Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 5 months To Kona. [luarca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After almost two years of zero travel I am confidently booking a Hawaiian vacation in August, and I'm Canadian.
It's happening.

Europe and North American vaccination rates are doing very well, with other countries soon to follow.
Tourism in Hawaii will hit pre-pandemic levels soon.
Getting a rental car for a decent price might be the biggest concern.
Quote Reply
Re: 5 months To Kona. [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
jhammond wrote:
zedzded wrote:
I dont think there will be any Australians there.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if at least the pro Aussies are working out living arrangements to live in North America for a few months prior to Kona, but you're probably right on the amature side.

Getting there I am sure won't be as much of an issue. It's more the fact we have to hotel quarantine two weeks on return and pay for the privilege to do it. The cost and time off work will deter most.

Amateurs have no hope of being allowed out of Aus. The Pros may be able to get exemptions for travel to compete as that is their business income but they would still have issues of getting flights back in. Just because you manage to buy a seat doesn't mean your flight will happen. Quarantine is the least of the difficulties.
Quote Reply
Re: 5 months To Kona. [NickMa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's good info, but it's from March. They just added 150 from IM Tulsa, and will soon add 150 more from IM CDA. I suspect we'll be at the 2K

mark by OCT.

Question for any that've previously been to Kona- I've got Zipp 808's front and rear. Right wheels? Wrong wheels? Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: 5 months To Kona. [lanceman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanceman wrote:
That's good info, but it's from March. They just added 150 from IM Tulsa, and will soon add 150 more from IM CDA. I suspect we'll be at the 2K

mark by OCT.

Question for any that've previously been to Kona- I've got Zipp 808's front and rear. Right wheels? Wrong wheels? Thoughts?

808 on the rear is ok, for the front I chose myself and I do advice a 40mm wheel: there can be spooky crosswinds on the descent from Hawi.
Quote Reply
Re: 5 months To Kona. [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree on this. I had the option of 50 or 70 front (ENVE), didn't want to bring two fronts to Kona. Brought the 50 to be safe and was glad I did. Winds were forecast to not be that bad, which they weren't, but bombing that Hawi descent was still a little sketchy even with the 50.

Edit: I just looked and I hit 52.3mph

Edit #2: 52 was actually the descent into Kawaihae. Coming down from Hawi I was at about 40mph for most of it. (~5 miles)
Last edited by: Sean H: May 27, 21 10:16
Quote Reply
Re: 5 months To Kona. [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'10" 165 lbs and no problem at all with dual 808s.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: 5 months To Kona. [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
I'm 5'10" 165 lbs and no problem at all with dual 808s.

Good to hear. I'm about one level down from you at 5'9'' 155lbs and I was planning on riding dual 808s in Kona.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Re: 5 months To Kona. [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
After almost two years of zero travel I am confidently booking a Hawaiian vacation in August, and I'm Canadian.
It's happening.

Europe and North American vaccination rates are doing very well, with other countries soon to follow.
Tourism in Hawaii will hit pre-pandemic levels soon.
Getting a rental car for a decent price might be the biggest concern.

that is all correct but, how many qualified athletes from Europe already booked the Hawaii trip? probably none. how many from Australia, Asia, Africa? same
the problem is when we will know 100% that we can enter US (Hawaii) without any burden like quarantine or similar.
Quote Reply
Re: 5 months To Kona. [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like there is a split. 808s for the rear no problem, but some want the 50 on the front.

Thanks for the feedback thus far; Love to hear some more thoughts on this.
Quote Reply

Prev Next