Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Say I want to get to Scotland
Quote | Reply
Hi all -

So say I want to get to Scotland to hang with some friends socially distanced around June 12.

How would be best to get there from the US? Would get to England, spend the night and head to Scotland the next day work since one can travel between other parts of the UK and Scotland but can’t fly in directly?

Thoughts?

Edited to correct to England
Last edited by: toddm72478: May 6, 21 7:20
Quote Reply
Re: Say I want to get to Scotland [toddm72478] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know any pilots? Across Quebec, to Baffin island, to Greenland, to Iceland, to Faroe Island, to Scotland. It'd take about 4-5 days if weather is good. A lot more if it isn't. Careful with fluids there's no bathroom aboard. Oh you will need a dry suit, a dinghy, special insurance for the Danish government SAR, and a sat phone. Good luck!
Last edited by: Dilbert: May 5, 21 20:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may well be fine by June, but until further lifting of restrictions I wouldn’t bother.

Scottish government are lifting more slowly than Westminster, and even if you can get around the current ban on international arrivals, you’re still going to be pretty limited once you’re there. Groups of 6 from 2 households in cafes/pubs or groups of 6 outdoors.

We live in Cambridgeshire, but home is St Andrews. Not been home for years, lockdown v1 ruined our plans last summer (including the Scottish TT championships for me!). We’re waiting for summer and (hopefully) less restrictions before travelling up.

Of course, in the unlikely event there is a new government after the election today, this may all change quickly.

Instagram: @hallidaydavidf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to make one small correction, don't hate me for it. Scotland is part of the UK. UK is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Great Britain is England, Scotland and Wales.
Last edited by: knighty76: May 6, 21 2:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have to quarantine in one place in England when you land - this is for 5 days if you pay for tests - or for 10 if you don't.

They are now monitoring this and there are pretty substantial fines for not.

As Scotland and Westminster make different rules (you know - because Scotland) then you can't land in England and quarantine in Scotland.

As above - that's based on todays rules, who knows what they'll have decided by next week......

After June the 21st there are going to be less rules - at least that's what we're being bribed with at the moment.
Quote Reply
Re: Say I want to get to Scotland [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
I'm going to make one small correction, don't hate me for it. Scotland is part of the UK. UK is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Great Britain is England, Scotland and Wales.

Fixed. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'd have to find out if you're cleared to fly US to England for pleasure rather than business, hotel Quarantine for I believe 5 days (unless its changed to a regime of testing/vaccine passports instead by then... and news on our vaccine apps capabilities hasn't been positive that it'll be ready or functional), then travel to Scotland post quarantine if you are allowed to stay in self contained accommodation in Scotland by that point (you are allowed in England but Scottish parliament sets its own legislation in this area due to the quasi-federal structure in place from devolution so I'm unsure on their rules on this). You then would obviously be subject to all regulations, and I'd imagine would have a reasonably similar rigorous process for getting back home.

Honestly, I'd say all that makes it not worth it, when hopefully waiting a month or two will make it far more open and easy to travel (at least here in the UK is the plan), but I'm in no place to call what you think is a good idea/worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: Say I want to get to Scotland [DFH84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why did you move to the flatlands?! I look out the window every day and wonder where the bloody hills are...

Looks like there's not even test to release in Scotland at the mo - ÂŁ1750 for a 10 day quarantine...
Quote Reply