Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Facebook Name Changes?
Quote | Reply
Anybody noticed people intentionally spelling their name wrong on Facebook recently?

I've seen two people who have their last name spelled slightly different than it's actually spelled. Then I just got a suggested friend with what appears to be practically just random letters for a name but when I click on her profile, it's a girl I went to school with.

What's up that?
Quote Reply
Re: Facebook Name Changes? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have female friends that do this so they can't be stalked (easily) on FB. Especially ones with public facing jobs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or it could be someone has taken their information and made a new, fake profile.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So people can't find their profiles by searching (though you can keep 99% of a profile hidden from non-friends anyway).

My good friend has personal and tragic reasons to be an advocate for limitations on a popular US recreational activity. She also works in advertising and spearheaded a TV campaign that won some awards on the issue. She started receiving facebook death threats as soon as the ads aired - dozens a day from a range of people that would boggle your mind. She changed her FB name.

I have 3 pro-athlete friends whose personal pages use variants of their names to avoid their fans finding their non-public pages.

It doesn't surprise me that "normal folks" might do the same.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Last edited by: Bretom: May 14, 21 10:37
Quote Reply
Re: Facebook Name Changes? [Bretom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have several high school and college friends who had their Facebook accounts hacked, so they deleted / inactivated their old profiles and created new ones with slightly different names, using middle names, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Facebook Name Changes? [MikeH in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wife works in the medical industry. She altered her last name so her patients could not locate her easily on Face Book. Simple ounce of prevention.

I understand why people would do it in this instance and women in general as a preventative measure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope. I deactivated my account a few months ago. Done with Facebook.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Facebook Name Changes? [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:
I have female friends that do this so they can't be stalked (easily) on FB. Especially ones with public facing jobs.

That was what I figured.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's being trained into the younglings these days, particularly in MS/ HS students. Teenagers are learning how to make themselves less of a target as well as protecting their identity. This carries over into their young adult and full adult lives as best practice.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply