Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Oakley Kato / Kato X / Encoder
Quote | Reply
Just interested to get thoughts on the new Oakley Kato and its variants. I'm using the Oakley Jawbreaker currently. I like it for how high the lens comes up, pretty usable looking out the top even in an aero position. But they seem a little overcomplicated and I'm not a huge fan of the earpieces, they don't quite seem grippy enough. I'll be curious to see if it's easy to see out the top of the Kato frameless lens, or if the top "lip" still blocks vision like a frame when down in aero.
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley Kato / Kato X / Encoder [avatar78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not really a fan of the look of the Kato glasses, but I am a bit interested in the Encoders. With the bend at the top of the lens they seem like they might be a stiffer version of the EVZeros. I love EVZeros with the Stride lenses. It's a shame you can only get that lens shape through custom now. Looks Oakley is marketing the lip at the top of the Encoder/Kato lenses as something to bridge the gap between a hat or helmet. I can't speak of the visibility through that bend in the lens though. If you're worried about visibility out of the top of your glasses why not try the EVZero. Has never been an issue for me and there is no frame or bend in the lens to obstruct your view. They very light weight as well. I don't really notice them too much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a bit of a sunglass issue so I’ll most likely wind up buying them. Not in a rush but I think they’re cool.

They do make kato x that doesn’t have the nose covered. Not sure how much that differs from encoder they look the same to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First time seeing the Encoder--looks like a nice set of shades. The Kato looks like it would not breath well with the nose covered, but would add protection from the nose getting burned if you don't have sunscreen on. It'll be interesting to see how well they sell. I like the rimless top that comes up higher on shades so in the aero position--the frame doesn't interfere with vision. Not a ton of aero position rimless shades out there until the last couple years it seems, that come up higher. I know the 100% that Sagan uses is one of them & EKOI...a few others.
Quote Reply