Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Felt IA aero bars failure caused by my silliness... :(
Quote | Reply
1. My Felt IA is 2020 IA disc, Advanced Model with proprietary Felt aero bars. I Purchased it June 2020 and total mileage is 1000-1500 for I was really busy nowadays.

2. I used 20mm threaded stack spacers and (I thought) used 20mm, 30mm bolts to fasten them, following the assembly manual.

3. Yesterday, I was enjoying a pleasant evening ride cruising at 25mph but suddenly left aerobar collapsed.
Fortunately I am OK. I think intensive core muscle workouts saved me :)

4. I went home with broken bar put in my rear pocket 10 mph.... at that time I was 100% sure that it was caused by Felt's foolish engineering.

5. I was wrong. As I unbolted right one, I found out that I used 5mm shorter bolts.
When I first assembled my bike I thought the bolt length written on the paper means "whole length" I mean from the bolt head to the bottom....
at that time I did not know that I should only measure the threaded parts....

6. The bolts came with the bike have 5mm height head.. So it explains why I used 5mm shorter bolts.

7. I wrote How silly I was to warn another silly guy like me...

Stay home, stay healthy.
Last edited by: Peter Ghimme: May 13, 21 5:04
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA aero bars failure caused by my silliness... :( [Peter Ghimme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These bars? Did you strip the threads or break the spacer?

I have some with a different basebar. Running 30 and 40mm spacers... guess I reamed out the 30mm so I could run bolts all the way through into the 40mm. They've been solid so far.

Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA aero bars failure caused by my silliness... :( [Peter Ghimme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For a second i thought that the Felt IA aerobar clips (i think thats whay they are called) were failing again. I own a Felt IA FRD thats about 6ish years old and a couple years ago one of the clips that holds the aero bar snapped. Luckily I was on my trainer at the time so i didnt fall off too badly. I thought it was a freak failure but after some research i found several cases were these clips were snapping, someone i think posted on here about how their clip failed while going downhill at over 30 mph.

I took the bike to an authorized Felt dealer, they called Felt and Felt immediately knew what the issue was and sent updated and improved replacements. Always wondered if there should have been a recall.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Peter Ghimme wrote:
1. My Felt IA is 2020 IA disc, Advanced Model with proprietary Felt aero bars. I Purchased it June 2020 and total mileage is 1000-1500 for I was really busy nowadays.

2. I used 20mm threaded stack spacers and (I thought) used 20mm, 30mm bolts to fasten them, following the assembly manual.

3. Yesterday, I was enjoying a pleasant evening ride cruising at 25mph but suddenly left aerobar collapsed.
Fortunately I am OK. I think intensive core muscle workouts saved me :)

4. I went home with broken bar put in my rear pocket 10 mph.... at that time I was 100% sure that it was caused by Felt's foolish engineering.

5. I was wrong. As I unbolted right one, I found out that I used 5mm shorter bolts.
When I first assembled my bike I thought the bolt length written on the paper means "whole length" I mean from the bolt head to the bottom....
at that time I did not know that I should only measure the threaded parts....

6. The bolts came with the bike have 5mm height head.. So it explains why I used 5mm shorter bolts.

7. I wrote How silly I was to warn another silly guy like me...

When I had my previous Felt IA with the same bars I always was confused by the same thing when doing bar heigh adjustments, I was never sure whether or not the recommended lengths included the head or not, its not clear in the manual. I also hated all those damn tiny washers you need all over the place.
I recently got a sale priced 2020 IA FRD disc framest, that came with the same bars, but I decided to buy the Felt dagger stem, and got a Zipp Vuka Aero setup. Way nicer IMHO.
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: May 13, 21 14:17
Quote Reply