Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM CDA in 2022??
Quote | Reply
I think this race was on rotation but wondering if anyone knows if there's any chance it'll be continued into 2022?
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA in 2022?? [pacco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My general understanding is that it's on a 3 year rotation, starting this year. But, all things being WTC, there is no guarantee it will be back.
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA in 2022?? [mountain_erin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So it's scheduled to happen 3 years in a row (2021, 2022, 2023)? I guess I misunderstood that it was just once on a 3 year rotation with other races. That'd be great if I was wrong!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every three years; it is in rotation with STG and something else....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The plan was for a full Ironman to rotate between three different sites. On the years where a site doesn't have a full ironman, it would then have a half ironman.

So....

Coeur d'Alene:
2021 = Full
2022 = Half
2023 = Half

St. George:
2021 = Half
2022 = Full
2023 = Half

And then in 2024 the rotation would start again (so full back to CDA) provided the cities and Ironman renew their contract together (CDA has a contract through 2023, not sure about St George). There was going to be a third site that followed this as well and would have the full in 2023. However I don't think anything was ever announced yet

Matt
Last edited by: Chemist: May 12, 21 11:12
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA in 2022?? [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
The plan was for a full Ironman to rotate between three different sites. On the years where a site doesn't have a full ironman, it would then have a half ironman.

So....

Coeur d'Alene:
2021 = Full
2022 = Half
2023 = Half

St. George:
2021 = Half
2022 = Full
2023 = Half

And then in 2024 the rotation would start again (so full back to CDA) provided the cities and Ironman renew their contract together (CDA has a contract through 2023, not sure about St George). There was going to be a third site that followed this as well and would have the full in 2023. However I don't think anything was ever announced yet

Was the third site Boulder, or was the full IM totally nixed and it only has the 70.3 now?
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA in 2022?? [Stratix11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumors had been going around about Boulder, Canada (Whistler), and Santa Rosa all being possible third spots for the rotation.

This was from the Ironman 70.3 CDA website page from 2020

Quote:
In addition, IRONMAN Coeur d'Alene returns as part of the new rotating series. St George, Utah plays host to our first stop in September of 2020. Our second stop, Coeur d'Alene, will take place on June 27th 2021. There will be a third stop announced at a later date for 2022. Get ready!
Since St. George got cancelled due to COVID, they moved the full from 2020 to 2022. But still no announcement where the third site may be. I'm guessing COVID kind of messed up planning and contracts and they (and perhaps city counsels) are probably holding out to see how things go over the next few months. But this is purely speculation on my part

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA in 2022?? [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would love Boulder to come back but I'm not counting on it. WTC pulled out of Boulder a year before the contract expired. My very educated guess is that it was because the City and County of Boulder was placing restrictions on the race that made it incredibly challenging to put on successfully.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish Tahoe would be the 3rd race mixed back in. My guess is Boulder, which was a great (hot as hell) race too.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA in 2022?? [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ya that would be a nice one to bring back. i still dont know why they dont do an event there the weekend after labor day. usually have perfect weather that time, unlike a couple weeks later which can be a crapshoot as they found out in years past. the only thing would be potential fire season. the area is dead in sept after labor day, and i would think they would welcome the revenue. tons of lodging options. it really makes too much sense to me. wonder what the main hold up would be. you have so many route options too, i would think they could find a bike course that would appease the locals too. but what do i know.
Quote Reply
Re: IM CDA in 2022?? [Blainyboy8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blainyboy8 wrote:
ya that would be a nice one to bring back. i still dont know why they dont do an event there the weekend after labor day. usually have perfect weather that time, unlike a couple weeks later which can be a crapshoot as they found out in years past. the only thing would be potential fire season. the area is dead in sept after labor day, and i would think they would welcome the revenue. tons of lodging options. it really makes too much sense to me. wonder what the main hold up would be. you have so many route options too, i would think they could find a bike course that would appease the locals too. but what do i know.

Tahoe is crazy busy in the summer, pulling off the 70.3 again definitely seems more doable than the full. Donner Lake does a 70.3, don't they? That's late July this year

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply