Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fed up with Garmin - what not-Garmin watch to use? [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Garmin will send you a refurbished unit, free of charge"
"I've had to pay ~$100 for each replacement"

It's interesting to hear how variable the Garmin responses are. My Fenix 5 has the same barometer/temperature sensor issue as many, and I was quoted $160+tax for a refurbished Fenix 5. I would certainly take a refurb unit for free, and maybe even pay $100, but definitely not $160 for a used and dated model when there are other new options on the market for not much more money.
Quote Reply
Re: Fed up with Garmin - what not-Garmin watch to use? [laseranimal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
laseranimal wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:
Garmin watches have inaccurate GPS data in my area. The wrist hrm is totally unreliable. And I don't trust the chest monitor when I am cycling either.

I bought a Suunto watch.
I found it had the same GPS problem- they use the same satellites and their wrist HRM didn't work well either.

This is a problem with the new Sony chipsets most watches are using today, they’re less accurate but they’re way better for battery life. Apparently since everyone is doing an ultramarathon on a daily basis and needs 40 hours of continuous GPS recording it’s a priority for manufacturers over getting more accurate location data.

Yup I have a Suunto 9 and have complained about this. Used to have Ambit3 which was excellent accuracy, but unfortunately I lost it ... they’ve gone backwards with their GPS ... wrist HR is not good either so I’m still using my belt. If I use my wrist HR it always shows me in zone 5 when I know I’m in zone 2 or 3.

I switched from Garmin to Suunto (after owning multiple Garmin watches, yes I think we are all familiar with replacing a broken Garmin ..) but my next watch might be another brand (am hearing some good stuff with Coros??)

The better half switched from Garmin to Apple and is quite happy (though battery life isn’t so great...)
Quote Reply
Re: Fed up with Garmin - what not-Garmin watch to use? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
For what its worth, despite some folks like yourself having the some bad luck, literally everyone I know who has tried to move away from Garmin, eventually went back to garmin.

You don't know me, of course, but my experience is just the opposite. I initially gave up in frustration about 10 years ago. Since then, I've been tempted to try Garmin again twice (645M for music and Edge 530 for radar). Both times I regretted the attempt and ended up hating Garmin even more. After three strikes they're out, permanently.

As a software engineer that also does user experience design, I may have atypical biases. But the quality of Garmin's software is abysmal and an average intern could vastly improve their user experience. I don't care what features Garmin adds. If they cause the watch to crash and if they're not easy to use, they're not worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: Fed up with Garmin - what not-Garmin watch to use? [jonmhicks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$160 was what I was quoted about a month ago, sort of regret not taking the offer at $70 in fall. At that time I was so pissed because this was the 3rd time and just a few weeks out of warrantee. My previous failures happened around 1.5-2 years of use. I'm pretty sure they were $100. I don't know why it happens to me so much. I don't swim that much, at least compared to most on slowtwitch.

It was easy for me to switch to the coros since it only costed me $160, had some discounts and reward points. I'm just waiting for a new garmin with updates that I actually want. I don't care for the newer fenix or forerunners.
Quote Reply
Re: Fed up with Garmin - what not-Garmin watch to use? [KLK1712] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coros Apex Pro.

I've tried Wahoo's watch, Android smart watch, Garmin this and that. Love the Coros for it's simplicity, ridiculous battery life and for being not-Garmin. My wife does love her Garmin Fenix 5s though.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Fed up with Garmin - what not-Garmin watch to use? [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
Garmin watches have inaccurate GPS data in my area. The wrist hrm is totally unreliable. And I don't trust the chest monitor when I am cycling either.

I bought a Suunto watch.
I found it had the same GPS problem- they use the same satellites and their wrist HRM didn't work well either.

Why would you think they'd use different satellites? Lolz

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply

Prev Next