Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Travel Ban IM say race going ahead
Quote | Reply
Ironman is saying the European races are going ahead, one in 4 weeks.

For those who can’t travel due to government restrictions it looks like they are going to lose their entries. IM has classified last years cancelled race as a deferral so no 2nd deferral despite it being the first!

For those living in Europe who were going to travel but now want to stay at home can’t find a race because they are full.

Why can’t IM just allow changes. I am not talking about refunds, simply changes to a race. It would be so easy to set up FB pages for athletes to reach out and say I am entered in this race does someone want to swap etc.
Last edited by: SheTries: May 12, 21 1:20
Quote Reply
Re: Travel Ban IM say race going ahead [SheTries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that it is fair to say that the Covid situation in much of Europe is improving (living in Switzerland...I got my first vaccination earlier this week), but I am not sure that the associated relaxing of restrictions is happening fast enough that races with 2,500 participants will happen in four weeks. Maybe in some places yes, but certainly not all. For example, a decision was made about four weeks ago to postpone IM Switzerland from mid-July to September. Similar situation with IM Frankfurt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.k226.com/events/events.aspx#K226

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you emailed the races specifically to confirm no deferral due to travel restrictions? I just deferred a 70.3 for the 2nd time (or 3rd if you count the rescheduled date) due to travel restrictions. I emailed the race and they sent me a link to defer again. But maybe it’s different for the races you have.
Quote Reply
Re: Travel Ban IM say race going ahead [IanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IanH wrote:
Have you emailed the races specifically to confirm no deferral due to travel restrictions? I just deferred a 70.3 for the 2nd time (or 3rd if you count the rescheduled date) due to travel restrictions. I emailed the race and they sent me a link to defer again. But maybe it’s different for the races you have.

That is interesting. Are they European races or US? No response to emails unfortunately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in this same situation. I live in Canada and was signed up for Musselman 70.3 in July.
Due to the governments keeping the borders closed, I went to the IM Musselman 70.3 website, click on contact and e-mailed them with my situation.
I was very surprised, but received a reply in 2-3 days and I was able to deferrer (again for the 2nd time) to 2022 Musselman.
They sent me a link that took me to the active.com website.
I filled in all the information and All was good. Signed up for 2022 with no added fees. It did state that you would not be able to defer photo pix or anything else you purchased separately.
So because of my 2 deferrals, all I am out is my 1 day USTA membership x's 2 so about 30 bucks I think.
Try going to the race specific contact page.
The reasons for deferring were:

1. Sick/Unable to train
2. Travel restrictions
3. Uncomfortable with the current situation

Seemed like they covered a broad area for reasons to not race.

Hope this helps. I know dealing with IM sucks sometimes. Keep e-mailing and stay persistent.

Cheers,

Quinner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think IM (or any race director) should go ahead and run their race if they are given the permits to do that. For those who live locally with no travel restrictions, it should be use it or lose it. For those who cannot travel into that region because of govt travel restrictions, there could be an option to roll it over to the following year.

This does bring up in interesting point relative to Kona. Kiwis and Aussies qualified at races that no one could get into. Now they may not be able to get out to go to Kona. Do they get automatically rolled over? I believe that would be nice of Ironman if they do that. Sometimes luck is on your side or against you in this pandemic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SheTries wrote:
IanH wrote:

That is interesting. Are they European races or US? No response to emails unfortunately.

The way this company treats its users and customers, l never cease to be amazed at how they can do this and yet still remain in business.

A sad state of affairs.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply