Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What don’t you eat or can’t? [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah. Salt is one of my favorite food groups!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: What don’t you eat or can’t? [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:
There is a recipe in Mexico were they serve steamed (not fried) pig skin - it is soft and squishy. with the hair sticking out, still smelling of pig b.o., and with spicy green salsa on top.

It's like someone cut off the skin from the chest of some smelly fat homeless dude and put green salsa on it.

Yeah!!!

I ate that.

But only cause I am a polite guest.

I enjoy pigs in pretty much all their glory (bacon, ham, pork), but you don't make that sound appealing.

However, reading through the previous 36 posts, everyone mentioned at least one (often several) thing/s I really enjoy...... olives, oysters, cilantro, liver, brains, tomatoes, raw fish, etc. And to the heathens who eschew spicy food, chillies are so much more than a spice or the even greatest vegetable ever, but more an essential food group and a religious experience.

Only the poster that singled out tripe was an exception, but admittedly I've yet had the opportunity to try it.

I can't abide coffee, as it tasks unpalatably bitter to me, though I have occasionally chugged some for a caffeine hit when driving or running long distances late into the night.

I'm the same, although I drink coffee. I do admit that after about 10 raw oysters, I prefer to grill them in the shell with a little hot sauce. I was surprised by the huge range of food people disliked. My daughters were this picky but they were 12. Now eat your tripe or no dessert!
Quote Reply
Re: What don’t you eat or can’t? [ubdawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ubdawg wrote:
TiDriver wrote:
I'm with you on kale. We tried every which way to make it palatable but it just didn't take.

Sadly, I don't eat mussels anymore after getting violently ill a few times after eating them.

Oysters are just flat out nasty, as are lima beans.

Don't eat veal either.

Canned or fresh lima beans. I agree on the canned, but we grow limas in our garden and they are awesome fresh. Cook them in chicken stock with garlic and red pepper flakes, but not to the point they are mushy. Keep them slightly al dente.

For me it's cilantro. I'm one of the x% of people who taste dish soap when i have cilantro.

Cilantro is evil. Ruins everything.

Tomatoes in tomato form are gross. Must be pulverised. Except ketchup. That shit is evil, too.
Quote Reply
Re: What don’t you eat or can’t? [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had to look hakarl up it was what I suspected. Was not going to try that.

In Norway I tried minke whale once in a restaurant. Didn't like it at all and felt slightly guilty after.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: What don’t you eat or can’t? [spockwaslen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spockwaslen wrote:
I had to look hakarl up it was what I suspected.

hakarl is yummy compared with surströmming.

there's a reason all those murder shows come out of Scandinavia.
Quote Reply
Re: What don’t you eat or can’t? [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't believe these bacon-haters haven't been banned yet. Does Rappstar not peruse the LR from time to time? Y'all are toast (or perhaps banished to your own bacon-hater forum).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed, Hakarl is by no means "tasty" but it's a downright delicacy compared to Surstromming. (In all fairness to the comparison I had Hakarl from some hole in the wall in Reykjavik, and Surstromming from a can - not sure how that favors either one though :D :D )

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: What don’t you eat or can’t? [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
: > mine was from a can too. We had to open it underwater, outside.

and still
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Won't eat:
1/ Wheat, for health reasons
2/ Any kind of red meat (beef, pork, lamb, veal) for a combination of health reasons, animal welfare reasons and the impact of the meat industry on global warming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am allergic to lactose so no dairy products unless they are lactose free.

Used to be a major PITA but now it is manageable. Eating out can be a bit stressful but epipens have improved significantly the last 5 or so years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No allergies.

I’ll eat and drink pretty much anything. The exceptions I can think of:

Offal, tripe, jellied eels (a big favourite of my late father), some liver (duck, chicken, goose good; cow bad), swede/rutabaga, peas (fucking hate ‘em), proper whisky from Scotland.
Quote Reply
Re: What don’t you eat or can’t? [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg66 wrote:
No allergies.

I’ll eat and drink pretty much anything. The exceptions I can think of:

Offal, tripe, jellied eels (a big favourite of my late father), some liver (duck, chicken, goose good; cow bad), swede/rutabaga, peas (fucking hate ‘em), proper whisky from Scotland.

Same here. I'm like a goat. I'll eat pretty much everything in this thread. I can't stand cream cheese--nasty.

I'll take your word and add jellied eels to my short list of something I'll never eat. That seems obvious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No allergies. And I'll try anything if it's prepared the right way.

However there are things I would prefer not to eat if I don't have to (i.e. I'll eat them if someone serves them to me and I need to be polite)
Corn: on the cob, or not, I just don't like the flavor or texture. I am also not thrilled with the fact that it comes out looking the same as it did when it went in. What's the point of corn if it goes right through you unaltered? I also dislike soft corn tortillas but I don't mind tortilla chips
Peas: The ball kind. Weird flavor and texture I dislike. Peas that come in pods are fine though.

I can't quite think of anything else that I would actively avoid though. I like almost everything

Honorable mention:
Most sweet things: Sure they taste good and I'll occasionally have something "dessert-like" but I would just as soon not bother
Quote Reply

Prev Next