Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Went FLO 90/Disc. I'm 145lbs, am I going to die?
Quote | Reply
Went aluminum/carbon as I ride a QR CD 0.1 and the brakes are worse than awful. I'm a pretty OK MTBer so I've been telling myself I'll have no issues with a 90/Disc setup.

Am I going to die? First race is next weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Went FLO 90/Disc. I'm 145lbs, am I going to die? [BuildingSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am 150lb and have used a 80 upfront plenty of times, you’ll only notice it if the wind is gusting perpendicular to you

The rear disc should have no effect on stability at all

If things get sketchy you can just grab onto the bull horns and still maintain a pretty low position for the periods where you need more control

Clubs/Affiliations: The Rippers / Charles River Wheelers / Cambridge Sports Union
Quote Reply
Re: Went FLO 90/Disc. I'm 145lbs, am I going to die? [BuildingSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's really deep up front. I run a 60mm front HED and a HED Vanquisher disc rear. I've run as deep as 85mm up front with a set of Williams 80's. I weighed closer to 165lbs at the time and had no issues. Even ran them at IM 70.3 New Orleans with 30mph wind and 50mph gusts. That was white knuckle though.

I'm now at 150lbs and have been at 145lbs. At 145lbs I definitely feel crosswinds much more and have felt like I'm going to be picked right off the ground before. Obviously that's never happened, but sometimes I've had to lean into crosswinds before to stabilize my bike. You shouldn't have an issue, but I do think you will feel the wind no doubt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you use them yet, or are you waiting on getting them in?

I would ride as much as you can on them (obviously while making sure you aren't over reaching to tire yourself for race day).

Probably too late, but the Hed Jet Black braking surface is great. Check them out if you are able to return the flos
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've run a Flo 90/90 (Kona) and a Flo 90/Disk (elsewhere) on that very bike, at that weight, for years. you will not die.

TriRig brakes front and back solves your CD01 brake problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A disc in back actually should theoretically make it more stable if im not mistaken

reason is it pushes the center of pressure back which means it is farther from the rotation point of the front wheel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The wheels have a black annodized aluminum brake track so that should massively help the braking issues as I have already had the strong pull dura-ace levers installed on the bike. Yes I have new pads.

Going from full carbon 50/50 that I've ridden for years so I do have experience with deep-ish section rims in high winds.

Do not have the wheels installed yet, hopefully tonight. But I am planning on getting as many miles in as I can before next weekend. I'm a big believer in training what you race so I should get plenty of experience, but that doesn't make me not nervous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BuildingSpeed wrote:
Went aluminum/carbon as I ride a QR CD 0.1 and the brakes are worse than awful. I'm a pretty OK MTBer so I've been telling myself I'll have no issues with a 90/Disc setup.

No. I'm still alive. Zipp 858 in the front and disc in the back. I'm 128lbs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have that wheelset on a Felt IA and have no issues. I'm near 145 lbs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will be fine, and you will fly.
  • If you ride a few times before the race, you will be gold
  • Your braking will be massively improved over full carbon
  • You will only have potential issues if you are experiencing major sidewind gusts (like >20MPH)
  • If you have MTB skills, then you will just absorb the first gust, acknowledge it, and move on

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BuildingSpeed wrote:

You are absolutely going to die. Very few of us make it off this rock alive!

Seriously though, dont skimp on braking...try swapping out the pad compound. If you can not reliably brake, you can not reliably go fast.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
"I've run as deep as 85mm up front with a set of Williams 80's"

Are you saying that a Williams 80 wheel is actually 85mm deep?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's all about getting time on them before hand.. I'd ride them every day between now and then and really work on getting comfortable with the feel/handling of the wheels. I'm of the generation that rode front discs in road TT's.. so anything is possible if you're prepared for it, but if you go out on them for the first time in your event you're performance will likely suffer as your brain will be focusing on the new/weird/different way your bike is handling and not on going fast.

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Re: Went FLO 90/Disc. I'm 145lbs, am I going to die? [adoucett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adoucett wrote:

I find it's more stable when going straight, but less stable in turns.
It's not because of wind though.
Wheels without spokes just feel different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BuildingSpeed wrote:

Well, when did you buy that and fit it up to ride?

I ride my 90/disc all the time for a almost weekly practice TT. If you've never ridden it before that event, if the event is really windy I'd punt on using those as you'll come out of aero and soft pedal a lot.

If you're used to it, or there is no wind, you can hammer on through no problem.

The 90 is the thing to learn to ride, not the disc. The disc doesn't matter really.
Quote Reply
Re: Went FLO 90/Disc. I'm 145lbs, am I going to die? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
adoucett wrote:

I find it's more stable when going straight, but less stable in turns.
It's not because of wind though.
Wheels without spokes just feel different.

The Flo Disc is a spoked wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Went FLO 90/Disc. I'm 145lbs, am I going to die? [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paired the wheels with some nice Silca latex tubes and valve extenders; its my first time on pink rubber. Thank you from Indy for creating such kick ass stuff!
Quote Reply
Re: Went FLO 90/Disc. I'm 145lbs, am I going to die? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
"I've run as deep as 85mm up front with a set of Williams 80's"

Are you saying that a Williams 80 wheel is actually 85mm deep?

I'm pretty sure. Just as my Flo 60's were 62.5mm depth.
Quote Reply