Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: People you know who did horrible things [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
BLeP wrote:
One of my wife’s friends was murdered by her husband. We didn’t really know the guy. He’s in jail for a long time.

We typically have a work-study student who does laundry and other errands for the department, a few years ago the one who was working for us was murdered by her boyfriend who found out she was seeing someone else and about to dump him. I think that is the closest I've come to knowing someone who was murdered and I really only knew her to say hi.

Apparently my wifes friend was being abused and told her husband that she was leaving him.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: People you know who did horrible things [SheTries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SheTries wrote:
I caught my boss stealing from the company I worked for. He got prison time for that.

The best friend of one on my best friend's brother, a guy who I sort of knew because I grew up in a small town, was very quiet and unassuming, maybe on the spectrum to some degree. Anyway he was really close to my best friend's family. I don't know if he was an accountant or what, but got a job after college where he was the financial guy for a branch of a Southern States Farm supply store. He ended up getting caught stealing all kinds of money from them. He had set up fake companies and had the company who's finances he was in charge of paying them. I don't know how he got caught, but he got prison time.

One of my other best friends has a small engineering company and they caught a secretary stealing several thousand dollars from them.
Quote Reply
Re: People you know who did horrible things [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A guy who I have known since elementary school has gotten himself in a lot of trouble and served time in jail throughout the years. Some years ago he attempted to murder his girlfriend is back in prison for a very long time. For as friendly and silly he is, I would have expected him to serve life in jail for being a big time drug kingpin, not for attempted murder,

I was very good friends with the guy who was arrested for the biggest cocaine bust in Paraguay. I understand people do shit to survive but transporting 5000 lbs of cocaine is beyond bad.

Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
BLeP wrote:
One of my wife’s friends was murdered by her husband. We didn’t really know the guy. He’s in jail for a long time.

We typically have a work-study student who does laundry and other errands for the department, a few years ago the one who was working for us was murdered by her boyfriend who found out she was seeing someone else and about to dump him. I think that is the closest I've come to knowing someone who was murdered and I really only knew her to say hi.

Apparently my wifes friend was being abused and told her husband that she was leaving him.

This guy tied her up naked for most of a morning, I think there was sex involved, who knows what was going on, possibly with her trying anything and everything to get out of the situation, but at some point he strangled her.

Seems like just about every (rare) murder that happens around here is a guy killing a woman related to a relationship gone bad.
Quote Reply
Re: People you know who did horrible things [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this happened ages ago, and again not approaching murder or trafficking (so many murders!) . . .

our neighbor's daughter was getting married that day, the wedding and reception to be at the family's house. My parents were going that afternoon.

all morning long we heard screams from the house, banshee. Then the wedding happened, reception. The next day, it was annulled.

-- the groom turned out to be a bigamist, he had a whole other family. The detective had come through that morning.

I still have no clue why the family went through with the whole shebang anyway.

imagine being that girl
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
SheTries wrote:
I caught my boss stealing from the company I worked for. He got prison time for that.

The best friend of one on my best friend's brother, a guy who I sort of knew because I grew up in a small town, was very quiet and unassuming, maybe on the spectrum to some degree. Anyway he was really close to my best friend's family. I don't know if he was an accountant or what, but got a job after college where he was the financial guy for a branch of a Southern States Farm supply store. He ended up getting caught stealing all kinds of money from them. He had set up fake companies and had the company who's finances he was in charge of paying them. I don't know how he got caught, but he got prison time.

One of my other best friends has a small engineering company and they caught a secretary stealing several thousand dollars from them.

You just reminded me, a guy I knew (he was the husband of one of my wife's friends/co-workers) got busted for doing the same thing at a small local electrical supply company he was in charge of finance for - fake companies, invoices, checks etc. Very active in his community- volunteer firefighter, local councilman, Republican committeeman, was a shoe-in to become a district judge, but (based on what I assumed he would be making at his job, and having a really good idea what his wife made because she worked with my wife) it always seemed like they were living way above their means.
Turns out they were - to the tune of $3m. Spent it on vacations, renting beach houses for the summer, and putting a ton of money into their relatively modest house. The theft caused 18 layoffs at the company he ripped off.
His wife divorced him right around when the shit hit the fan and claimed to have had no knowledge of his crime, but I'd be surprised if she couldn't have seen the discrepancy between their incomes and their spending/lifestyle.
I think he got 4-11 years, not sure how much of that he actually served.
Last edited by: WelshinPhilly: May 14, 21 8:20
Quote Reply
Re: People you know who did horrible things [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
I did something terrible today. I'm in the middle of a refinance that's take for. ev. er. Like three months in. Have been asked for my proof of employment 5 times now (they need it like every 2 weeks throughout the process or something). Despite having worked at the same place for over 20 years.

So I finally cracked, and laid out all the mistakes my contact has been making in a graphical timeline, copied the supervisor.

I got the dude fired.

I don't feel great about getting people fired.

Amerisave?

~Brad
Quote Reply
Re: People you know who did horrible things [bradword] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bradword wrote:

Amerisave?

Wells Fargo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too bad Duffy still isn't around. He would have had lots of stories. True or not. Not sure

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: People you know who did horrible things [OakCliffTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I had my own construction company, a client wanted audited Financials from me as a condition of doing work for them.

I told my bookkeeper we were going to be audited.

About an hour later, she comes into my office and tells me she's been overpaying herself. It was $3k.

I told her she had a week to come up with a repayment plan or get fired. She didn't do it so let her go and then I told her she had a month to get me repaid.
A couple days later and I get the unemployment. The workforce commission worked by fax only so I offered to fax 50 pages of documentation as to why she shouldn't get unemployment. They said I needed a police report.

So instead of repaying me as requested, she got a jail time felony plus a legal order to repay me.

When doing a school remodel job, I had to do background checks on my employees. Out of 11, 6 had felonies and 3 of them were violent felonies.
I clearly remember sitting in my office and wondering what had I done. I don't miss having my own business.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I did something terrible today. I'm in the middle of a refinance that's take for. ev. er. Like three months in. Have been asked for my proof of employment 5 times now (they need it like every 2 weeks throughout the process or something). Despite having worked at the same place for over 20 years.

So I finally cracked, and laid out all the mistakes my contact has been making in a graphical timeline, copied the supervisor.

I got the dude fired.

I don't feel great about getting people fired.

Don't be too hard on yourself. It's possible your message was the straw that broke the camel's back - perhaps there were other incidents. That actually seems likely.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
BLeP wrote:

I'm pretty sure we're both in academia. Our work study students in similar positions don't do laundry. What on earth are your work study students washing?

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: People you know who did horrible things [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:

Quote:

BLeP wrote:

I'm pretty sure we're both in academia. Our work study students in similar positions don't do laundry. What on earth are your work study students washing?

Physical Therapy department, so sheets, towels, pillow cases, hospital gowns.
Quote Reply
Re: People you know who did horrible things [DTC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DTC wrote:
As a teacher I’ve had or known a few ex-students who are in the pokey for drugs, robberies and even murder.

However, my favorite is of course Melanie McGuire. If you don’t recognize the name feel free to look her up. She was my wife’s and mine nurse at a fertility clinic. My wife wrote a nice note to the clinic saying what a nice nurse she was after we had gone through our stuff there. A couple of years later she was convicted of chopping up her husband and putting him in suitcases in the Chesapeake. And apparently she had been having an affair with our fertility doc. Good times.

Wow, this reminds me of one of my wife's students. He was with a group of kids that broke into a house, he left the house and the other kids killed the owner. Since he was with them he was convicted of murder and is still in prison. One of his first letters he wrote after his conviction was to my wife and he apologized for letting her down.

She says he was a pretty good kid but got caught up in the wrong crowd and didn't have much family support.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: People you know who did horrible things [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
That reminds me. My mother in law's very long term boyfriend is diabetic. He doesn't monitor his insulin very well. Had been blacking out, losing vision and still driving to work because the m-i-l just couldn't be bothered. They talked about it long before the wreck.

Blacked out, head on collision, killed a guy, and walked free. Of course never admitted what had been happening to the police. Never acknowledged any responsibility even in private. Acted like it was completely unavoidable. Just completely nonchalant about it. That was a few years ago. We've barely spoken to them since.

Man, I know some real shit people.

As I was reading down through your post I was thinking the same thing.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A high school friend was disbarred and convicted of tax evasion. A college classmate was once the Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
bradword wrote:

Amerisave?

Wells Fargo.

Ahh, just sounded almost exactly my experience with Amerisave ;)

~Brad
Quote Reply
Re: People you know who did horrible things [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
I've lead a boring life. I got nothing.

I'm the same but not because we led boring lives. We just hung around with boring people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
BLeP wrote:

Physical Therapy department, so sheets, towels, pillow cases, hospital gowns.

Okay, that makes sense. I was starting to envision you as a university president who always needed suit coats ready to go, like a Wall Street guy!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a pretty close business associate that started his own business. It grew, went public, and pretty soon he was worth $500 million. He cashed out a bunch. Spent it on insane parties, jets, etc. Within a couple years the company was bankrupted. Lots of ordinary investors lost millions. He should have gone to prison but this was in the early 2000's so there were lots like him. Too many for the SEC to go after.

He died of a heart attack. The rumor I heard is he was having sex with his mistress and he had a heart attack (Too much blow). She panicked and instead of calling 911 she just left.
Quote Reply

Prev Next