Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ride around Lake Winnipesaukee
Quote | Reply
I have a condo in Gilford, NH and will be up there for Memorial Day weekend. I am looking to ride around the big lake, approximately 75 miles, and was looking for someone to join me either Saturday or Sunday, weather permitting. If anyone is interested in doing that kind of ride and has a place in that area, let me know. I am familiar with the area, but have never ridden around the entire lake. It would be good to ride with at least one other person for that long of a ride.

I typically ride from Gilford into Alton and then back up toward Gunstock, or go the other direction into Meredith and ride past the Weirs. I am open to going in either direction around the lake.
Quote Reply
Re: Ride around Lake Winnipesaukee [Pieman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had to look it up out of curiosity. My entire NH experience was running a marathon in Nashua in my 50-state quest and drinking at the breweries Martha's Exchange, Millyard, and Smuttynose.

Google has it as 61.5 miles biking
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/43.6309292,-71.2772407/43.63593,-71.4899868/43.5106761,-71.2665561/43.6302596,-71.2765132/@43.6236936,-71.2836979,14.5z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e1

Looks like fun.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moe : Where were you born?
Curly : Lake Winnipesaukee.
Moe : How do you spell that?
Curly : W-O... woof! Make it Lake Erie, I got an Uncle there!
Moe : What was your family decomposed of?
Curly : Well, I'll tell ya! There was a litter of three, and I was the one they kept! N'yuk n'yuk n'yuk!

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could do the Friday before if you're going to be up early? I live about hr/1:15 south of there. Not sure how long your weekend is going to be. Can't really take a full day from the fam over memorial day though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd like to try this ride too, but won't be around Mem Day wknd. I have been told it isn't a good ride to do when traffic is heavy, so am unsure if Mem Day wknd is the best choice.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live near Squam and I would not recommend riding around Winnipesauke on Memorial day weekend. Its going to be a zoo. If you have never done it I would save it for a mid week ride off season. You can do better loops that are a lot more void of traffic. One 55 mile ride I do is around Squam, north to Sandwich, then around North Sandwich, Tamworth, and Wonalancet. The back side of Winnipesauke is not bad on the Wolfboro side but the Gilford, Laconia, Meredith stretch is bumper to bumper.
Quote Reply
Re: Ride around Lake Winnipesaukee [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice. I should have known how busy it would be. I will save it for a midweek ride when I am on vacation up there.

I rode on the 4th of July last year around Laconia, Meredith and Gilford. It was crazy busy, but I started at 5:30 a.m. and finished by 8:30. Even at 8:30 there were a ton of people out going to the lake, loading up their coolers with cases of beer, lol.
Quote Reply
Re: Ride around Lake Winnipesaukee [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good points on the busy weekend. I'm up for it during the week between now up until the 3rd week of June, I have a race on the 19th so I'd like to avoid the week before that, but between now and then I'm game for rides anywhere between there and Boston really. I'm in Hampstead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd echo the traffic concern. We have a condo in Jackson, NH, and I always get out early when riding up there. I'm usually on the road well before the sun is up with a bunch of lights, plus I like being done by no later than 8:30 for time with the family. As it gets lighter earlier and earlier, I love getting out when there are no cars and you see more deer than cars over a few hours on the road.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Ride around Lake Winnipesaukee [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about Bob?
Quote Reply
Re: Ride around Lake Winnipesaukee [curdog16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
curdog16 wrote:
What about Bob?

Baby steps

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some parts of NH are better than others for road riding. Unfortunately the North Conway area is limited as is the lake Winnipesaukee area. If you go West from both there is a tun of great riding no matter the tourist season in the Plymouth area south to Franklin, over to the VT border, up to Littleton. There is a massive network of roads that are great for road riding no matter the season. The Laconia area and North Conway area are highly congested without a lot of ways around the busy roads. North Conway is however building out a great trail network for mountain biking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
curdog16 wrote:
What about Bob?

Baby steps

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Ride around Lake Winnipesaukee [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The original King of the World
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is Bob! In 2009 I rode my bike cross country from Utah to Lake Winnipesaukee and did Timberman. At the end of Timberman I was in line for the shuttle back to Gunstock, I told another competitor what I had done saying I was crazy. This competitor was a psychologist from New York and she disagreed and said I was perfectly sane.
Quote Reply