Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Noob chess question [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why is your King positioned like it is, i.e a vulnerable position, little protection,
Quote Reply
Re: Noob chess question [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Can you tell me why this is checkmate? The dark Queen moved from D8 to G4. Why can’t I knock her off G4 for the win?

Your king is in a terrible position. completely exposed, and your rook is useless, blocked by the knight.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Noob chess question [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Semifinals: Day 1

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Granting that nothing good I ever come up with is original, there has to be a name for this opening attack (and the defense against it)?

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t think I’ve ever wanted to throw an iPad through a wall any more than I do right now. I pinned this guy down to where he had nowhere to go without putting himself in check, after coming back from a major deficit, and it’s ruled a draw?

What kind of highway robbery no-self-incrimination everyone gets a chess trophy horse shit nonsense is this?!?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
I don’t think I’ve ever wanted to throw an iPad through a wall any more than I do right now. I pinned this guy down to where he had nowhere to go without putting himself in check, after coming back from a major deficit, and it’s ruled a draw?

What kind of highway robbery no-self-incrimination everyone gets a chess trophy horse shit nonsense is this?!?

Yes, stalemate when you're way up hurts. In this case, the opponent's only move was to move their king into check--stalemate. Your last mistake was Qc6. If you would have played Pb6, check, you may have sacrificed the pawn but would easily have been able to mate with your queen and rook just walking the king down to checkmate.
Last edited by: zed707: Jun 3, 21 1:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Granting that nothing good I ever come up with is original, there has to be a name for this opening attack (and the defense against it)?

That’s more or less “Scholars mate”. The defense against it is to not be a moron.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would have been better, in my rookie opinion, to move the queen to c5. This checks the king while being protected by the pawn. The king's only choice would be to retreat up the board. You can then climb the ladder with the rook and queen until he hits the end of the board.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Noob chess question [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boston Mike from Coffee Chess takes on Hikaru… with a twist!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speed Chess Championship semi-final getting underway now…

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was fun to watxh
Quote Reply
Re: Noob chess question [sosayusall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was an EPIC match. Highly recommend any chess fans watch at least the last 30 minutes. Wow!
Quote Reply
Re: Noob chess question [sosayusall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some minds are just built differently…

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Some minds are just built differently…

That was good, thanks. I love watching the masters play.

I found a good chess app. It's Chess by AI Factory Limited. Google says it's the best chess app, and I agree. I play against humans on chess.com and gameknot.com, but I really like this app for playing against the computer. For example, chess.com wants me to upgrade my login to play against the computer above my skill level. FU
Quote Reply
Re: Noob chess question [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FIDE Grand Prix final goes to tie breaks after two draws in classical play.

First rapid game is nearing end game now…

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny chess story…. I donated some money for Ukraine on a chess streamer’s Twitch charity stream. By donating, I was automatically entered into a giveaway and won! Part of the prize is a chess lesson with GothamChess (Levy Rozman), an IM and YouTuber with 1.4m subscribers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I liked the Gotham Chess recaps of the Workd Championships.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No shit, that's pretty cool. I watch his videos almost exclusively when I'm in that gear. I'm a little jealous, actually.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m hoping I can actually meet him in person given he lives in NYC and I work there.

My teenage daughter and her friends don’t know what to make of it all. They either think I’m cool or a complete dork! I’m not sure which. I did offer her the lesson if she wanted it, but she declined. She said she would have the TSM sweatshirt I also won!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is some quality entertainment for any chess fans…

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still suck at chess. But I did just get mate in a 5 minute game with 0.4 seconds left on my clock. I had no idea if it was the right move or not, just knew I had to get the move in as fast as I could.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Noob chess question [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice! Sounds like your instincts took over!
Quote Reply
Re: Noob chess question [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
I still suck at chess. But I did just get mate in a 5 minute game with 0.4 seconds left on my clock. I had no idea if it was the right move or not, just knew I had to get the move in as fast as I could.

That's great that you're playing the 5 minute games. I really think that's the best way to improve quickly. I've got a higher rank, but I still like to play some speed chess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
I’m in. Username is FlyinW, hit me up.

Well 2 yrs later, sent you an invite

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply

Prev Next