Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Running Rewired" experiences
Quote | Reply
I've seen the book "Running Rewired" by Jay Dicharry recommended in a couple threads and I'm curious to hear people's experiences who have gotten the book and followed the workouts.

I've done very little, and at several times zero, running over the past ~15 months as I've bounced from one running issue to another. I just can't seem to get back to where I was, which was pretty carefree and injury free running and racing. It's been frustrating. I've already written this year off as another lost season (doesn't help that my pool has been closed since last March). So instead of racing I hope to find a way back to regular run training and Running Rewired seems like it might be a good place to start.

Anyone use the book and have thoughts, experiences, suggestions you'd like to share?
Quote Reply
Re: "Running Rewired" experiences [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the book and have sen Jay for some PT work in the past. I got the book just because PT visits are just too danged expensive and can jump into "plans" for prehab work.

The exercises in the book are pretty straightforward. There are only a few there that when I was working with him in person that needed more directions on form to target the correct area. Some videos are out there showing form. For the price of the book, you can't lose. The only thing you need is the motivation and dedication to stick to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got the book and loved it so much I just use it with the athletes I coach. The weight work is amazing, his ideas are simple and straightforward.

I had some popliteal tendinitis when I started lifting and honestly it was the biggest contributor to my feeling better. Dropped the ball with covid restrictions but am heading to the gym now to sign up and get that first workout in. The weights and jumping program is enough and not too much to keep you strong and healthy. Hopefully it will help you - but I can't see anyway it hurts.

He's on a ton of podcasts too - seems like the nicest dude - super smart and dumbs it down for us. Highly recommend the book.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: "Running Rewired" experiences [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AKCrafty wrote:
I have the book and have sen Jay for some PT work in the past. I got the book just because PT visits are just too danged expensive and can jump into "plans" for prehab work.

The exercises in the book are pretty straightforward. There are only a few there that when I was working with him in person that needed more directions on form to target the correct area. Some videos are out there showing form. For the price of the book, you can't lose. The only thing you need is the motivation and dedication to stick to it.

Did it help out with the issues you were having and how long did it take? And are these exercises you still do regularly or once you're feeling good you switch to some "maintenance mode" exercises?

I'm not asking in hopes of a quick fix (though I'd love a quick fix). I'm asking from the perspective of someone who's seen two different PTs over the past year and a half and who took up Pilates in hopes of ridding myself of various nagging run issues. With no races on the calendar and over a year of frustration I hope I have all the motivation and time to stick to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have less injuries and can handle higher volume when I'm consistently following my routine. I think it's important to have some sort of assessment to find the root of the cause(s) though. The great thing about the book is that if you know it's your hips, for example, there is a section on that area and you can add a few more of those to your routine.
Quote Reply
Re: "Running Rewired" experiences [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AKCrafty wrote:
I have less injuries and can handle higher volume when I'm consistently following my routine. I think it's important to have some sort of assessment to find the root of the cause(s) though. The great thing about the book is that if you know it's your hips, for example, there is a section on that area and you can add a few more of those to your routine.

Thanks. I've ordered the book and it'll possibly be here tomorrow. The magic of Prime.

One of the persistent issues I've been dealing with is an irritated/painful tibialis posterior muscle. Neither of the two PTs I've seen have been able to figure out why it's inflamed, not moving well, and seems like it's "constantly on." Several months and no solutions so far (tried active release, dry needling, cupping, and a whole host of calf, Achilles, and foot exercises).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not read the rewind book, just watched the videos. I think the movement practices are great. When I work with athletes who are having running problems I first asses their current running form. It’s fairly easy to see what’s going on from the current form. One of the biggest issues I see with athletes especially older is lack of hip joint mobility. When you are not getting rotation in your hips your body has to make it up. Usually what happens is the foot turns out or rotates. Do that enough times and anywhere up the chain from the foot to your hip can and will scream at you. I’m not diagnosing your problem here I’m simply telling you what I see often. When I see that I find the video from Kelly Starrett that addresses the issue. Here is yours https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8vay90655Q from there we go to a movement pattern like running rewind or Yoga. Finally we always start back slowly with heavy emphasis on drills and strides.

It’s great that your reached out. I hope you are back to running soon.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My right side is slightly shorter than my left. There are some other weird problems with my right side that have plagued me for 25 years. I got the book last year along with the stupidly overpriced wobble board. It has helped and I recommend it to anyone who is a serious runner. My biggest problem is that I need to be more regular in doing the exercises.
Quote Reply
Re: "Running Rewired" experiences [tomljones3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tomljones3 wrote:
My right side is slightly shorter than my left. There are some other weird problems with my right side that have plagued me for 25 years. I got the book last year along with the stupidly overpriced wobble board. It has helped and I recommend it to anyone who is a serious runner. My biggest problem is that I need to be more regular in doing the exercises.

I saw that wobble board. Stupidly overpriced but effective? Or just stick with the exercises in the book?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Northy wrote:
I saw that wobble board. Stupidly overpriced but effective? Or just stick with the exercises in the book?

Both stupidly overpriced and extremely effective.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can honestly say the book saved my running. I completely tore my patellar tendon in 2018. I used Running Rewired as my go to rehab book and ran a sub 3 marathon 16 months after my injury. I still follow the workouts religiously, and give it to all of my running buddies
Quote Reply