Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Guess the horse got some of that tainted meat [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Something screwy seems to be happening at Santa Anita - way too many horses die there...
Quote Reply
Re: Guess the horse got some of that tainted meat [0ddl0t] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree. Del Mar race track has had a lot of deaths, too.
Quote Reply
Re: Guess the horse got some of that tainted meat [0ddl0t] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
0ddl0t wrote:
Something screwy seems to be happening at Santa Anita - way too many horses die there...

It is rather strange that it happens more at SA than other tracks. I really hope none of my horses go there. And very sad about Medina Spirit.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Guess the horse got some of that tainted meat [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
0ddl0t wrote:

It is rather strange that it happens more at SA than other tracks. I really hope none of my horses go there. And very sad about Medina Spirit.

Yeah, I've had my fill of reading about horses dying there and I'd generally love to never hear the name Baffert again, unless is comes in close proximity to the word "indicted."
Quote Reply
Re: Guess the horse got some of that tainted meat [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not a super-PETA zealot. But maybe it's time to just end horse racing.

It'd probably be over real quick of some activist were ever able to just sneak a camera into a track's "kill room" and record the entire season's kills, watching badly injured horses get killed by captive bolt or however they do it. It seems like in this country it takes video to for something to seem real.

Even absent drugs, they run these horses at the edge of their cardiac and skeletal capacity, and breed them for a brief period of speed rather than lifelong durability.
Last edited by: trail: Dec 6, 21 15:11
Quote Reply
Re: Guess the horse got some of that tainted meat [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

It'd probably be over real quick of some activist were ever able to just sneak a camera into a track's "kill room" and record the entire season's kills, watching badly injured horses get killed by captive bolt or however they do it. It seems like in this country it takes video to for something to seem real.

Even absent drugs, they run these horses at the edge of their cardiac and skeletal capacity, and breed them for a brief period of speed rather than lifelong durability.

False.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Guess the horse got some of that tainted meat [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
trail wrote:

False.

Which part?

The part about lots of horses being killed after getting un-recoverable injuries while racing or training is definitely true. And I've read lots of account from current and former trainers about the practices that put the horses at signifcant risk. Including breeding practices.
Last edited by: trail: Dec 6, 21 15:16
Quote Reply
Re: Guess the horse got some of that tainted meat [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I might agree with you if horse deaths were high everywhere. But they’re not.

Didn’t the investigation of SoCal horse deaths conclude that it might be too much moisture in the soil or some such nonsense? They were going test the moisture content before races to try to prevent injuries. That’s just crazy.

It’s not the soil. It’s not the horses. The people involved have to be the problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Guess the horse got some of that tainted meat [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CallMeMaybe wrote:
Agree. Del Mar race track has had a lot of deaths, too.

When we were in CA a couple years ago, we drove past Del Mar almost every day between Encintas and Chula Vista

I offhandedly called it "The Death Camp for Horses"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply

Prev Next