Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USCoregonian wrote:
Nice $85,000 breakaway for Taylor.

How many months will that pay off her Ivy League fees?
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Can we talk about the branding failure that the ITU executed with the non-descript paperweight trophies in their re-branding from WTS to WTCS? Does not scream "World Champion."

I’m from BC so would be very happy to call it an Alberta or local failure.

Having said that Calgary 70.3 just gave out these huge gaudy over the top belt buckles…I was honestly a bit jealous.

IDK, I raced Edmonton in 99 when it was nationals they have a 20+ year track record of doing a great job…maybe there’s a trophy allowance in that 85k$?

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
Can we talk about the branding failure that the ITU executed with the non-descript paperweight trophies in their re-branding from WTS to WTCS? Does not scream "World Champion."

I’m from BC so would be very happy to call it an Alberta or local failure.

Having said that Calgary 70.3 just gave out these huge gaudy over the top belt buckles…I was honestly a bit jealous.

IDK, I raced Edmonton in 99 when it was nationals they have a 20+ year track record of doing a great job…maybe there’s a trophy allowance in that 85k$?

Maurice

Wouldn't be an Alberta failure, this is what the ITU is giving people now: https://twitter.com/.../1401494069541548036

Now compare that to this: https://triathlonmagazine.ca/...e-covid-19-pandemic/

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eh, those 2021 trophies are pretty ugly.

Awesome race for Knibb -- great to see someone winning it on the bike
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [dand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KB racing smart here I think. Seems to be sitting in and maybe saving it until the last km. A lot of racing upcoming on his schedule.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where's Halvard??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adman wrote:
Where's Halvard??

Out celebrating I expect;) Blu certainly did work his butt off for that win. Thinking of Kona, I'm not certain I can stand to watch his hurty face look for a whole marathon.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Aug 21, 21 15:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adman wrote:
Where's Halvard??

I was following the race. It was live on Norwegian TV.
The cool thing. Gustav Iden was commentating together with his brother Mikael.
Gustav did a great job talking about all the inns and outs of the racing field.
And since he is training with Kristian, he also had a lot of information about him.

And Jakob I won the mile at Pre also. Saturday was a good day :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
Adman wrote:
Where's Halvard??

I was following the race. It was live on Norwegian TV.
The cool thing. Gustav Iden was commentating together with his brother Mikael.
Gustav did a great job talking about all the inns and outs of the racing field.
And since he is training with Kristian, he also had a lot of information about him.

And Jakob I won the mile at Pre also. Saturday was a good day :-)

having iden do commentary would be cool. I've heard Ali doing it a few times for superleague and he's quite good. hope it becomes a trend!

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Her confidence at this point has to be off the charts. Bit of a shame she was on the wrong side of the pontoon in Tokyo.

I hope we get to see knibb vs ryf next week at colins cup.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a little bump to the end of our ITU discussion thread for this cycle.

How about a little love for Seth Rider? He barely got a mention for his amazing 4th place in the Grand Final (and 9th place overall in the series for this year, which yes, was short and different I understand, but still counts).

He has been a consistent front pack swimmer for years, and as well has shown his ability to ride with the lead group for several years now. (Although commentators seem surprised when he does this, he has actually been doing it for quite a while now). He has been in several mixed relays and put out consistent legs for the team. And then at the Grand Final, he delivered on the 10k, including a massive sprint to push him to 4th. It is coming together. And he is at the great age of 24.

He doesn't have the collegiate running background of a few of our other men, so I think that may have possibly put him on the periphery a bit for those watching, but I have been watching him for years and was not surprised to see this result and was thrilled for him to put it together.

Nice race, Seth.
Last edited by: detr: Aug 23, 21 6:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Prime time Central European Daylight time... That's why the races were timed the way they were timed... Because yes, it does seem a bit odd in North American timezones.

And the "Paperweight trophies" I actually don't hate, it's less distinctive than the old WTS trophies (and certainly won't look as cool as a logo on people's kits for their titles as the old one does), but they're not that bad. I generally like the new World Triathlon logo compared to the old ITU one, and the trophies and medals tie that in, but it does have that paperweight/book-end type look to it, so I get where it might not be as exciting. I was glad they at least gave the series champs a watch, given that Maurice Lacroix is the title sponsor for the series this year, I would have been surprised if they hadn't. The local indigenous made blankets instead of flowers was also a nice touch...

Knibb was a beast with a dominant ride. She did benefit from the fact that Flora went tactical instead of flat out (realizing that she maybe didn't have as much gas in the tank, she chose to mark Spivey and Kingma, neither of which had the power to put a dent into Knibb's lead, and wait for the run to secure the world title, rather than the race win). Periault was pretty impressive too, she had a strong performance at the OG (relay excepted, where she had an uncharacteristically poor swim), and then great races in Montreal and Edmonton, and took advantage of being a few places back on the series rankings to be able to run away for second in the race. Was also happy to see Spivey hold onto the series podium, after Kingma's whining about the Montreal format, I was happy to see her miss out, because that rubbed me the wrong way...

On the men's side you have to feel for Van Riel, they worked so hard for that breakaway, unfortunately Blummenfelt was too strong in the chase, and the breakaway was probable one horse away from riding away from the chase. Great to see him fight through the sprint and grab second, but Blu was just too strong, and it was a strongman's course... Bergere's podium was another solid result for the French who seem to peak just a smidge late this season (and Luis is obviously slowly working back into run fitness from an injury which derailed his olympic chances, his swim and bike are there, which is why he did well in Montreal where the runs were short enough to fake it).

The U23 races were pretty impressive too. Lehmann and Lombardi both posted impressive wins. I was impressed that Hauser almost held on, because he looked super flat in Montreal, and Kjaer Pedersen was hella impressive again coming from the chase pack...

The upside is that we don't have to wait the usual months for the next season to start, since Hamburg is not too far off...
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
Prime time Central European Daylight time... That's why the races were timed the way they were timed... Because yes, it does seem a bit odd in North American timezones.

And the "Paperweight trophies" I actually don't hate, it's less distinctive than the old WTS trophies (and certainly won't look as cool as a logo on people's kits for their titles as the old one does), but they're not that bad. I generally like the new World Triathlon logo compared to the old ITU one, and the trophies and medals tie that in, but it does have that paperweight/book-end type look to it, so I get where it might not be as exciting. I was glad they at least gave the series champs a watch, given that Maurice Lacroix is the title sponsor for the series this year, I would have been surprised if they hadn't. The local indigenous made blankets instead of flowers was also a nice touch...

/quote]

On the time zones and scheduling, when I googled it all it was confusing as it gave me the impression that it went

WU23>WElite>MU23>MElite.

Now while watching, the broadcast made mention that the order was actually WU23>WElite>MElite>MU23, which was actually perferect to be honest. So that basically made my previous comment about race order void.

On trophies, kinda stand with the comment, but you brought up the medals, those also need work. I did think the First Nations woven blankets was a great touch, although the athletes seemed slight unprepared for that if you go back to their reactions.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are correct, it was WU23, WElite, MElite, MU23 in order, which again made sense to hit Euro Prime time. And yes, the podium finishers were surprised with the blankets instead of flowers, but that's not too surprising, since World Tri podium proceedings are heavily ritualistic and protocoled, so they were not necessarily expecting that (nor probably had accounted on the additional space in their luggage...

They may need work, but I honestly like the new World Tri medals more than the old ITU 3ring medals... But I assume that they, and the series trophies will evolve over time... And maybe look more trophyesque and less like a paperweight, but again, I don't hate them...

I'm just glad that we've got that type of racing back, and that the races have largely gone off without hitches, and even with some tight COVID related restrictions and mandatory quarantines, they're making events happen. the next two events will be interesting, with Hamburg falling in the middle of the SuperLeague series and the current cost of flights from many places to Bermuda, along with their tight quarantine requirements, so it will be interesting to see what the fields look like. I imagine that we'll see a highly motivated Flora Duffy for Bermuda...
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [detr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, just watched them (finally) and Rider was very impressive! Kind of like McDowell in Tokyo - every step he stayed with the pack, the confidence seemed to grow. Monster effort at the end, and he ran less than a minute slower than Yee.

Knibb’s swim seemed off in Tokyo. Not just the individual race, but her relay leg. I don’t think it is a wetsuit thing though, as she swam well in Yokohama.

I wish we could have seen Pearson in Canada. He said he was “struggling physically” after Tokyo, so smart to recover and get ready for next season, but I bet he would have fared well yesterday.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
abu dhabi start lists are up:

https://triathlon.org/...ies_abu_dhabi/479999
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, so can someone explain to me what's going on with low-ranked athletes now competing in WTCS?

I'm not complaining! I love this! I love this because athletes from my country (Poland) are outside the top 100 of the world ranking. It used to be that you had to be like top 60 to get into a WTS event. Poles could compete in World Cup events at best (usually placing far back), and continental cups were more like their thing. Maybe one athlete, an Olympian, would be able to get into a WTS race. (She graduated from short course to long course a few years ago).

We had 4 women in WTCS Hamburg. I thought this was owing to Super League having its September and taking out some of the best athletes, and some reeling from the Olympics. Like, anyway I thought it was a one-time thing. So we're going to see them on WTCS level on a regular basis now?

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Oct 8, 21 12:00
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably because all the top folks raced in Super League so they're taking some time off which has provided opportunity for others.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2022 is officially launched with the sarasota start lists being posted:

https://triathlon.org/...p_sarasota_bradenton
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What thread are we using for this season? Im confused, to be honest I prepared it when we had individual race threads.
Quote Reply
Re: Official ITU discussion thread... [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next