it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watch Fargo instead [Seasons 1-3 anyway, I didn't see 4]

Quote Reply
Re: True Detective on HBO [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EXT - ARCTIC - DAY

A pale sun falters and dies over the endless ice plain, the final sliver shrinking fast. That's the last of the sun this part of the world will see in a month.

TITLE: 150 MILES NORTH OF THE ARCTIC CIRCLE

ENNIS, ALASKA

DECEMBER 17

THE LAST SUNSET OF THE YEAR

https://collider.com/...-start-jodie-foster/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
The first season was amazing.

The second was so bad I couldn't get through episode 2 or 3. Vince Vaughn really shat the bed in that role.

Marty agrees

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply