Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Apple Airtags
Quote | Reply
Just ordered a few of these and will be attaching to my bikes for extra security, however I was wondering if they could also be used for tracking during an event?

As we come out of lockdown and more people will be spectating then I'm assuming the airtag could pick up idevices as they ride / run past giving family and friends the opportunity to track more precisely?
Quote Reply
Re: Apple Airtags [valleyboy74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would probably work well on the run if there are spectators, as well as in transition.

Not sure if blowing through aid stations on the bike would allow the phones on the folks working there to log the tag, or if passing cars would either.

I’m guessing folks will test this at races in the coming weeks.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine arrived on Monday.
I doubt they could be easily used to track someone during an event as they rely on the presence of other iPhones nearby, which out on the bike would be a major issue.
I am still diving deep into how I can use them, I brought 8 for some reason, go figure!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just reading up on things more now.
It seems only the owner can track the tags...they don't work across the usual family sharing features of "find my"....
So only if you are willing to give your phone to your significant other can they track you!
Quote Reply
Re: Apple Airtags [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I was more thinking that my wife could track me using my phone.

Will be interesting to see if spectators etc. would pick up the AirTag while you go past on the bike, mine are coming today so will test it out over the next few week whilst training.

Amnesia wrote:
It seems only the owner can track the tags...they don't work across the usual family sharing features of "find my"....
So only if you are willing to give your phone to your significant other can they track you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How & where are people attaching these to their bikes? Semi hidden places like under the saddle?
Quote Reply
Re: Apple Airtags [FFigawi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably in my saddle bag or under the seat on road bike but think I'll have room in the seat post on my Cervelo P5 so may put it there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only issue I can see with these is that if your bike get stolen the airtag will be following the thief's phone and when that person returns 'home' it will notify them that an airtag is following them, this will obviously alert them to the fact the bike is tagged
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
valleyboy74 wrote:
The only issue I can see with these is that if your bike get stolen the airtag will be following the thief's phone and when that person returns 'home' it will notify them that an airtag is following them, this will obviously alert them to the fact the bike is tagged

Not always. This doesn’t work that well.

Its only About a 20% success rate of alerting them.

And its still Better than nothing.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Apple Airtags [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They also start beeping after 3 days?..Further alerting the thief, so you better hope that you successfully tracked your bike to the thief’s home in the first 24 hours before they were alerted to the AirTag presence, and were able to recover the bike before they ditch the AirTag and move the bike.

I can see why they made the feature/functionality choices they did in order to minimize tracking of people without their knowledge, but it makes for a significantly worse theft tracker.
Last edited by: ia_triguy: May 10, 21 22:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
valleyboy74 wrote:
Yeah I was more thinking that my wife could track me using my phone.

Will be interesting to see if spectators etc. would pick up the AirTag while you go past on the bike, mine are coming today so will test it out over the next few week whilst training.

Amnesia wrote:

You can take a tracker tied to her phone and carry it during the race. That way she can just use her phone. At least for the run, it should log at every aid station, since the volunteers will have phones.

Also, it’s probably helpful for joining back up with you post race.

Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Apple Airtags [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a bad solution for a set and forget type deal and can also see some on eBay USA. Looks like as neat as it comes.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/...0:g:P-oAAOSwzP9gltpz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone tried riding/running with these yet (w/o your phone, of course)?

Under what conditions did you get tracking points?

-Running/riding past pedestrians?

-Stopped at lights near cars?

-Passing cars?

-Passing other cyclists/runners?

-Riding w/others?

Quote Reply
Re: Apple Airtags [hjws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hjws wrote:
Not a bad solution for a set and forget type deal and can also see some on eBay USA. Looks like as neat as it comes.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/...0:g:P-oAAOSwzP9gltpz

That’s pretty clever

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Apple Airtags [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

-Passing cars?

-Riding w/others?

It's hard to test this as you only get point-in-time location, not a history track. You'd have to set a system/phone to do screen grabs of the 'Find My' Item screen every x minutes. If an AirTag is "stalking you" you'll get a basic history track... but that's not the scenario you're talking about.

To answer the question of how often a tag was detected by other iPhone/iDevice owners - it's a LOT. I've been testing these in all different ways over the last few week(s) as the Apple documentation is next to useless.. In short, they work scary well. Pinging off others every ~8minutes or so at a local park/running track. About the same when I put one in the car glovebox and parked it on the street (a shopping strip).

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Apple Airtags [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

-Passing cars?

-Riding w/others?

If it can be used for mail packages, I think it'd work for cycling/running. :)

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/05/12/airtag-tracked-across-the-uk/
Quote Reply