Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Di2 Setup Info needed & appreciated
Quote | Reply
Hey all! In need of some assistance. Looking to upgrade my Shiv to Di2 and would like some conformation on what is needed (please bear with me as I don't have any experience with di2 and just getting my feet wet).

I'm running 1x so I'll only be looking at rear shifting and will only run shifting on bar end (not brake), so from what I've read I need the following:

Rear Derailleur (most likely Shimano RD-R8050-GS)
Right shifter (Shimano SW-R671)
Battery (Shimano SM-BTR1)
3-port junction box (Shimano SM-EW90)
wire?

Am I missing/not considering anything? From what I understand I can run a 3-port box bc of 1x and only the one shifter.

Those with Shivs, where are you running your junction box and battery?

Any and all help is mucho appreciated! Thanks!
Last edited by: pez2019: May 11, 21 14:16
Quote Reply
Re: Info needed & appreciated [pez2019] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this for the classic Shiv tri, the new Shiv tri with disc brakes, or Shiv timetrial? :D Answers will probably be different in regards to where to place the battery and junction box(es).

I have the old Shiv tri and still using mech. Interested in answers as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Info needed & appreciated [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a 2016 Shiv Pro so I'm assuming it would be considered old tri (rim brake)

I've seen some running the junction on/under the stem but the battery I'm not sure about. I'm thinking about mounting it in the bladder access (I don't use it) but worried about securing it
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Setup Info needed & appreciated [pez2019] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have the shiv bars or did you change them?
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Setup Info needed & appreciated [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, purchased as a frameset and built it up. Currently running a Profile Design Aeria AL Evo with TriRig Sigma stem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That'll work, with the caveat that you will need to source the two-button shifter, which is getting hard to find. You'll also be running a really long wire to the derailleur, which isn't a big deal, but - again - might be hard to source. Will also mean running two DI2 wires from the cockpit to the bike proper, which isn't as clean as running a single wire into the bike and splitting to the battery/derailleur. Last caveat is this will make it harder to add shift buttons to the hoods position if you wanted to in the future (and why wouldn't you? It's the coolest part of having DI2 on a Tri bike...)

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pez2019 wrote:
Hey all! In need of some assistance. Looking to upgrade my Shiv to Di2 and would like some conformation on what is needed (please bear with me as I don't have any experience with di2 and just getting my feet wet).

I'm running 1x so I'll only be looking at rear shifting and will only run shifting on bar end (not brake), so from what I've read I need the following:

Rear Derailleur (most likely Shimano RD-R8050-GS)
Right shifter (Shimano SW-R671)
Battery (Shimano SM-BTR1)
3-port junction box (Shimano SM-EW90)
wire?

Am I missing/not considering anything? From what I understand I can run a 3-port box bc of 1x and only the one shifter.

Those with Shivs, where are you running your junction box and battery?

Any and all help is mucho appreciated! Thanks!

You are missing a splitter, either in the form of JC-130 (Y-splitter) or a JC-41 (4-port junction).

Given that you are doing rear shifting only, you could just get a bar-end Junction A (RS-910) and stick that into the one of your extensions and stick a single SW-R671 (those are usually sold in pairs) in the other extension.

The cabling would then go from R671 to one of the ports of the RS-910; then from the other port of RS-910, run a long cable (EW-50) down to the BB area, and use a Y-splitter (JC-130). One of the ends go to your RD, and the other goes to the internal battery, which will be housed in your seat-tube.

Alternatively, in lieu of the JC-130, use a JC-41 (4 ports) and plug one of the ports.

ETA: there's also a splicer, which basically extends the length of a e-tube wire. That part is JC-200.
Last edited by: echappist: May 11, 21 14:46
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Setup Info needed & appreciated [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You are missing a splitter,

He isn't if he's ok with running dual leads out of the Junction A to the bike proper, and if he's running a dual button shifter.

Bar end shifter > Junction A >Battery
Junction A > Rear Shifter

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Last edited by: fredly: May 11, 21 15:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pez2019 wrote:
No, purchased as a frameset and built it up. Currently running a Profile Design Aeria AL Evo with TriRig Sigma stem.

Unfortunately those bars won't work with the Profile Design Aeroport - which puts the RS910 junction and the battery in the extensions.
So you are stuck with the 3-port EW90 junction which is a lot harder to make look tidy.
I have put the battery inside the extension with Aeria Evo - it can't rattle around in there.

So if you stick with those bars
One SD50 from shifter to 3-port
a JC130 connecting shifter and battery inside extension and out to 3-port
an SD50 from 3-port to rear mech (probably the 1400mm)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may also be able to use the SW-R600 remote climbing shifter. Though, I have seen plenty of the two-button shifters on ebay but usually only the pair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is why I wanted to ask, you all are way more knowledgeable than I am!! Thank you for everyone's input!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't realize that the internal battery could fit in extensions (just checked the dimensions) but I am switching to tririg Gamma 115 extensions and depending on how short I need to cut them I think I'll have enough length to fit it in there (assuming the left bar due to the shifter being on the right side). Am I thinking correctly? Running the external battery on my frame has been the worry as there's no good place for it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
pez2019 wrote:

Unfortunately those bars won't work with the Profile Design Aeroport - which puts the RS910 junction and the battery in the extensions.
So you are stuck with the 3-port EW90 junction which is a lot harder to make look tidy.
I have put the battery inside the extension with Aeria Evo - it can't rattle around in there.

So if you stick with those bars
One SD50 from shifter to 3-port
a JC130 connecting shifter and battery inside extension and out to 3-port
an SD50 from 3-port to rear mech (probably the 1400mm)

Ah, nvm I see what you're saying...since the extensions don't have rear access. Man, that would have been a cleaner setup
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just note that the battery won't fit in carbon extensions (other than the Profile Design 35C+)
Gamma 115 alloy will be fine. Cut the extensions to length, then carefully push the battery in with the SD50 wire going down the side. Thread wire through the bracket then install extension.
You may struggle to find a 2 button shifter on its own, thus the plan I suggested is based on two single button shifters.
Quote Reply