Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How important is fast running in training? [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
I asked friend who just got her Pro Card after IM Florida how she was able to run so fast off the bike (3rd fastest Female) she said "make the long runs hurt"! Since I live in flat flat Virginia Beach she said I needed to be intimatley familar with a local bridge. So far its working, I did a hard hill 70.3 Saturday and had my fastest run and it was eight minutes off my stand alone half PR which was done in November 2020 on a course that was flatter than a pancake.

This goes against what I perceive as "running rules" but I had my best seasons when I ran my longer runs faster/harder.
Quote Reply
Re: How important is fast running in training? [markko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a neurological degradation component to aging. In cycling you see people able to maintain peak outputs much later in life. Why is this?
In cycling every one of us can think about those small :05 -:20 second hills where we blast up them.

As people age they tend to avoid doing this sort of thing in running.

In order to stave off the effects of aging as long as possible doing some really fast work is important. This doesn't mean doing 6x400 at full gas. It could mean doing some strides at sub mile effort and then adding in a couple of 100s-400s every week.

To focus only on this, which will help you immensely in the last 600m of a race but ignore the other 9400m or 20,500m is like stepping over dollars to pick up pennies.

There was a great thread on this a few years back. A search may be warranted.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: How important is fast running in training? [markko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my experience "less is more" with fast running. A small amount goes a long way. However doing no fast running in training is leaving performance on the table.
Quote Reply
Re: How important is fast running in training? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nordicskier brought up a good workout also to get to the neuromuscular, which is 200m on 200m jogging at track. I would shorten it further and go 100 on, 100 off. This lets you ramp speed up to 5:15 per mile pace (78 secnds per 400m or roughly 20 seconds per 100m pace) without getting into any cardio distress, meaning your muscles will stay coordinated to apply force to the track so unlikely to get injured.

Yes, I did 4x400 (300 on and 100 walk) at 3.20 min/km or 5.22 min/mile
and then 4x400 (200 on and 200 walk) at 3.00 min/km or 4.50 min/mile

Both cases my heartrate does not have time to peak, not even close (maybe reaching something like what would be approximate threshold speed run) and the recovery is enough to get back where I started, ie. it doesnt get higher as workout goes on. So the benefits would rather be neuromuscular/strenght ... Anyway, running felt pretty good last week after the speedwork, so I'll kepp doing it but with care, if I feel at all tires or sluggish, I'll skip or slow down a lot
Quote Reply

Prev Next