Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IRONMAN® 70.3® World Championship - Important Dates and Times [Thorben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thorben wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
Thorben wrote:
How bad is traffic to / from LAX, especially on Sunday? It's my only option to fly non-stop on miles from Europe and LH just pushed my return flight to 3pm Sun after the race.

It’s 6+ hour drive with no traffic. You will hit some traffic going through Vegas and you’ll certainly hit traffic once you get near LA. 3pm international flight means being at LAX by 1pm. Which means you’ll need to start driving from St. George to LA at 11pm/midnight on Sunday to give yourself a 7-8 hour buffer for the drive. That means you’ll get no sleep after being up for 20 hours with a difficult and hot ass race in between. Sounds horrible and potentially dangerous. Or you start driving once the race is over on Sunday and get a hotel near LAX. Also sounds horrible.

Thanks for your reply. Looks like all my options are awful, but I I try not to add another day away from the family and just use my return flight to sleep and recover. 7-8 hours of additional buffer sounds like a lot to me, but I’ve never experienced LA traffic.

I might split the difference and drive halfway after the race, find a hotel west of Vegas and drive the rest the next morning. Getting up early should not be a problem as I’m only flying in Wednesday and still be on like +5hrs come Sunday. Can you recommend places to look for a nights accommodation between Vegas and LA?

It wasn’t a 7-8 hour additional buffer with my timeline. That included the drive. So the extra buffer is really only 30-90 minutes since the drive is about 6.5 hours without a traffic issue.

There’s pretty much nothing between Vegas and LA. It’s a desert wasteland until you hit Barstow (which is two hours from LA). There could be some shitty roadside motels along I-15 between Vegas and Barstow but there is zero chance I’d stay in one. If you can make the 4+ hour drive from St. George to Barstow that might be your only “decent” option between Vegas and LA.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Jun 10, 21 4:18
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN® 70.3® World Championship - Important Dates and Times [Russlush3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Russlush3 wrote:
LifeTri wrote:
Russlush3 wrote:
LifeTri wrote:
I figure we can use this as a place to talk about logistics around the event. Possibly even work out car pools or other arrangements.

This would be quite helpful. Has anyone had success finding someone to split a hotel room in the past (on this forum or elsewhere)? Just qualified and registered, but hotel prices are quite high. And can anyone comment on the parking the morning of the race? Staying a bit further out of the city is manageable as long as parking isn't a disaster.

Thanks,

Dang, I really need to find a roomie. Just seeing rates have jumped about 500% in the last month. PM me if anyone is interested.

Also, what airlines are the best for flying with a bike? (update, I booked with American Airlines.)

Yeah I was looking through standard travel websites and motel rooms were like $450/night...nuts. I dug a bit more and realized rates through the travel section of the race website were reasonable (looks like its run by the local tourism board):

https://ironman.greaterzion.com/places-to-stay/

I snagged a room for about $200/night, which is more than what I would normally pay, but manageable. At that rate I don't desperately need to find someone to split it, but if anyone have a hard time finding a room I can consider, just PM me. Hope that helps.

Thinking of staying 30 minutes away in Mesquite Nevada, and renting a car for half the price.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN® 70.3® World Championship - Important Dates and Times [tedtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are all registered athletes invited to attend the Saturday Night Awards Banquet, or do you need to podium in your AG to get invited to the Saturday night dinner? Anyone been to this event?
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN® 70.3® World Championship - Important Dates and Times [tedtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just qualified and need to book a hotel and flight and just want to confirm a few details.

Do we need to be there by Thursday to check in for the men’s race?

Anyone recommend and hotels that are still available?

Is the best option to check through the Ironman site for booking?

Is leaving Saturday night too ambitious with an evening flight ?
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN® 70.3® World Championship - Important Dates and Times [epg0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
epg0 wrote:
I just qualified and need to book a hotel and flight and just want to confirm a few details.

Do we need to be there by Thursday to check in for the men’s race?

Anyone recommend and hotels that are still available?

Is the best option to check through the Ironman site for booking?

Is leaving Saturday night too ambitious with an evening flight ?

Thursday is check in - I’m flying into Vegas on Wednesday evening, staying in a hotel, then driving to St George on Thursday morning.

I reserved the Comfort Inn at convention center in st George for two nights, and I have a red eye flight home Sat night from Vegas. I guess it depends on when you are flying out, but my flight doesn’t leave until 10:30 pm.

I’m also planning to use Tri Bike Transport, so I won’t need to be boxing up my bike after the race. It may cost a bit more, but it’s worth it for no hassle after the race.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN® 70.3® World Championship - Important Dates and Times [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is there info (or guesses) on the order of the men AG's race morning?

realistic prediction of a wetsuit vs non-wetsuit swim?

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where / when do we get tickets to this?
For family members as well but can’t remember where or when we purchase tickets………….
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN® 70.3® World Championship - Important Dates and Times [Russlush3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How far are these places from the race? They say St. George area. I figure for the price it is close enough....but was wondering anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN® 70.3® World Championship - Important Dates and Times [curdog16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i am from utah. St George is small you can stay anywhere in the area and be close, I wouldn't worry about location for this race, it is so easy to drive around.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN® 70.3® World Championship - Important Dates and Times [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you find a roommate? I am an american advantage member. What was the cost for flying the bike?
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN® 70.3® World Championship - Important Dates and Times [curdog16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T2/Finish is basically around "Town Square Park" (full details in athlete guide). Google maps will give you a decent estimate. A couple are within walking distance, most <10 min drive. Even the ones pretty far out are maybe 20 minute drive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What did I do wrong on mapping out the bike course?

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/36662095

Shows 58.4 miles.

Clearly screwed something up ...........................

Thoughts?

Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN® 70.3® World Championship - Important Dates and Times [Y-Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Asking the locals:
Any idea if the US are likely to open the borders to (vaccinated) Europeans (preferably with no quarantine..) before the race in St George? I recevied an email from IM and I have 48h to accept a slot or let it go...

Given the developing delta variant in Europe, this seems fairly unlikely...but Europe is welcoming american tourists and my understanding is that European representatives are trying to negotiate reciprocity...

No one can predict the future obviously, but great if you have some insights to share. thank you!

It doesn't get easier, you just get slower
https://mymsracesironman.home.blog/
Quote Reply

Prev Next