Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lumber thefts at all time high [Bretom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol, I re-did my plans last September to go concrete and steel, I built lock up walls at r30 with 6 inch concrete and 6 inch foam for 6.50$ per square foot material, would at retail prices would be over 12$.

Some drywall quotes are coming back at 4+$ per square foot, so I’ve been doing a stacked plywood wall for fun:
Quote Reply
Re: Lumber thefts at all time high [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Lumber thefts at all time high [ruby1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The irony is that most of the mills in the US are being purchased by Canadian companies. So the US consumer gets screwed and with the increased tarrifs the profits get re-directed to Canadian head offices. I really don’t get it, the same thing happened with Trumps aluminum and steel tarrifs.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Lumber thefts at all time high [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

Part of my backyard fence fell down a few weeks ago. Neighbour put it back up and it's being held up a 4x4 jammed into it. We've agreed to build a new fence together but definitely not this year.

Quote Reply
Re: Lumber thefts at all time high [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking really sturdy. At these prices it will be like most of the world where you hire a night watchman to make sure thieves don't steal your materials.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Lumber thefts at all time high [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We want to put a small expansion on the front on our house so I actually have an office since we’ll be at least partial work from home for the long term now. Then we want to expand my wife’s office office because she’s a crazy craft lady and needs more room.

I’m like yeah I think we’ll wait a bit. I don’t even want to get bids right now because I’m sure they’re insane.
Quote Reply
Re: Lumber thefts at all time high [spockwaslen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Basically, everything is going up. With the exception of plumbing and torch on roof we are sourcing materials and doing our own labour.

The interesting thing is that one area that hasn’t gone up (yet) are specialty finishes. We are looking at 4 inch grade a clear cedar (no knot) with shadow detail for some ceilings.

Basically 5.50$ per square foot looks good compared to 4.50$ for drywall. High end flooring is another. Now looking at some stuff in the 5-7$ sqf range because the shit stuff has come up so much.

Oh, and 176$ for a roll of 12/2 romex (the red stuff for heat and hot water) that’s account price. About double from 2 months ago. I found a roll of 14/2 in the garage with almost 50m left on it…..it literally felt like Christmas.

I would just say that if you haven’t broke ground yet or are not involved in necessary repairs don’t do anything, period. My buddy is building a couple houses for clients and when permits went in he was about 60$K over last year or 30$ per sqf….with a real cost clause in the contract he is now about a 100k over still doing the footings.

Maurice
Last edited by: mauricemaher: Jun 4, 21 7:06
Quote Reply
Re: Lumber thefts at all time high [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
It is supposed to go down... That's what we keep hearing.

It always shocks me when I go to pick up an armload of framing lumber and the bill is like $500.

With lumber costs this high, and labour so expensive (typical trades charge in the $60-100/hr range) I have no idea how people afford to build anything.

I was going to build a modest garden shed this summer and the material was going to be close to $4000 freaking dollars. I'll wait until next year.

Lumber is 65% off of its highs
Quote Reply
Re: Lumber thefts at all time high [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

It always shocks me when I go to pick up an armload of framing lumber and the bill is like $500.

With lumber costs this high, and labour so expensive (typical trades charge in the $60-100/hr range) I have no idea how people afford to build anything.

I was going to build a modest garden shed this summer and the material was going to be close to $4000 freaking dollars. I'll wait until next year.

I haven't ordered material in a few weeks but last time I did prices at lumber yards hadn't dropped yet.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Lumber thefts at all time high [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
windywave wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

I haven't ordered material in a few weeks but last time I did prices at lumber yards hadn't dropped yet.

https://www.cnbc.com/quotes/@LB.1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
windywave wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Maybe, maybe not.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/lumber-price-impact-housing-market

"While the recent drop in lumber prices is a positive development, the lumber crisis is far from over," said Jerry Howard, CEO of the National Association of Home Builders.
But Howard said most builders have been unable to take advantage of the lower prices as producers are still selling lumber that was purchased when prices were at record highs. Additionally, sawmill output continues to lag demand.
"If supply does not increase fast enough to meet demand, we may find ourselves in the same situation as last November, when lumber prices posted a similar steep reduction only to reverse course and move to record-high levels," he said.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Lumber thefts at all time high [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
windywave wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
windywave wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Maybe, maybe not.

"While the recent drop in lumber prices is a positive development, the lumber crisis is far from over," said Jerry Howard, CEO of the National Association of Home Builders.
But Howard said most builders have been unable to take advantage of the lower prices as producers are still selling lumber that was purchased when prices were at record highs. Additionally, sawmill output continues to lag demand.
"If supply does not increase fast enough to meet demand, we may find ourselves in the same situation as last November, when lumber prices posted a similar steep reduction only to reverse course and move to record-high levels," he said.

They're futures contracts so they are predicting futures prices not spot. If production lags demand sure it will remain elevated but I was just posting that prices are way off the highs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
j p o wrote:
windywave wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
windywave wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Maybe, maybe not.

They're futures contracts so they are predicting futures prices not spot. If production lags demand sure it will remain elevated but I was just posting that prices are way off the highs

I didn't notice that was futures. I assume lumber prices wil come down, they almost have to after that spike.

Of course if the price stays as high as it was there will be increase in production, that was getting kind of crazy. But for the near term I am pretty sure we are going to see a serious housing boom. And that is going to keep putting pressure on production.

At least in my tiny hamlet of Columbus we didn't hardly build a house from 2008 - 2020. Now whole developments are springing up. There is literally zero houses you can buy in my zip code. Most things are selling the first weekend they are on the market.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Lumber thefts at all time high [HiKai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HiKai wrote:
Tri-Banter
May 14, 21 5:23
Post #10 of 22 (253 views)
Damn (or dam) beavers are probably sick of the inflated price of lumber in the current market. How's a beaver supposed to make a living when his margin of profit is already pretty low to start with?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:

They all went to go work in Vail CO (Avon)

Ha I used to have that t-shirt. Used to be my go to store when I lived in Edwards back in the 90’s
Quote Reply
Re: Lumber thefts at all time high [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
windywave wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
windywave wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Maybe, maybe not.

The issue is that futures at 1k board feet are strictly speaking of dimensional lumber say 2x4, 2x8 etc. Up here that represents at best about 20% of the total lumber cost of a house.

Sheet goods and other engineered products would *typically* follow the end and flow of soft wood futures…except currently all individual lumber classes are detached from each other. (And reality)

For example 2x4 may have tripled or 4x but a sheet of OSB has gone up almost 700%…basically because a resin factory in Texas burnt up during the ice storm.

Engineered beams like parallam (think a 4x12) osb beam or an LVL (think a plywood beam) are basically impossible to get right now.

Maurice
Last edited by: mauricemaher: Jul 14, 21 22:37
Quote Reply

Prev Next