Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Just A Normal Tourist Visit
Quote | Reply
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/republican-loyal-trump-claims-capitol-riot-looked-more-normal-tourist-n1267163

Multiple Republican members of Congress on Wednesday offered a false retelling of the devastating events that occurred during the Capitol riot, with one calling the entire event a “bold faced lie” that more closely resembled a “normal tourist visit” than a deadly attack.
During a House Oversight Committee hearing on the Jan. 6 riot, Rep. Andrew Clyde, R-Ga., said the House floor was not breached and that the supporters of former President Donald Trump who stormed the Capitol behaved “in an orderly fashion.”

I guess it's not surprising or shocking anymore, but it's sad and disappointing to me that elected lawmakers can continue to downplay, normalize and revise what happened on Jan. 6. with impunity. We're lost as a nation.

Quote Reply
Re: Just A Normal Tourist Visit [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:
We're lost as a nation.

The GQP (or whatever we need to rename the former party of Lincoln that we knew as Republicans) is lost without a doubt. It is a cult of personality based in lies with no platform except to oppose what the Democrats do/say.

I am not convinced that means we are lost as a nation, yet. But it feels a though we are heading in a bad direction.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just representing his constituency. When is the last time a tourist had to be shot and killed during a visit? Do they allow tourists to sit in high profile official’s seats as well as carry around the speaker’s podium? Retired military with an armory business. Didn’t think civil asset forfeiture was a big deal until it happened to him. Tried to overturn a fair election. Sounds like he’s another solid candidate to move up in today’s Republican Party.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:
I guess it's not surprising or shocking anymore, but it's sad and disappointing to me that elected lawmakers can continue to downplay, normalize and revise what happened on Jan. 6. with impunity.

more scary still is they feel free to do so despite hours of footage to the contrary.

People have disbelieved visual evidence since the moon landings, but this many to this degree is a watershed.
Quote Reply
Re: Just A Normal Tourist Visit [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
Dgconner154 wrote:

I guess it's not surprising or shocking anymore, but it's sad and disappointing to me that elected lawmakers can continue to downplay, normalize and revise what happened on Jan. 6. with impunity.

more scary still is they feel free to do so despite hours of footage to the contrary.

People have disbelieved visual evidence since the moon landings, but this many to this degree is a watershed.

Everyone knows Republicans love their parades.

They can't seem to get their story straight -- were the rioters antifa or were they tourists? Is Biden president or is Trump? Was the election legit or not. The answer shift when the wind changes directions. It will be interesting once the Jan 6 trials begin. The court house seems to have a way of making the Trump org lose their bravado.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems reasonable. Last time I visited DC I brought zip-cuffs with me too. You can never be too careful.
Quote Reply
Re: Just A Normal Tourist Visit [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Seems reasonable. Last time I visited DC I brought zip-cuffs with me too. You can never be too careful.

Same! I’m thinking about what to take to HI this summer and other than the usual fins and snorkel gear I’m looking to make space for my military grade helmet and bullet proof vest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is completely ridiculous. Its like when your 4 yr old says he did not eat the chocolates yet has it all over his face.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jan 6 post mortem will continue regardless of republican downplay. An independent commission will stand up without the republican wish listing inclusion of BLM and antifa investigation. On this matter there will be no unity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And Clyde tweeted this.

Because he clearly cares about law enforcement, unless it is trying to prevent an issurection. Almost like Clyde believes law enforcement should only be used against certain people.

Frank Wilhoit: “Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” This seems increasingly true.
Last edited by: chaparral: May 13, 21 8:05
Quote Reply
Re: Just A Normal Tourist Visit [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having spent the last 20 years living within minutes of Clyde’s district, I feel I can say on authority it is most certainly not increasingly true. It’s increasingly more acceptable to publicly state it.....again.
Quote Reply
Re: Just A Normal Tourist Visit [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:

PRICELESS.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Just A Normal Tourist Visit [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
Dgconner154 wrote:
We're lost as a nation.

The GQP (or whatever we need to rename the former party of Lincoln that we knew as Republicans) is lost without a doubt. It is a cult of personality based in lies with no platform except to oppose what the Democrats do/say.

I am not convinced that means we are lost as a nation, yet. But it feels a though we are heading in a bad direction.

I just read this in The Bulwark:

"This is post-scarcity politics. Republican voters—a group distinct from Conservatism Inc.—no longer have any concrete outcomes that they want from government.

What they have, instead, is a lifestyle brand.

And if you want to move up the ladder within a brand network, you don’t do it by governing or making policy.

You do it by getting attention.

Donald Trump was the first figure to understand that this was where Republican voters had moved. Once you view Republican politics as an attention economy, everything about Trump’s rise and domination makes sense.

And it explains Matt Gaetz, too."

https://thetriad.thebulwark.com/...-musk-and-matt-gaetz
Quote Reply
Re: Just A Normal Tourist Visit [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy101
May 13, 21 6:57
Post #7 of 13 (289 views)
Kay Serrar wrote:
Same! I’m thinking about what to take to HI this summer and other than the usual fins and snorkel gear I’m looking to make space for my military grade helmet and bullet proof vest.
LOL ! Do not forget your Spear Gun when boarding and your Reaper 44 inch serrated knife
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pictures have emerged of Rep. Clyde barricading doors against these tourists.

Please ignore my failed attempt to link that picture.
Last edited by: Thom: May 17, 21 5:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a photo of Rep. Andrew Clyde helping to barricade the door in the Capitol on Jan 6 to keep it from being overrun ... by tourists.

The GOP thinks their base are morons

Quote Reply
Re: Just A Normal Tourist Visit [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew "Tourist visit" Clyde is the person screaming at the far left of this photo

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
Andrew "Tourist visit" Clyde is the person screaming at the far left of this photo

The irony is thick when you take into account the mask status of these two individuals, and what is transpiring
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
Here's a photo of Rep. Andrew Clyde helping to barricade the door in the Capitol on Jan 6 to keep it from being overrun ... by tourists.

The GOP thinks their base are morons

um, why wouldn't they?

Let me preface the next statement by stating that I hate both major parties and think they equally suck. That being said, I really wish that during the "heavy tourist visitation", the Democrats would have ganged up on a group of the denialist Republicans and forced them out into the hallways to have a civil conversation with these "peaceful protesters".

Sadly, that might be what needs to happen during the next insurrection.

There are three kinds of people, those who can count, and those who can't.
Quote Reply
Re: Just A Normal Tourist Visit [r7950] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
r7950 wrote:
Let me preface the next statement by stating that I hate both major parties and think they equally suck. That being said, I really wish that during the "heavy tourist visitation", the Democrats would have ganged up on a group of the denialist Republicans and forced them out into the hallways to have a civil conversation with these "peaceful protesters".

Both parties do suck, yes.

But to say that they "equally suck" is misinformation. Because Jan 6, and especially what has transpired since then, proves that beyond any shadow of a doubt that the two parties do NOT "equally suck".

Sure, many democrats suck. But the repub GQP is beyond sucking, they are floating in space over a flat earth (of course) completely disconnected from any semblance of reality. And they would rather have Vladimir Putin ruling this country with the threat of Novichok all while keeping warm from the flames of our burning Constitution, vs having Biden presiding over the country as best as he can.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Re: Just A Normal Tourist Visit [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
r7950 wrote:

Both parties do suck, yes.

But to say that they "equally suck" is misinformation. Because Jan 6, and especially what has transpired since then, proves that beyond any shadow of a doubt that the two parties do NOT "equally suck".

Sure, many democrats suck. But the repub GQP is beyond sucking, they are floating in space over a flat earth (of course) completely disconnected from any semblance of reality. And they would rather have Vladimir Putin ruling this country with the threat of Novichok all while keeping warm from the flames of our burning Constitution, vs having Biden presiding over the country as best as he can.

Whatever, dude. My opinion on a matter is not misinformation. If something has your lace undergarments in a twist, please don't accuse me of misinformation because I have a differing opinion on a matter.

Would you like to go full Godwin's law and debate whether Hitler was worse than Stalin or Pol Pot, or would you like to accept that they were all despicable?

There are three kinds of people, those who can count, and those who can't.
Quote Reply
Re: Just A Normal Tourist Visit [r7950] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want, we can compare Hitler vs Biden (comparing Hitler to those other similarly insane folks is harder).

Fyi, Hitler was lots worse than Biden (or even drumpf).

Yes, Democrats and GQPers are both messed up.

But to say they are equivalent is like saying Biden and Drumpf are equivalent. Both have issues, but drumpf sucked (your verb) far far far far far far far far more than Biden has (or will) ...

--
Quote Reply