Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: People you know who have done really cool things [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this falls into the category of cool things but my grandparents lived in and around the original Kettle Falls, WA area before the Grand Coulee dam flooded the falls out of existence. My grandmother, a Lakes Band tribal member, remembers the town moving to its current location.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My grandfather was a POW. He escaped to gain intelligence and then allowed them to recapture him.

They used the intelligence to allow a really high ranking POW to escape. They didn’t know his real name/rank until after he escaped.

He never told me himself, my grandma did. He was my hero and I miss him every day.
Quote Reply
Re: People you know who have done really cool things [SheTries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SheTries wrote:
My grandfather was a POW. He escaped to gain intelligence and then allowed them to recapture him.

They used the intelligence to allow a really high ranking POW to escape. They didn’t know his real name/rank until after he escaped.

He never told me himself, my grandma did. He was my hero and I miss him every day.

Who was the high ranking POW?
Quote Reply
Re: People you know who have done really cool things [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We think He was a high ranking RAF Officer who had been shot down when they were on a reconnaissance mission.

We only really know what the regiment museum told us. My grandfather never ever spoke of the war to me or my dad. He left his medals to me so we went to his regiment and got his war records. Was probably the most humbling 2 days of my life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is a wonderful story. I've mentioned on this board in the past my grandfather was a POW as well, though in the Pacific theater. He survived the Bataan Death March, the convoy shipping captured US soldiers from the Philippines to Japan was attacked by US subs, some how his ship wasn't sunk, then spent the next 3-ish years in a Japanese labor camp, saw both the Hiroshima and Nagasaki mushroom clouds.

I have the utmost respect for POW's, they didn't choose that route but they fought to survive.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: People you know who have done really cool things [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My grandad was chosen because he was so small. By that point he was down to about 8 stone.

He was softly spoken, caring and loving. I cannot begin to imagine how tough it was for him.
Quote Reply
Re: People you know who have done really cool things [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
That is a wonderful story. I've mentioned on this board in the past my grandfather was a POW as well, though in the Pacific theater. He survived the Bataan Death March, the convoy shipping captured US soldiers from the Philippines to Japan was attacked by US subs, some how his ship wasn't sunk, then spent the next 3-ish years in a Japanese labor camp, saw both the Hiroshima and Nagasaki mushroom clouds.

I have the utmost respect for POW's, they didn't choose that route but they fought to survive.

I like people who weren't captured.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My father's cousin was a member of the Pan Am flight crew that took flew Nixon to Moscow in 1959 for the "Kitchen Debates."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suspect a tour flying as a Blue Angel pilot qualifies as really cool. I don't think he frequents the LR, maybe the main forum on occasion. A very fine USMC Naval Aviator with more than his share of cats and traps and CAS missions in support of his brethren on the ground in the sandbox. From our first training ride, I knew I had as fine a wing man as one could ask for.
Quote Reply
Re: People you know who have done really cool things [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:
Went to the moon.

Wait, YOU went to the moon? Yeah, you win.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rescued some hostages from the taliban
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Uncle Tony was in the resistance in Holland. Not sure exact age but like about 16. Captured and jailed twice by the Nazis and escaped both times.

We all liked uncle Tony. He had a camaro that didn't have a functioning speed guage but you knew he was speeding for sure when driving down gravel roads. Had lot of great stories too.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: People you know who have done really cool things [Justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justgeorge wrote:
Crank wrote:
Went to the moon.

Was that at the top secret studio in LA, New Mexico or Florida?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend (with colleagues) rescued some hostages from some extremists.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a good thread

Jean Chamberlain Froese. A year ahead of me in medical school. Probably biggest impact person in a decade from Toronto. Gets her OB certification. Does some stints in places like Zambia, Zimbabwe and Pakistan. Goes to Yemen for five years. That was probably the craziest thing. Probably one of only a handful of OBs in the entire country. Yemen isn't exactly a safe place for a Western woman. Ends up starting a maternity hospital in Uganda.

https://www.thomasfroese.com/jeans-story/

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about a Republican Senator who voted to certify Biden's win earlier this year.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grandfather set (and still holds) some aviation records. He also taught Geminji/Apollo/Skylab era astronauts who went to Michigan.

Coworkers I spent much time with on projects flew in space (one had for Shuttle flights).
Quote Reply
Re: People you know who have done really cool things [Justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justgeorge wrote:
Crank wrote:
Went to the moon.

I did not go to the moon. My guy did.

Another of my guys was also an astronaut, and he was the back seater in the T-38 that formed up on the Shuttle Columbia while it was gliding into Edwards at the end of its first mission (his job was to visually inspect the underside for damage to the tiles and photograph it). The same guy flew on a subsequent STS and has some crazy shots of him on an EVA to repair a satellite. I never appreciated the scale of that kind of operation until I saw the pics of him with the earth in the background.

War is god
Quote Reply

Prev Next