Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

AirBnB vs. VRBO
Quote | Reply
Which one do you prefer (renting or listing)?

Pros and cons of each (listing side)?

If you use both, how do you keep everything straight and not double-book?

Anything else that seems relevant. Or irrelevant, even, screw it: I'm open for all comments!

Thanks!
- Jeff
Quote Reply
Re: AirBnB vs. VRBO [jkstevens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've rented from both and don't see a difference.

On airbnb, I did have a host cancel and tell me to ask for a refund. Instead I got a travel credit that was 70% of what I had paid which was upsetting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me it depends where I’m booking - ski area usually VRBO (basically places that were doing short term rental before air bnb was a thing.). City or weird spot usually Airbnb or not finding what I want on VRBO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same thing. I think ABB owns VRBO. ABB started out as room rentals but now you see most of the same listings on both.

Lots of towns have had enough and they're clamping down through licensing requirements and limits. One of the big problems is lack of rentals for locals. They're all becoming more lucrative weekend rentals. My little town is now writing the STR rental law which will limit the number or out of town STR owners allowed.

Woodstock just enacted a new strict law. Lake Placid has completely banned them from the downtown area.

Kialua, on Oahu, past a law that you can't operate a STR without a license, and if you didn't get your license about 10 years ago you're out of luck.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: AirBnB vs. VRBO [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know vrbo bought Homeaway. I don't think airbnb and vrbo share ownership.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had nothing but great experiences so far using AirB&B the last 4 or so years. For races in British Columbia, Denmark, France, Texas, FL, NY, we rented some really nice places. I shared an awesome AirB&B with a friend in Chattanooga, Tenn right on the river in 2017. What a fun race and I loved that place!

I had an AirB&B reserved for Lanzorate in the Canary Island for 2020. This one had a no-refund policy (or maybe it was only 50%) Because we couldn't get there due to covid, we got most of the booking back as a credit which was fine with me. It depends on the host's cancellation policy. Some you might get a refund, some it's 50% and some you won't get a refund except maybe the cleaning fee. I have two AirB&Bs reserved for races in NY and MD this year. If they get canceled or I just can't make it, I'll get a refund (minus the service fee and I have to give them 5-7 days notice).

One thing I don't like is that a property may say a certain amount per night, but when you add up cleaning fees, service fees, taxes, it's quite a bit more. It still can be a great value considering you can get a full kitchen or house/apartment to yourself with more space than an hotel. I like to cook my meals before a race so having a kitchen important to me.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: AirBnB vs. VRBO [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
I know vrbo bought Homeaway. I don't think airbnb and vrbo share ownership.

That's the one, thanks!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For month long rentals, Vrbo has a much nicer cancellation policy.
Quote Reply
Re: AirBnB vs. VRBO [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
Same thing. I think ABB owns VRBO. ABB started out as room rentals but now you see most of the same listings on both.

Lots of towns have had enough and they're clamping down through licensing requirements and limits. One of the big problems is lack of rentals for locals. They're all becoming more lucrative weekend rentals. My little town is now writing the STR rental law which will limit the number or out of town STR owners allowed.

Woodstock just enacted a new strict law. Lake Placid has completely banned them from the downtown area.

Kialua, on Oahu, past a law that you can't operate a STR without a license, and if you didn't get your license about 10 years ago you're out of luck.

You see the same listing because the owner is listing it on both platforms. VRBO under Homeaway was acquired by Expedia in 2015.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We use VRBO a lot.
Generally good experiences but the added fees have really gone up.
It seems like if a place is advertised at 200 per night, it approaches 400 with fees. Wish the quoted per night price was accurate.
These added fees have made the trade off with hotel rooms a lot more close.
Quote Reply